Sleeping through the night... Update!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 22nd, 2012, 08:41 PM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
For the past few weeks our little girl has gone from a schedule of....

Eat at 9pm and down to bed at 9:30-10pm

Up at 3-4 to eat... right back to sleep.

Up at 6-7 to eat again back to sleep

Wake up at 8-9 eat and up for the day.

She has acid reflux so she is a high maintenance baby but she has always been a really good night sleeper.... no waking for unexplained reasons or crying. Once she finishes eating she goes right back to sleep. But I was so ready for this because my girl doesn't really nap much.... a 30 min nap is good for her so I wasn't able to take any naps during the day. We'd had about a month or less of this steady routine to go for no reason (i.e. no change in day routine or sleeping arrangements) to a routine of....

Eat at 9pm and to bed at 9:30-10pm

Up at 1-2 to eat

up at 3-4 to eat

Up at 5-6 to eat

Up at 7:30 to eat

Wake up at 8-9

The last few nights it's gotten worse, she's woken up at 11 wanting to eat as well.... and even woken up a few times crying.... wanting a pacifier (Know this because she doesn't want to nurse just sits there and was just as happy with a pacifier sitting in her mouth.) This means I woke up two more Additional times to give her the pacifier.

She is still a high maintenance baby during the day and I feel like a zombie. She has also the past few days decided bottles where out.... I guess she heard me thinking of having Dad take a few feeding just so I could get Some sleep.....

I don't jump the first few whimpers to make sure she is actually awake and needing something and isn't just gonna drift off to sleep on her own. Being four months old she can't actually need to eat that much at night right? I haven't gotten up this much since she was a newborn... at least then she napped during the day.

Any ideas why this could be happening? Or hints on what to do? Help!!

*Update*

Thanks everyone for their advice! She is now back to her previous schedule.... whew!!

I decided to start giving her a tiny bit of cereal before her bedtime feeding at 9pm and the second night in she slept great.

I had originally planned on waiting to introduce solids until 6 months but I guess she had other plans. She really likes the oatmeal cereal, she hasn't really gotten the concept of opening wide for the spoon, but she sucks the cereal off the spoon if I get the tip of it in her mouth.... too cute! Really fun to watch her get excited about getting to 'eat' like one of us. She watches the spoon so intently..... ha ha. Growing up waaayy too fast!

Last edited by HubbysSweetheart; June 28th, 2012 at 11:16 AM.
June 23rd, 2012, 02:36 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Is it possible she's teething?I haven't experienced this so I don't have any tips. Hope the nights get better soon!

June 23rd, 2012, 10:55 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I tried to comment on this last night, but JM messed up. =P So here I try again! =)

My first child did the exact same thing as a baby. Turns out she needed more than boob juice. Started feeding her real food, and she started sleeping through the night again. Just got too big for milk alone.

Winter keeps a paci at night or sucks her fingers. She has been sleeping through, but is now waking up once or twice. Time for her to eat, too.

If all else fails: homeopathic teething tablets, orajel, and tylenol FTW!

Last edited by Spyctre; June 23rd, 2012 at 10:57 AM.
June 23rd, 2012, 02:20 PM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
If she's waking up that often, I wouldn't feed her every time. At this age/weight, they really don't need to eat more than once (or at all) overnight. (My porker usually still wakes up once, though, to eat.) Are you willing to let her cry at all? I let Evan cry last night for over 1/2 hour, checking in on him every five minutes or so. He eventually fell back asleep on his own and slept his longest time ever, 8 hours! Try a white noise CD or iPad app, too - we tried it with Evan this afternoon for his nap and he's been sleeping 3.5 hours!

Here's a good article on sleep, too.
http://www.parents.com/baby/sleep/is...eep-in-7-days/

I agree with the others, though, too, that it's probably time to start baby foods!

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

June 26th, 2012, 10:27 AM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Could it be teething? Or maybe just not feeling well?

My girl went from sleeping 8 hours straight, to 4 hours, to every 2 hours...and back and forth and its happened several times.

June 27th, 2012, 08:29 AM
Veteran
Babies just have their own schedules sometimes.maybe it is just a phase..I know that each one of my children were different.
:mommyDeAnna 7/28 Whitney 4/7 Naomi 6/24 Katerina 1/27 Gracie 5/25 Magdalina 6/8Berachiah 6/8 Peter 2/20 Deanna 19,whitney 15,Naomi 13,Katerina 8,Gracie 7,Magdalina 5,Berachiah 3,Peter 4 months and counting.
June 28th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Platinum Supermommy
It is normal for their sleeping patterns to change. Chances are this is not going to last too long. Babies have a tendency to be more restless around the time they hit major milestones, growth spurts, or of course for teething. If I were you I would just continue nursing. If this is a growth spurt then she really needs the milk. If it lasts more than a couple of weeks, then I would think about exploring options like cosleeping to help, so all you have to do is pop a boob in her mouth and fall back asleep. But I think I have more of an AP style of parenting than most here. I know that sleep deprivation is tough though. Ds is a good sleeper, but dd was not! Hopefully she starts sleeping better for you soon.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
June 29th, 2012, 07:17 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you found something that worked for you!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search