Breast Pumps

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 28th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Ok, I'll start the first thread in here.

So I'm planning on breastfeeding but would also like to have a pump. I've heard that you can sometimes borrow or rent pumps from hospitals. Has anyone done this? How does that work and how do you find out about it?

I was also wondering about buying used pumps. How do you know which ones are safe to buy used?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

June 28th, 2012, 12:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm interested in hearing this info too. My sister-in-law is giving me her Medela pump and I just need to get new tubes and bottles for it. But I haven't looked at pumps at all and don't know what to look at.

June 29th, 2012, 07:40 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The one thing that I would suggest is that if you are borrowing a pump from someone else or buying a used pump, that you only do this if the pump is less than 2 years old. Pumps that are older than that are going to be less effective (i.e.: less powerful) and therefore you are going to use it less/like it less.

Double pumps are also great because they DRAMATICALLY cut down on the time that you spend pumping. (And it's amazing the things that you learn to do with one hand holding your boobies and the other hand doing everything else.) I bought a Medela Freestyle Advance, which is a very small and highly portable yet powerful double pump. While this is one of the more expensive pumps, it was totally worth it for me, as I returned to work in 6 weeks and needed something very efficient.

Pumping is yet another full-time job for a breastfeeding mother that also works, and it's worth it to spend the money on a top of the line pump that is going to work well and save you time. I was able to work a full-time job, and breastfeed my child for 15 months, largely due in part to the fact that I had such a great pump. (And a lot of stick-to-it-iveness.) Plus, with what I saved in the cost of formula, we estimated that we "made up" for the cost of the pump in 3 months! (i.e.: top-of-the-line breastpump = about 3 months' worth of formula, pricewise.)

I know Cassie plans on being a SAHM, so it's not as imperative to have a super-efficient pump, but my point is that (in my opinion at least) it's worth the money to consider purchasing a newer model double pump.

June 29th, 2012, 11:39 AM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would also have to agree with Maggie. I have a Medela double pump... I love the thing. It would drain both breasts completely in 10-15 minutes. I do know you can get tubing for used pumps...and also rent a pump (check out Breastpumps | Medela) I personally wouldn't do that (just me, nothing wrong with it) just because I like my own stuff and knowing it was never used by someone else (again nothing wrong with that...just me...lol).
For me personally, I needed a pump as I go back to work full time after 6-9 months or so. Even if I didn't work I would use one only because I like to have a huge stockpile of milk in the freezer. I am always paranoid I am going to need to go on an antibiotic or something and need some spare milk. Some antiobiotics are compatible with breastfeeding, but when I was on one once while breastfeeding it did a number on my little ones GI tract (bright green mucousy stool).
If you have any questions about breast feeding in general feel free to PM me or post here...I have exclusively breastfed all three of my girls for a year each. Lots of experience...lol!

Our family is complete

June 30th, 2012, 05:59 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Thanks for the info Maggie & Christy!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search