When to start baby food!?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By melkissa2004
  • 1 Post By TnPhotoMama81

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 17th, 2012, 06:19 AM
Veteran
So my little one will be 4 months on Aug 2. For the longest time he was only waking up 1-2x a night to eat (I am nursing) but now he is up every 1-2 hours. I am thinkIng maybe he isn't getting full enough. When is a good time tO start cereal or baby food. Many ppl have told me 4 months & that I could probably start now but I have also heard that a new recommendation is not to start any solids until 6 months!? What are you doing? Any feedback would be great! Thanks!
July 17th, 2012, 06:30 AM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Sounds like a growth spurt. It should pass soon Grant nursed often last night too We are starting at 6 months and also nursing, though we're skipping cereal because I've read it's just empty calories. Much of the research surrounding solids says 4 months is too early for their little bodies and digestive systems. Not to say we wouldn't start at 5.5 months if I thought my little one was ready... But I wouldn't do 4 months for sure. A few mom friends have told me or didn't help their little ones sleeping either. Right now and until 1 year their primary food source should be breast milk or formula and food is just for fun so if he's not getting enough, I'd work on that first.

Ugh I wasn't done! Dumb phone. Kellymom has great resources on boosting milk supply if you think it's not a growth spurt. Hope he gets back to sleeping good for you again!!
Shadeauxe and allicyn like this.

July 17th, 2012, 06:33 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
we're waiting until 6 months to start food. I've heard of something called 4 month sleep regression....it could also be a growth spurt like Melissa pointed out.

=May '05 and '11

July 17th, 2012, 10:08 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
6 months here. Solids never did help mine sleep better. Will not be doing cereal either as it did nothing but constipate my 1st.

July 18th, 2012, 02:30 AM
TnPhotoMama81's Avatar Wife/Mommy/Photographer
Send a message via AIM to TnPhotoMama81 Send a message via Yahoo to TnPhotoMama81
5-6 months actually I might wait til six months and let my husband be the first one to feed her since he is gone until then. I know he would enjoy that.
Shadeauxe likes this.

My Photography Website Pinterest My Etsy Shop
July 18th, 2012, 04:09 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
Closer to six months for us also. I don't know anything about sereal being good/bad, so I'll have to research that.
July 18th, 2012, 05:24 AM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
6 months for us also

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

July 18th, 2012, 05:33 AM
luvmykids623's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Our pedi gave us the green light to start cereal at their 4 month appt, because they're taking in so much formula. They're 5 months old now, and we still haven't started. We'll probably wait for 6 months or so.

Thank you Jaidynsmum for my beautiful siggy!

July 18th, 2012, 10:03 AM
zaynsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
We won't start til 6 months. We tried at 4 months with my son but he wasn't ready. Kaylin looks at our food like she would totally jump us and steal it but she's still got the tongue reflex really bad so i don't feel like she's ready or will be ready anytime soon.

July 18th, 2012, 11:48 AM
Veteran
Thanks! After your feedback & more research we will also be waiting until 6 months!
July 18th, 2012, 03:03 PM
melkissa2004's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shadeauxe
Closer to six months for us also. I don't know anything about sereal being good/bad, so I'll have to research that.
It's not necessarily bad, just doesn't serve much of a nutritive purpose since it doesn't really have any nutrients in it. Just iron. It's usually recommended as a first food if allergies are a concern I think.

Wanted to add a link.
http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti...s/first-foods/

Oh and for original poster, I just came across this. http://kellymom.com/nutrition/starti.../solids-sleep/

July 20th, 2012, 10:30 AM
STL_Beth's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We will be waiting until 6 months, at least. But honestly I'm waiting to see when her tongue reflex goes away, when she can sit up well, and looks ready vs a specific date. We also won't do cereal. We never did with my son, except to thicken some foods.

I think some people get caught up in the idea that you have to give them food, but really it's just there to help them learn how to eat for when they do eventually wean. Granted, I did use it as a supplement when my milk supply had gone down by 11 months or so.

My Blog
July 20th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Super Mommy
my dr gave us the ok to try at 4 months but idk if we will. basically with DS we tried at like 4.5 months and he just spit everything out, so we tried again at 6 months. we also mixed cereal with pumped BM. that way it has the same basic taste as BM but different texture to get him used to the act of eating. unless the girls are better eaters then DS was, starting him on anything that tasted too strong resulted in it just getting spit out.
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search