Christmas/Holidays?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By daffneyc

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2012, 04:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
So we've telling both our families that we don't intend to do any traveling over the holidays. For thanksgiving I'll be nine monthes pregnant and at Christmas I will be 100 monthes pregnant, or have a newborn. I've talked to DH and we agree it's just not a year for traveling. My family is OK with it, his however is making a stink about it. It doesn't matter how many times I say we won't be traveling, they keep talking about us "changing our minds". It wouldn't bother me so much, but I know when the holiday is actually here and we don't go (like we've been saying we won't do since April) they are going to have a fit. *sigh*...I really need a much less dramatic family. LOL.

What are you going to do for the holidays? Is your family upset? My other issue is I usually keep my babies to myself the first couple weeks. Church and all that will be out with a newborn too.
Twist likes this.

Daffney

July 16th, 2012, 04:41 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Family will be coming to us! I also have no intention on driving around the world, bonding and healing time is necessary. My mom always says holidays can be celebrated whenever, Christmas in July would be fine with her!

July 16th, 2012, 04:50 PM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
My mom is wanting me to drive to her house for thanksgiving dinner and Christmas. She lives an hour away. Plus what if I go into labor early, and need to have an emergency c section instead of a scheduled one. And Christmas I feel I should be at home healing. But that just upset her. What to do, what to do?!?!

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

July 16th, 2012, 05:03 PM
The Truth is out There
We're not going anywhere for Christmas, and probably not for Thanksgiving either. DH's family lives near us, so that's not an issue. The bigger issue is telling DH's sister that Christmas is not going to be a good time for her and her family to visit.
Since we live with DH's parents, we'd have no choice but to deal with them, and I'm due right around Christmas day. I don't want to have to deal with this particular SIL at that time.
I'm going to talk to MIL when it gets closer and explain my reasoning and I'm sure she let SIL know that she should pick another time to come.

My mother just started a job, and isn't going to be able to travel anywhere, and I'm quite she won't expect us to come out there. If she does- too bad.

July 16th, 2012, 05:33 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've already flat out said that we're not going anywhere for Thanksgiving or Christmas. DH is totally on board with that. At our midwife's suggestion we're going to take lots of time for ourselves. We'll have set "visiting hours" for folks in town and we won't have any overnight guests until we're ready. I'm going to treat those first couple of weeks as sacred for us for healing and bonding and getting a handle on breastfeeding and just being a suddenly bigger family.

July 16th, 2012, 05:44 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have a problem with driving the 6 hour trip for Thanksgiving especially since this is my first holiday season away from my family EVER! My family always does Christmas Eve together but it will be hard since this will be our first Christmas in our new house and if we drive down there the kids wont be able to wake up Christmas morning and open "santa" gifts.

July 16th, 2012, 06:04 PM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have already told everyone that Christmas is going to be limited this year! I live next door to my grandparents and parents who will be coming over Christmas morning for presents and hopefully making me breakfast!! I dunno how thanksgiving is going to go over this year buit all of our family is in town so we can arrive eat and leave

July 16th, 2012, 06:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
If our family was local it would be different I think. But my sister/brother are in Houston ( a 4.5 hour drive), my grandparents are a 6 hour drive and Franks family is all in Colorado (14 hour drive). I just don't see us (and by us, I mean me) sitting in a car for that long with a newborn. I feel like I'm going to be overwhelemed as it is having 3 kids.

Daffney

July 16th, 2012, 06:47 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
We are lucky both my family and DH's lives in town with us. So our plans wont be changing much. We will still go to DH mom's Christmas Eve, with new baby I'll be on killing spree if I'm still pregnant at Christmas. Then for Christmas day we will go to my parents house in the afternoon.
At the point of Thanksgiving I wont be allowed out of our town. Any decent size town is either 100 miles North or South of us and due to altitude changes of 3,000 feet and more makes it I'm not allowed to leave for the risk of jump starting labor as altitude changes can do.
So for my extended family Christmas with aunts, uncles, cousins, grandpa, etc... I wont be going to because it will be days before my due date and 100 South of us. But that I'm not bummed over, dont really like going anyways.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
July 16th, 2012, 07:35 PM
burnbot's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't plan to travel for Christmas or Thanksgiving. This will be a really exciting year for us because I lost my mom around the holidays last year and this year we will have Zoey. Last year's holiday season was so miserable and depressing. We didn't even decorat
e and I usually go crazy with ALL the holidays. I was so upset that DH set up a tree in the middle of the night and decorated it and put lights on it. I was pretty happy when I saw it. Oh the things he will do to make me happy.
This year I plan to decorate and have a close Christmas with DH, his family, my brother and my grandma. I hope it is everything I want it to be.

