Clothing Sizes

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By MarlowesMum
  • 1 Post By KelseyN
  • 1 Post By LindseyF

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 15th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran
Now that we know gender, I've been doing quite a bit more clothes looking/shopping!

Question for all of you, especially those BTDT moms - what size is best? I've picked up quite a few 0-3 month items so far. How long, if at all, were your little ones in a newborn size?

I know it will be easier to predict birth size in a few months, but I'm not expecting that I'll have a terribly small baby - I was 8.5 lbs and DH was over 10 at birth, if that's any indication.

I certainly don't want to have nothing on hand that will fit when our little one arrives, but I don't want to buy a ton of something we will never use either!

Any suggestions/recommendations?

July 15th, 2012, 09:20 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first born, he was almost 9 pounds at birth and he never fit into any of the newborn outfits I got him. He went straight into 0-3 month clothes and was in the 3-6 month clothes by like 6 weeks I want to say? I had wished I bought more in the bigger sizes!
With baby #2, I had quite a bit of hand me downs from friends and had a ton of clothes in both the NB and the 0-3 month sizes. I was thankful because she was only 7 1/2 pounds and the 0-3 month sizes were pretty loose at first so she wore NB for the first couple of weeks.
I say, if you think you are going to have a big baby, just skip the NB sizes all together and get the bulk of the outfits in 0-3 and 3-6 month size for the newborn period.
Here is one piece of advice for all the FTMs - the Gerber onesies run so small! The newborn size fits like a premie size, it's way too small. If you buy Gerber, just buy a size (or two) above what you would normally buy. Up until my daughter potty trained a few months ago, she would sometimes wear Gerber onesie tops to bed with her PJs. When she was in size 12-18 months, she was wearing a 3T in the gerber onesies and they fit her! Just a warning, but big when buying Gerber.

July 16th, 2012, 01:38 AM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Never in newborn, wore 0-3mos for so little time that baby wore outfits only 2 times, if lucky. 3-6 and 6-9 VERY short...honestly, I'd get no more than 10 of each and that's alot. Get clothes over 9mos...they will be in them longer. If you get any gifts, they will likely be newborn and 0-6 mos.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

July 16th, 2012, 04:57 AM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
I wouldn't waste your money on newborn clothes. My three children never fit in them and they were 7 pds 13oz, 7 pds 14 oz and 8 pounds even. I suggest buying some 0-3 months (but dont go over board because they grow quickly out of them) and then 3-6 month etc.
July 16th, 2012, 05:30 AM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, to play devil's advocate here, my DD was 7lbs12oz at birth, and we used newborn clothes for about a month without issue. In all honesty, we rarely used the cutesy-wootsy outfits that she had. That kid lived in onesies for her first month (which was fine because I rarely left the house) - particularly the kind with the mitts over the hands. The cute outfits came out for visitors, but other than that, I was more than happy to keep her in whatever easy thing I had at hand.
Blue_fire likes this.
July 16th, 2012, 05:57 AM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm with Maggie here. I had a teenie tiny. She was only 7 lbs 3.5 oz at birth so we were in newborn clothes for a month or more. HOWEVER, she really only wore the onsies and comfy pants. Never any "cutsies" outfits (aside from on Easter, she's an April baby and was 3 weeks old on Easter her first year). The onsies are fairly cheap. It's really hard to predict how big your baby is going to be even with those ultrasounds. Perhaps get a few packs of newborn, but don't go crazy. DD grew slowly and she's still in 12 month pants (and could get away with some 6-9 month until about 2 months ago). She's 15 months old. All of her clothes stayed consistent with what age they said they'd fit at. Except things that were cheaper from like Walmart. Her coming home outfit was 0-3 months and she DROWNED in it.

