Mary's search for a baby name

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By Punky.Brew

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 13th, 2012, 11:13 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I didn't know if I should put this in here, but I need to start figuring out a name for this little one. I figured I would journal about it and add to this thread as I found names and inspirations. It will probably take me a few months to get my name list together (I like to find a few names so that I can pick the right one once I see the baby for the first time). This time since we are team green, I have to do it for both genders - lots of work ahead of me!
I have a very traditional and long English last name, so I need something that will go with it, but I am trying to find a laid back name this time since this is #3. Also, we live in a beach area where surfing is big, so chances are, this kid is going to be a little beach rat. My other children's names are John Keith III "Jack" and Penelope Katrin "Penny."
I haven't gone through all the family trees I created for name ideas yet and I know I found some really good ones last month.
Here are some names I have been thinking about so far:

BOY
Harvey
Tucker
Dean
Everett
Kane
James (Jamie)
Russell
Ryder
Breaker
Miles
River
Boyd (family name dating into the 12th century)

Middle names
Buchanan (a family name)
Laird (my father's name)
Craig (another family name)
Cru (made this one up - the wine term)
Eric (my favorite uncle)

Blair (after an ancestor who fought in the revolutionary war)
Cook (family name)
Cushman (another ancestor who was a leading Pilgrim separatist.
Crokker (an ancestor who was a knight under King Edward IV)
Ford (family name)
Warren (grandfather's middle name)

GIRL
Scarlett (nicknamed "Scout". I've never seen this nickname used with this name, so I thought it might make it more unique considering the name is climbing the charts). This was almost Penny's name but she really seemed like a Penelope instead.
Louisa (pronounced Loo-eee-suh)
Leah - I love the way this one sounds with my name, but again, it's getting so popular
Poppy
Leila / Leela
Lena (named after a strong matriarch in the family)
Briar
Ivy
Lienna
Leone
Willow
Samantha
Mae for a first name
Nannette
Annette
Olive (nn Liv) This was one I wanted for Penny, but it was quickly nixed by John the last time, but might as well try again.
Adelaide
Marielle
Liesl
Leonie
Hazel

Middle names
May / Mae (family name)
Hope (family name)

LOL, just like every pregnancy in the past, my boys list is a ton longer than my girls list! I don't know why, but I find boys names so much easier to find than the perfect girl's names!

OK, so I'm adding a few to the list:

BOYS
Middle names:
Cook (family name)
First or middle name:

I'm going to try to think of as many names to run by John and out of those, we'll whittle the list down to about 3-5 for each sex.

Alright, here are the final names to take to the hospital:

IF IT'S A BOY
Oliver Warren
Collin Ford
Andrew Warren (or Laird for the middle name)
James Warren

IF IT'S A GIRL
Hazel Hope
Leonie Mae (or Lienna for the first)
Annie Mae (or Annabelle as the first w/ NN Annie)
Willow Robbins
Samantha Mae

Last edited by gardenbelle; August 30th, 2012 at 10:19 PM.
July 13th, 2012, 12:35 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't you love it when people share ideas with you that you don't really want?
Anywhoo, here's mine:

Milo. Love this name. Can't use it. (Too close to DD's name.) Was going to be Marlowe's name if she was a boy child. The main character from The Phantom Tollbooth, which is one of my favorite books of all time.

Sorry, just thought it fit your theme. I do like all of the rest too!
July 14th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Milo is such a cute name, but it's been ruined for me as someone I know named their cat Milo. Don't you hate that? Very cute name though, do you think you will use it if you have a boy this round? When are you finding out what you are having, btw??
July 16th, 2012, 09:42 AM
OH!!! I hate that. I had this problem with the name we had picked out eons ago for a boy child: Maxwell. No sooner did I tell someone then they named their german shepherd Max. Seriously? It's not even good enough for you to steal for a kid? You've got to use it on your dog? This is an issue close to my heart as Maggie is a particularly common pet name.

Oh well, perhaps someone else on here can find a use for it. I love it, but unfortunately, it would just be too much of an inner household tongue twister to have a Milo and a Marlowe. You've got some good ones on the list already, so I'm sure you'll find the perfect fit for your little RuPaul.

