Kaye: Yes, You are Just a Mom

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes
  • 1 Post By adi&co.
  • 1 Post By ub33422
  • 1 Post By blessdmommy
  • 1 Post By .Katie.
  • 1 Post By Jessido
  • 1 Post By Twisted Cinderella
  • 2 Post By .Katie.
  • 1 Post By cindyscotty
  • 4 Post By adi&co.

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 14th, 2012, 04:21 PM
This showed up on my FB news feed an hour ago:

Childfree Kaye: Yes, You are JUST a Mom

What strikes me is that this girl is only 18 years old (check her profile to the right on the page). She's only been an adult for a short time, so I don't really think she knows anything. But, that said, I'm not sure what I think about this.

Opinions?
June 14th, 2012, 04:38 PM
adi&co.
well i AM a mom and those things still annoy me. I'm a mom. i'm not any of those things. I do their job sometimes in my day for a small amount of time but i don't do it all day every day. I'm a mom. People need to just say "being a mom isn't all flowers and rainbows. there's tons of ***** in there too!" and to be honest, she's not a mom. she's assuming that all of us can't work a day in our lives but thanks very much, i've been a mom AND a waitress and being a waitress was way easier than being a mom! Her idea of what we do is not what we actually do and she will eat her words if she wants kids. but what's funny is... she doesn't want kids because she doesn't like them. for the reasons she doesn't like them... yeah all of those make being a mom hard. how can you say you don't want kids because of x y and z and then turn around and insinuate we do nothing?
Jessido likes this.
June 14th, 2012, 04:57 PM
She actually said being a waitress wasn't easy, not that it was harder than being a mom. Maybe she did mean that, though? Or maybe she's trying to say there's a difference between a "mom waitress" and a "regular waitress"? I'm not sure. But her post focuses on the bigger jobs (she repeatedly mentions nurses, for example)

I read her other post. It sounds like she doesn't like kids because she had to care for her younger sister growing up (she mentions she's a first-born).
June 14th, 2012, 06:15 PM
Amylizz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
She sounds bitter and extremely ignorant. Good luck to her!

June 14th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Veteran
Those that fight it - are the first to fall... Just sayin'....
TnPhotoMama81 likes this.
June 14th, 2012, 09:44 PM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
Meh. I used to consider myself "childfree" too at one point so her rant doesn't bother me a bit and I can agree with some of the points made.

I roll my eyes quite frequently when I see facebook posts like that (the whole "I'm not JUST a mom" stuff). Yeah being a mom can be trying at times but I feel like I have it pretty dang good and I certainly don't complain about it. I'd much rather stay at home and take care of our household than hold a full time job. I am weird though and I actually love cleaning/organizing/cooking/keeping everything super neat and tidy lol.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop

Last edited by TnPhotoMama81; June 15th, 2012 at 11:03 AM.
June 14th, 2012, 10:55 PM
That was the one point I did agree with her on. I guess she's seen those posts one too many times. They can really grate on your nerves after a while.
June 15th, 2012, 05:28 AM
blessdmommy's Avatar Happy mama to 3!
Send a message via AIM to blessdmommy
I don't agree with the sign thing that says if you're a mom that you're 124234 other things too. I find that I'm all those things for a short period of time to help accomplish our daily goals and keep everyone safe, happy and healthy.

She sounds bitter and very ignorant of what being a mom really is.
Amylizz likes this.

Mama to 3, expecting #4 in December!

June 15th, 2012, 09:08 AM
She added this:

Quote:
EDIT: I wanted to add that I realize being a mom is very hard. This post wasn't meant to debate which jobs are harder than being a mom and which are easier. It was to address how calling one's self all these things was an insult to those who actually work in the professions and essentially just attention-seeking.
So I guess she's not that ignorant.
June 15th, 2012, 09:30 AM
.Katie.
Haters wanna hate lovers wanna love!
June 15th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Jessido's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont like those cheesy facebook posts but I don't ever get anyone saying that I'm "just a mom" either. Most people in this day and age realize that being a SAHM is tough work sometimes. I don't claim to be a nurse, chef, chauffeur, etc but being a SAHM is a lot more than just doing a load of laundry and making a PBJ. It is a thankless but rewarding job. My DH used to say "but you dont work..." when I talked about needing a break when he came home from work (he has since wisened up). A lot of people think being a SAHM is a life of luxury and those facebook posts are just illustrating that it's a tough job and we DO WORK. That girl (yes, GIRL) is only 18 and if/when she has a children and stays home with them then she may be a little more understanding. I dont think those cheesy posts are whining and complaining about having kids, it's just that SAHM moms DO deserve some respect and it seems like this chick doesn't wanna give any.

