Getting baby to sleep

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By Blue-Jay
  • 1 Post By kellysensei

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2012, 02:00 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm sure this has been asked already, but how do you get your baby to sleep at night? We are having major issues. Evan won't settle down and sleep until 11:30PM or later most nights, and it's taking a big toll on us. I feed him between 8:30-9PM and try to put him down then (he often but not always falls asleep at the breast then), but he wakes up screaming within a couple minutes. So I'll take him downstairs to soothe him (don't want to wake up DS1 upstairs), but he won't fall asleep, and he'll cry again around 10 or 10:30 and I'll have to feed him again. Every once in a while, he'll stay sleeping at that point when I put him in the pack n play, but usually when I put him down, he'll wake up instantly AGAIN and my husband will have to rock him for 20-25 minutes before he FINALLY stays asleep.

I don't think he likes the pack n play, and technically he's too big for it, but he doesn't seem to like the crib, either, and putting him down in the crib is very difficult because it's in DS1's room and he has a habit lately of sleeping on the floor against the door so we can't even enter.

HELP! Should we just let him cry it out, even if it means waking up our other son? I can't stand these late nights and 4AM wake-up calls to nurse. DS1 was an amazing sleeper, so I'm not used to this.

(I'm having major issues getting him to nap, too. Some days he only naps 1.5-2 hours all day; less than my 2-year-old.)

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

June 22nd, 2012, 03:26 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I normally put Winter in her swing around 9. I feed her about 8, she gets fussy and sleepy. I put her in her swing, swaddle her in it, put a paci in her mouth, and leave the room. Sometimes she goes right to sleep, and sometimes she cries for a minute. That's all I do, though.

A lot of naps I just lay her on the bed. She'll fall asleep watching the fan.

Three on Earth and seven in Heaven.

http://arwenart.com
June 22nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I'm incredibly sorry to hear this! Robby asks to go to his crib at night, and when he gets in there he talks to himself until he falls asleep, so it's easy. If I were you, I'd start with naps. When you can tell he's about to fall asleep, pop him in the crib and walk away. If he cries longer than 5 minutes, go in and pat him and give him his pacifier or whatever he uses for comfort (Robby needs a lovey), talk to him softly, kiss him, and leave again. You probably will need a couple of weeks before he reliably goes to sleep in there for his naps. Then you can start practicing at night. But if you start it in the day, the night shouldn't be so hard, and it shouldn't mean a lot of nights with your other son awake, too.

By the way, he is super adorable!
kellysensei likes this.

June 23rd, 2012, 01:04 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Sorry you're having so much trouble! We started co sleeping (something we weren't planning on doing at all) because we were in a similar situation as you when she was a newborn. DH gets her ready for bed usually around 9 and brings her to me and I nurse her in bed till she falls asleep. Then I sneak out. Sometimes she wakes up before we go back to bed around 11-12 but it's not hard to get her to fall asleep again; she usually falls asleep within a few mins. Then we come to bed and usually she doesn't wake up. If she wakes up during it's in the very early morning and I whip out the boob without hardly waking up myself and then fall back asleep. Since she doesn't cry when she wakes up DH doesn't wake up at all.

Like I said, never thought we'd co sleep but we quickly found this is the way we all get the best rest. It's easier to get her to sleep at night than in the day...naps are pretty difficult for us.

Last edited by lovemylittlemiss; June 23rd, 2012 at 01:09 AM.
June 23rd, 2012, 07:08 AM
Well, we tried a tough love approach last night when Evan woke up screaming at 11:20PM after having slept only 40 minutes. I left him in his pack n play and let him cry, checking in on him every 5-7 minutes to kiss him and tell him "I love you; go to sleep." He screamed bloody murder for 35 minutes this way, then started to settle down and suck on his hands. By 12:25 he was fully asleep again and he slept almost eight hours! Hallelujah... Gonna try the same thing tonight (though hopefully earlier).

June 23rd, 2012, 08:09 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
You are brave! Keep it up; it'll get better!

June 24th, 2012, 06:21 AM
Wow, I put Evan down last night at 10PM (I'd just fed him but he was wide awake), turned on some white noise, and left the room. He cried for just 13 minutes this time, then played with his hands and cooed/babbled for a while. He was asleep by 11PM and slept eight hours again!

I'm so excited that he might start going to bed when we want him to and that DH and I can have some time together again! Now to get him out of our room and into the crib in DS1's room...
Blue-Jay likes this.

June 24th, 2012, 02:10 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ive only just seen this post but I would have done the 'tough love' thing too, and it seems it's working! Good job!

We let Lucy cry for a bit, going in just to turn on her glowing musical seahorse. I don't look at her, turn any light on, I don't talk to her. I just turn her seahorse on and if she is HYSTERICAL i'll stroke her forehead (without her being able to see me) she cries off and on for about 10 minutes then she is asleep for the night. If she wakes crying in the night she usually self settles within a minute or 2. I don't feed in the night anymore, she is capable of going the distance.

June 25th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Last update for now: Evan cried for just four minutes last night, was asleep by 9:45PM, and slept TEN HOURS! Woo-hoo!

June 25th, 2012, 08:19 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I'm so happy for you! You guys are the poster family for "tough love" lol!

June 25th, 2012, 07:19 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by kellysensei View Post
Last update for now: Evan cried for just four minutes last night, was asleep by 9:45PM, and slept TEN HOURS! Woo-hoo!
Just curious...is your baby breastfed or bottle fed?
June 26th, 2012, 06:01 AM
Breastfed. We can't get him to take a bottle for the life of us.

June 26th, 2012, 07:33 AM
Coby Jaylen Aubriya mom
I just swaddle her and lay her in her crib i let her whine it out every night. She whines and throws a couple screams in their for about 15 min. if she gets hysterical i will rub her belly or hair. if that doesnt work ill pick her up and calm her down then lie her down again.
June 27th, 2012, 01:03 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you're making progress. I put Claire in her jammies around 7:30 or 8. She nurses on and off all evening and eventually conks out on the boob anywhere between 8 and 9.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search