We find out on the 27th of the month. I think I'm more excited this time around then I was with Marlowe! (We had been told she was a boy at 10 weeks, so I just kind of assumed.)
July 18th, 2012, 09:55 AM
Terrible! So wrong they used it on their dog. For what it's worth - Max was one of our top names for my son and a few months before he was born, Jennifer Lopez named her twins Max and Emme. I just couldn't look at it in my hospital list after that, boo.
I can see the Milo / Marlow tongue twister, that is a little obnoxious. Can't wait to hear what you come up with for your little one - the 27th is almost a week away!

OK, so I'm adding a few to the list:

BOYS
Middle names:
Cook (family name)
First or middle name:

GIRLS
Mae for a first name
Nannette
Annette
Olive (nn Liv) This was one I wanted for Penny, but it was quickly nixed by John the last time, but might as well try again.

I'm going to try to think of as many names to run by John and out of those, we'll whittle the list down to about 3-5 for each sex.
July 21st, 2012, 10:40 PM
I have some more girl names to add:
Adelaide
Marielle
Liesl
Leonie
Hazel
July 27th, 2012, 10:53 PM
Alright, I presented the list to hubby tonight and we went over the names. Here is our lists of names we'll bring to the hospital (and we'll probably add/remove a few as the due date approaches:

GIRLS
Leone Mae
Annette (or Annie or Annabelle) Mae but with a nickname of Annie for sure
Hazel Hope
Samantha Mae (nn Sammie)
Mae as a first name, but haven't figured out a middle name

(May was my grandmother's middle name but I like the spelling Mae best. Hope is my other grandmother's middle name)

BOYS
Russel Buchanan (or Russel Laird)
James Laird
Dean Buchanan
Stone Buchanan

(Buchanan is a family name on my father's side and Laird is my father's name)

I'm not totally loving the boys names like I thought I would, so I think I need to find some more to toss around. Some of my favorites were not so loved by John so they were tossed out. I didn't think I would fall in love so much with the girls names, but I have. This is the first time in the pregnancy that I really wish I knew what the gender was!
August 5th, 2012, 04:35 PM
I've collected some more boy names since my husband and I aren't crazy about any of the top contenders.
Brenner
Dane
Landon
Pierce
Warren
Lane
Wesley
Collin
Owen
Oliver
Andrew
Otoo
Stewart
Cameron
Kline

After running these names by my husband this weekend, Oliver really stood out and after saying it a few times, we both love it. We finally have one good solid name choice for a boy! Now to find one or two more in case we meet the baby and it's a boy who doesn't look like an Oliver. I'm thinking Oliver Warren (Warren is my grandfather's middle name) or Oliver Cushman or Oliver Eric. I also love the name Owen, but DH says that it reminds him too much of the movie Throw Mamma From the Train and proceeded to do a rendition of the character "Mamma."
August 6th, 2012, 11:13 AM
LOVe Oliver. Think it's just an adorable name.
I think there's also a nice ring to the name "Wesley Owen"...

But with a Jack, and a Penny, I think Oliver fits right in.
gardenbelle likes this.
September 16th, 2012, 06:53 PM
We are mulling over adding Truman and Brandt to the boy's list. Hmmm...

Or Tate or Flynn?
September 16th, 2012, 09:17 PM
Everett, Floyd, Wesley, Forrest...

Girls names to add: Pauline (NN Polly) and Mae as a first name instead of middle
September 18th, 2012, 05:53 PM
Super Mommy
I think you have some awesome choices!
gardenbelle likes this.
October 1st, 2012, 01:29 PM
Geez...Mary - what's the list up to these days - 32? You guys are like the Baskin Robbins of names. Don't get me wrong..they're all good - but are any jumping out at you these days?
October 4th, 2012, 07:25 AM
LOL Just saw this. I know there are a lot, I've been using this thread as my virtual scratch pad to mull names over. It makes it easy because I can add names from my phone when I'm out and about.
I think the short list is still Oliver, Warren, James and Andrew right now (we threw out Collin). Oliver is still a top contender, but James is looking really great now that I'm over the fact that his (if he is a he) nickname cannot be Jamie. I'm still slipping Tucker into conversations though as that is my absolute favorite.
As for girls, we are still really happy with our choices, but I've started to shop around for a long name that has anna as a part of it so that we can use Annie as a nickname instead of the formal name.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search