Four Month Checkup [+Questions And A Mini Rant]

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
June 29th, 2012, 07:15 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So we had our four month checkup today! We have a new pediatrician because we moved and I'm not a huge fan. Rory is 12lbs 3oz and 24 1/2 inches tall. But every percentile dropped [rather drastically too] and I didn't even realize until later that she didn't ask if we were breastfeeding or formula feeding until after all this. Though she did say I would HAVE to start feeding her rice cereal with iron in it at 6 months...please.

I also got a little packet [that I vaguely glanced through] and it says at this age crying at night should be reassured, but baby should remain in the crib. I can only imagine the look of horror if she found out we bed share...let alone no way in hell am I gonna just let her cry at night instead of feeding her.

Don't think we will be keeping this pediatrician...

Now a couple questions:

Does anyone know where a WHO growth chart is online? I can't seem to find one.
and does anyone here do a delayed vaccination schedule? I'm just curious as to how long you go between shots because after her last ones I only let them do one at a time. She was screaming in pain after a nap but she did so much better this time with just one shot.

Thanks

June 29th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Who Charts, just scroll down.

My doctor asked how I was letting her sleep, and I said she's in a swing for now because of reflux. The doctor said she'd "prefer her flat, but at least the swing was much better than her tummy." In the end, it's our decision, and they know this. Sometimes she sleeps in the swing, sometimes in bed with me, sometimes in bed alone. It's never in a crib or something not soft. The doctor told me herself that they have a theory that belly sleeping in cribs causes SIDS because the plastic covered mattresses don't absorb the gasses. It just makes a cloud of CO2 around the baby's face. My first always slept in a crib, and it was mostly on her tummy. Can't stop them from rolling!

Anyway, we're sort of delaying right now just because we haven't been able to get out there. Rose cried a lot with her shots, too, but I just give her Tylenol. My first was great with shots. She has a sensory processing disorder so shots were a breeze.

James Arwen est. April 2, 2005
Alice Marie - January 9, 2008
Winter Rose - February 14, 2012
Liliana Vale - September 25, 2013

8 in Heaven Trying for #4!
June 30th, 2012, 03:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Wow...I don't blame you for not going back to that ped!! I wouldn't either! We bed share too and when she wakes up I nurse her back to sleep. It's really nbd so I don't understand why everyone else is all up in my face "Is she sleeping through the night?" "Don't nurse her during the night anymore because then she'll continue to wake up" etc. I feel like saying "You're not there at 3am so BACK OFF!" lol

We are delaying vaccines too but we won't start till she's a year old or so. I think we'll start with DTaP and once the first 3 shots in that series are done we'll move on the the next, so we're going very slowly. I have nothing against vaccines really, I just don't want to overload her all at once. DH is more against them because his cousin died after getting vacc'd. If it were up to him we wouldn't vaccinate at all.

June 30th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I got the same handout; I think it's from the American Academy of Pediatrics, and doesn't necessarily reflect your pediatrician's personal viewpoint.

Robby did terrible after his first set of shots, too; he cried all.day.long. It was awful. We did not switch to a delayed vaccination schedule (though I considered it), and he got the same three shots this time, but with no problem. I think the first ones are traumatic for them.

I'm sure Rory is doing fine; my midwife told me that I might need to continually remind my pediatrician that DH and I are both small people (he's 5'9" and I'm 5'2"), because babies who are going to grow up to be smaller usually don't stay inside the growth curve and pediatricians get upset about that easily. As long as she is actually growing, I wouldn't worry too much.

June 30th, 2012, 12:18 PM
-Bailey-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Thanks ladies!

I was just really bugged by the fact she didn't even ask about if she was breastfed or formula fed until halfway through the appointment. Apparently this is also my friends ped who, along with the L&D nurses, really destroyed her ability and confidence in breastfeeding. I already made the next appointment for six months, so I'll go to that and see how it is on the second go. There are definitely plenty of peds around!

And that makes sense on the handout, but my last ped didn't give me anything like that so why give it out if you disagree with it?

July 2nd, 2012, 09:14 PM
RandE's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the ped doesn't necessarily have a judgement either way regarding that packet. It's just there to help a new parent learn. Some parents might find it beneficial so they give it to everyone.

Rhydian was very good for his first shots. Cried a lot right before bed and was sore for the next two days or so. About a week later he cried non-stop for 6 days. It was awful. This time he was again, inconsolable at bed time and fussy for a day or two after but did not have his week long hysterics- thank goodness!

I would change peds to just based on the fact that she says you HAVE to do something. My ped lets us know what's recommended but allows us to make our own decisions. When we disagree with something she formulates a plan with us to make our decision work safely. I love our ped! lol

July 3rd, 2012, 10:03 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My pediatrician, I love her, but she has me a bit freaked out right now. Aubree didn't gain any weight between a sick visit and her well baby visit which were two weeks apart. But she did gain a whole inch. And so now she has me obsessing about her weight gain. She also said she'd like me to start her on rice cereal because of the iron in it. I'm fine with it as long as it helps her gain the weight she needs to gain.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search