Avery. 4/11
June 15th, 2012, 10:36 AM
.Katie.
I don't disagree with the 'I'm everything' post (though I didn't personally feel the need to post it. Everyone on my FB already knows I kick ***. ) The girl that wrote this probably has a bunch of friends that are married, having kids, and happy and this was the only way she could make herself feel better. She sounds like a sad lady.
June 15th, 2012, 11:31 AM
Twisted Cinderella's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I find the post offensive. I chose to be a mom, but it is a full-time job. Any other job is hard, but you also get to go home and take time off, you get to shake off your job every once in a while and just be yourself. I have four kids, three of whom are under four and one of whom is only 2 1/2 months old. My oldest daughter has high-functioning autism. I homeschool her because public school was destroying her self-esteem. I am tired, I struggle to keep up with all that I need to do while still have the energy to just enjoy my kids. I LOVE my job, I work hard to do it as well as I can. There is nothing JUST about my being a mom.
Jessido likes this.
Mommy to: Baby Girl #1 born 01/27/2002 at 1:22 am, Baby Girl #2 born 07/22/2008 at 9:54 am, An Angel at 9 wks on 06/04/2007, 4:30 am, Baby Girl #3 born 12/22/10, and Baby Boy born 03/21/12 at 10:53 am

My blog
June 15th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Quote:
The girl that wrote this probably has a bunch of friends that are married, having kids, and happy and this was the only way she could make herself feel better. She sounds like a sad lady.
I would hope not. Considering she's only 18, that would mean her friends, unless they are years older than her, married and are having kids right out of high school. I mean no offense to anyone, but I don't think it's a good idea to marry and have kids that young. I got married a month after my high school graduation at 18 and, although I love my husband, I wish I had waited a couple years.
June 15th, 2012, 11:50 AM
.Katie.
The older our girls get the busier things are. You don't just have doctors appts anymore, you have dance, sports, sleepovers, and birthday parties. Getting them dressed isn't all you do to get them ready for the day anymore. There's hair to be done, homework to be checked, and schedules to adhere to. Our oldest is only 8 and we're already moving at a fast pace! My life looks nothing like it did when I had my first, my second, or even after adopting our oldest as my own (she's my stepdaughter).

Yeah things are slower when you first start out as a parent but that's a good thing! I think it's neat how just as they grow out of infancy into childhood, we kind of grow in our own stages as parents as well.
June 15th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Josie+Shpala's Avatar Я русская)))))
I couldn't be a SAHM mum lol. I'm actually counting down the days until I go back to work While I love being a mum and I love my daughter to death, being a SAHM was something I never wanted to do. Maybe if I had older kids, like 2-5 (children here in Russia don't go to school until 6 or 7), I wouldn't mind because we can do things but having a one month old makes the days drag by. It's become so repetitive and I'm going crazy
June 16th, 2012, 05:10 AM
First timer
Yes we all chose to be mothers but that doesn't mean we can't complain sometimes thAt it is hard work just like my friends complain that their job is hard! Saying that I used to feel the same way about moms...like what is the big deal...suck it up.... You get to take naps all day! Oh how my opinion has changed!!! Live and learn!
Amylizz likes this.

Proud mommy to COOPER
June 16th, 2012, 05:46 AM
adi&co.
Quote:
Originally Posted by cindyscotty View Post
like what is the big deal...suck it up.... You get to take naps all day! Oh how my opinion has changed!!! Live and learn!
get to take naps all day... that's a good one! haha!

Tags
blog , mom , mommy , opinion , young

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search