Breastfeeding supply question!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By Spyctre
  • 1 Post By Blue-Jay
  • 1 Post By *krista*

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 7th, 2012, 07:01 PM
armymama's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Help, please! Alex is EBF. He's only had bottles of pumped milk twice= one small bottle to see if he would even take bottles, and another small one when DH was home to watch the boys so I could go to the gym. For some reason my supply seems to be decreasing! He usually nurses from one side each feeding, but lately I've had to keep switching him because he's just not getting enough so that's not helping any. It's even worse on my right side because for whatever reason that side has always just produced less. What can I do to increase my supply?? I really don't want to have to switch to formula. I drink water all day, eat oatmeal almost every morning for breakfast, increased my calorie intake, started taking fenugreek... seriously everything I can think of, but today my supply seems to be even lower. It's frustrating to say the least lol. Between Alex and DS1 I don't have time to pump during the day after feedings. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!
July 7th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
I would first cut out pumping and only nurse. When I pump, my supply goes way down. Winter only feeds from each side for a couple minutes now, but if I wanted my supply to increase, I would try for 10 minutes each side every two hours. That is all I know to really do.

Does your baby act really hungry after feedings?

Some women do dry up for seemingly no reason sometimes. Might be going great then nothing. I hope that isn't your case. HTH!
July 7th, 2012, 11:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spyctre View Post
I would first cut out pumping and only nurse. When I pump, my supply goes way down. Winter only feeds from each side for a couple minutes now, but if I wanted my supply to increase, I would try for 10 minutes each side every two hours. That is all I know to really do.
I don't ever pump. :/ I've only done it twice for the 2 times we offered him a bottle. I'm hoping that maybe he's just going through a growth spurt so it just *seems* like my supply is decreasing right now. He does get full, it's just taking him longer than usual.
July 8th, 2012, 02:31 AM
Spyctre's Avatar Arwen
Growth spurt could explain it. Winter was eating a lot last week, seems like feeding her was taking foreve.
armymama likes this.
July 8th, 2012, 09:05 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I'm having the same problem right now; seems like my supply is reduced. I feel weird, so I'm hoping it's not because I'm pregnant again.

There is also a mother's milk tea that you can drink to help boost your supply. I understand not having time to pump between feedings; it's hard! I would cross-post this on the Breastfeeding forum; they're super helpful! Keep us posted about how it's going, and don't give up hope! Just keep feeding your little guy when he's hungry and hopefully your body will keep up with him.
(Double-check on kellymom.com or with a doctor before you add any supplements including fenugreek if there's a chance you might be pregnant!)
armymama likes this.

Last edited by Blue-Jay; July 8th, 2012 at 11:11 AM.
July 9th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Chances are it is a growth spurt. I would just continue nursing on demand so your supply will increase. Don't wait for him to cry to tell you he is hungry, they are ready to eat before they get hungry enough to cry. If you are concerned, either call in a lactation consultant or schedule a doc appointment. They can weigh him before and after nursing to see how much he takes in. And the doc can monitor his weight gain. Monitor his wet diapers to make sure he is getting enough.
armymama likes this.

Thank you GraysMama for my beautiful siggy!
July 11th, 2012, 05:21 AM
Thanks for the replies. It definitely ended up being a growth spurt so I am glad I stuck it out! He's back to his normal nursing habits again so I am a happy momma.
July 11th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I'm glad!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search