Ignore the crappy picture (she looks like a leprechaun, I know.) I took it from my iPod because I couldn't find the camera.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
July 16th, 2012, 06:59 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My dd was only 5lbs 3oz so she was in premie for the first month and even some into the second month. She spent most of her life in 3-6 months. My advice would be to buy bigger when you just feel that mommy need to shop like we all do and just buy a small amount of newborn and 0/3 months until you have your bundle home and know for sure. And my daughter also didn't wear much more then sleepers or onesies for the first 4 months

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

July 16th, 2012, 07:02 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
My dd was seven pounds even and wore newborn clothes for MONTHS.

I don't think you can guess these things. Bring a few sleepers nb and a few 0-3 with you to the hospital and then buy what you need afterwards! :-)
July 16th, 2012, 07:04 AM
Megan30's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My boys were in newborn clothing for about a week. 0-3 months we were in for a longer and 3-6 months even longer. Don't go crazy on newborn even though they are so darn cute!!!
July 16th, 2012, 08:13 AM
Super Mommy
I think it will also depend on how long your baby is, not just the weight. My son was early and 5lb 2oz so it took him a few weeks just to get into NB. He caught up to size fairly quickly, but he's not very long, so he's always been able to wear the clothes made for his age range.
~Landon's Mommy~ likes this.
July 16th, 2012, 09:03 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
DD never wore NB outfits.. She was 9lbs 10 oz when she was born.... I would buy a couple of 0-3 months, and then buy more 3-5 and 6-9 months.... you'll end up kicking yourself in the behind if you over buy in 0-3 and baby doesnt get to wear what you bought...

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 16th, 2012, 09:05 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Landon was born at 7 lb 1.8 oz and was about 19 in long. He was in newborn for about a week and a half. I would buy a very limited amont of newborn stuff and concentrate on 0-3.

Little brother!
July 16th, 2012, 02:42 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I must have strange kids then. All 3 of mine actually wore Premie for the first month. They were 7lbs 12.4oz 24", 7lbs 5oz 22in and 5lbs 3oz and 21in. Maybe it had something to do with how long they were.

July 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM
Veteran
Thanks for the tips, everyone!

July 16th, 2012, 06:30 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Even though I'm FTM. I'm skipping NB and getting 0-3 mos because no baby in our family fit in NB or if they would have it was for a week or two.

Figure even if its a little big on her to start with, she'll grow fast enough into 0-3 mos clothes.

Thank you for the amazing siggy *Kiliki*

July 16th, 2012, 06:45 PM
LindseyF's Avatar Expecting 2nd Dec Baby!
You definitely can't predict birth size. Even at my 41 week checkup, the ultrasound tech said he looked about 8 lbs & the next day he was born, weighing just shy of 10 lbs. Then there's all of my friends who were nearly scared into c-sections 'cuz their babies were gonna be so big' only to birth 7 lb'ers.

With that said, my lil guy was a very tall baby (22.5" -- average is 20") but still wore newborn for at least a month, some of them 3 months. So get a few of your cutest choices in newborn, then go up from there!
Gripstress likes this.
July 18th, 2012, 07:21 PM
rucca1002's Avatar Veteran
Neither of my boys fit in newborn clothes (they were 9 lbs 13 oz and 9 lbs 2 oz). We went right into the 0-3 months and they are still big boys -- my soon to be 4 year old wear 5T and my 20 month old has been in 2T for a few months. So, if you think you are going to have a larger baby, I would skip newborn all together and make sure you have 0-3, 3-6 and 6-9 on hand in case baby grows quick!
July 18th, 2012, 07:36 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Agreed with all above but wanted to add that the only thing I'd buy newborn size is the taking home/pictures outfit. If the rest is 0-3mos and a little big for a week or two, no big deal.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

July 18th, 2012, 08:32 PM
Veteran
My DD was 6lbs 14oz at birth...she wore Newborn for at least a month I want to say. Then 0-3 after that for a while. Hope that helps. I would definitely have a few of each so you have something to start. But keep in mind if you have a baby shower you will get TONS more stuff!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search