Daffney: Sorry you are dealing with so much in-law drama. It seems crazy to me that they want you to travel with a newborn or at 9+ months pregnant. It sucks that they are upset but you know you are doing the best thing for you, your baby, and your family. Good luck with it all.

July 16th, 2012, 07:49 PM
Tammyms's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I told my family the same thing! I refuse to travel with 2 newborns so if my mom doesn't have Christmas at her house then I won't be there. So far everyone is understanding and mom is planning Christmas

Sorry your family is making a big deal out of it

Make a pregnancy ticker
July 16th, 2012, 07:53 PM
Veteran
We never travel for christmas. We want our kids to wake up in their own beds. Thanksgiving is a little trickier. I usually go early and Im due 12/1 so I will be lucky to not be in the hospital. I dont really want to take a newborn to someones house for the day and yet I dont know that I'll be up for cooking a big meal at that point.
July 16th, 2012, 08:10 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
With Thanksgiving, it will no doubt be the usual small dinner at my moms. We don't tend to do anything besides my mom, step dad, his mom and my bro for Thanksgiving.

As for Christmas, I have no idea how that's gonna work. If I go on my due date, I'll have a 4 day old newbie and I have no idea what I'll be feeling like. If I go late but before Christmas, then I'll probably just bypass Christmas this year. If I haven't gone by Christmas, I'll probably attend the Xmas eve dinner with my dad and Xmas day din with my mom.

Unfortunately Steve's family lives 14 hours away. And it's pricey to fly and too icy to drive over Xmas. His mom and Gma might be coming out in the next couple months, so I might plan a turkey dinner/early holiday while they are here.

July 16th, 2012, 08:54 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm in the same boat as you, my family and most of DH's family live out of town. Since I'll be full term at Thanksgiving, traveling is out then and the baby will be only a few weeks old around Christmas, so most likely traveling is out then as well. It stinks because last year, my family came down for Thanksgiving and then Christmas, we decided to spend the money on Costa Rica instead of traveling up, so it will be two years straight of not visiting my family. I'm sure they'll understand, but I'm still bummed.

July 17th, 2012, 06:14 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are lucky in this regard. Nates family and my family are mostly local so
the holidays should work just fine. Our Christmas may be scaled back depending on how I am feeling as well as how baby and Landon are doing.

Little brother!
July 17th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
We'll definitely be staying home for Christmas and family will have to come visit us. I'm not decided on Thanksgiving yet. It will really depend on how I'm feeling when we get to that point. I'm hoping I'll be up for traveling since it's the only time of the year we get to see everyone, but I don't want to risk it. So, we'll see.

Your family should really be understanding, though. And if not, oh well, it's not their decision!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting a baby boy in February!

{Our family blog}

July 17th, 2012, 07:22 AM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Hmmmm jeez...haven't even thought of this yet...lol! Thanksgiving will probably be at my house this year. (My mother in law and I switch every year and I think it is my turn) I will only be 36 weeks or so and I like having Thanksgiving at my house. I will have lots of help; honestly I will probably end up only cooking the turkey and everything else will be brought by my mom, aunt and mil..hehe!
Christmas eve will be at my mother in laws and Christmas day will be at our house like always. Depending on when I deliver that could all change though as I am due 12/27!!!
I am a bit of a germ phobe, so I am going to have to get over that...lol. But I suppose with two kids already in school, germs are a fact of life for me. I usually carry hand sanitizer around with me or ask people to wash their hands before holding my babies anyway (most are really undestanding, some people probably think I'm crazy but oh well)
I breast feed, so it is very easy for me to go off and hide in a room when people get too overwhelming! My family is really great though (on both sides) and we are all local so I don't really expect a problem!
For those girls having family issues...stick to your guns! Your baby, your rules! They may not like it, but in the long run there is not much they can do about it! And you can always blame hormones after the holidays are over!

Our family is complete

July 17th, 2012, 07:22 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
We live in Alabama, and my family lives in NY and his in Virginia, so everyone knows that we won't be visiting when I'm 9 months pregnant or with a newborn in tow. Right now we're trying to coordinate Christmas with both families so we're not bombarded and then have nobody around.

I'm sorry your family is being difficult. Do people really think it's that easy to travel with a newborn or think it's wise when you could go into labor at any minute?
July 17th, 2012, 07:29 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Yeah, his family is very demanding. In part, they are a huge reason we moved to Dallas from Fort Collins. They are way to much. I'll stick to my guns, and hubby is backing me up. It just sucks that they are so difficult about it.

Daffney

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search