Court Summons!! Give me a break.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By crystalcherry
  • 1 Post By Crystallee

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 16th, 2012, 04:36 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We moved out of a fantastic rental in April. The leasers were so kind as to never repair things when we would call and the place was old! It was so amazing that our front door would not close, our water in the sinks would not turn off, you could feel a draft by every door and window, the wood from the outside of the house was rotting off.

So we bought a home and moved the heck out!

Now they are saying we owe them almost 3000 dollars. 1000 for repainting the two bedroom apt that was ity, it took fourty five hours they say (the house had no insulation! When it was cold, all the dust settled where the posts in the walls were and would not come off with any amount of cleaning or scrubbing). So I have to pay because there is no insulation? I believe that was paid through our three hundred dollar electric bills each month!

I have agreed to pay for carpet replacement in the living room, it needed to be done! But now they are saying we have to pay for replacement throughout the whole property!

I'm so frustrated I could just cry. I'm being taken advantage of and all I can think is where are the good people in this world? I'd just love to go to court.

July 16th, 2012, 04:51 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We had to deal with the same type of situation when me moved out of the place we were renting a few months ago. Our water bill was over $300 every month because the toliets were messed up, our dishwasher stopped working because of the hack plumbing job the guy did, our trash compactor caught on fire and he told me to douse it with water and just leave it in the kitchen till he could get to it (2 months later)....the list goes on and on. When we moved out his stepdaughter went on FB talking all kinds of mess about us and texted me at all hours with nonsense. We were on a month to month rental and they wanted to throw a fit because we didnt give enough of a notice. I hope it all works out in court. I know how stressful it is but just go and be honest and it should be okay. Most Judges know how sorry landlords can be and they also know the laws that the landlord must follow to even be allowed to rent a property (upkeep and stuff like that).
Gripstress likes this.

July 16th, 2012, 05:23 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Do you have a log or anything showing you called while you were there to take with you? Also, I know here in MA/CT you have to get a sign off when you leave a lease. Anything not documented during this checkout, you are not required to fix/pay. If you fail anything, they are required to allow you to fix it if you can. If the landlord can't be there for final check out, they are required to notify you immediately (within 5 business days) and they must have a 3rd party to confirm the damage. I'd check to see if the laws are similar.

I'd call your local "free" advise and see what your rights were. Pretty cool that your state has one. I know Mass does also.

July 16th, 2012, 05:31 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'll look into that! That's another frustrating thing! We moved out in April! It's almost August! And we find out now, what a joke.

July 16th, 2012, 05:55 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I would also check and see as around here, the person renting it out is required to pay for paint and carpeting every so many years, regardless of who lives there or when they left or whatever.
Gripstress likes this.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
July 17th, 2012, 06:36 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Wow, that's ridiculous... Sorry you're having to deal with that right now.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

July 17th, 2012, 12:06 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Slumlords. How I loath thee. They are clearly strongarming you here, Kelly, so it may be worth your (monetary) while to spend an hour with an attorney that deals with leases just to know what the appropriate reaction is. A countersuit demanding repayment for the exorbitant heating bills (due to lack of insulation) might be just the thing to get them off of their high horses.

July 17th, 2012, 01:01 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
That's such crap. You are not required to pay for painting, landlord is. Normal wear & tear on carpeting is allowed, anything worse is on you. The only thing you would be responsible for is actual damage. Bring a list and any other evidence to court so you don't forget anything. If the judge thinks the landlord is trying to bleed you at all, the judge will likely dismiss the whole thing. Ugh!
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

July 17th, 2012, 03:25 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I would also check statue of limitations or whatever it's called in your state. They didn't say anything until 3 months later??? There is something fishy about that. Hope you get this all worked out without having to give them 3000 they dont deserve...

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search