Leaning toward a 2nd C instead of VBAC, any advice?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By white.house
  • 1 Post By Mommyx12

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 18th, 2012, 06:35 AM
rhettsmum's Avatar Member
Ok, so my big plan was to do the VBAC with this 2nd child. It'll be about 6 1/2 years since my son was born when DD will arrive. I'm seeing a different doctor this time and she talked to me last month about the VBAC. Several things that she told me made me rethink my decision. Apparently when I had my first, they did a single-layer suture and she would prefer a double. Also when they were taking my son out, the incision ripped further, which is something I didn't know before. And because of my weight and all this put together she said I would have about a 13% chance of success. She ALSO said it's totally up to me and if I want to try the VBAC she'll do everything she can to support me. So, yay for Dr. Laing! haha

But considering all that, I'd just prefer to go for the C. For any of you that have had 2 or more, is there any advice about what to expect, are there things I can do before hand to help healing, any particular item I should pack for the hospital, etc?

Thanks!
July 18th, 2012, 06:43 AM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
I don't have any advice since I've only had one c-section. I'm having a repeat in November. If I had a VBAC, my doctor would have to induce me because of a) it's convenient for him and b) I have a narrow pelvis and was told I couldn't push out bigger than a 7 pounder. Induction decreases the chances of a successful VBAC.

At 13%, I'd say it's not worth the effort. Just do the repeat c-section and be done with it. Maybe I'm unique, but I healed from my c-section almost immediately. It's the easiest recovery I've ever had out of my total of 6 surgeries.

July 18th, 2012, 08:46 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I don't know how they come up with that percentage....?

I had a successful induced VBAC just 11 months after my sons c-section. I wonder what my percentage would have been?
*Izzy's*Mommy* likes this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 18th, 2012, 09:27 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never had a c-section, so maybe my advice is pointless...but wouldn't it be worth it to try the VBAC if there's a chance that it could work?

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiamsMother View Post
I don't have any advice since I've only had one c-section. I'm having a repeat in November. If I had a VBAC, my doctor would have to induce me because of a) it's convenient for him and b) I have a narrow pelvis and was told I couldn't push out bigger than a 7 pounder. Induction decreases the chances of a successful VBAC.

At 13%, I'd say it's not worth the effort. Just do the repeat c-section and be done with it. Maybe I'm unique, but I healed from my c-section almost immediately. It's the easiest recovery I've ever had out of my total of 6 surgeries.
I wonder how they come up with that? Your pelvis can open substantially during labor. One of my best friends is 86lbs, and 5 feet tall and she gave birth to a 9lb baby vaginally.

July 18th, 2012, 09:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Izzy's*Mommy*
I've never had a c-section, so maybe my advice is pointless...but wouldn't it be worth it to try the VBAC if there's a chance that it could work?

I wonder how they come up with that? Your pelvis can open substantially during labor. One of my best friends is 86lbs, and 5 feet tall and she gave birth to a 9lb baby vaginally.

I think the only way to know this for sure is to try for a vaginal birth, baby not fitting through is extremely rare. I'm 5'7 with WIDE hips, yet a full term baby won't be able to make it through my pelvis. And the only way this was determined was through my vaginal birth. I had to be cut all the way and she had to be pulled out very traumatically and she was only 4 lb 12 oz., so there is no way I am having another vaginal birth for fear of mine and baby's life.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 18th, 2012, 09:42 AM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
There is a VBAC calculator I saw when I was reading up about C-Sections after being told I have placenta previa. http://www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/vagbirth.html

This is just one of them...I saw another chart somewhere but can't remember where. There are other factors to take into consideration depending on the circumstances of your last birth.

If I were given a 13% success rate I would probably just go for the repeat...especially if your recovery last time was fine. But that's me...maybe you are the type who wants to prove everyone wrong.
Good luck with your decision!

July 18th, 2012, 09:52 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I would take into consideration as to why you had the first c/s and go from there. If it was something that was unlikely to happen again or something you might be able to do differently to have a better chance of delivering vaginally then I would look into those options. I had c/s because my history of very large babies and shoulder dystocia. I was able to vaginally deliver a 10lb 8oz baby but she was very bruised and had one of the lowest apgars of any of my kids. Granted she was fine but it was very hard for both of us. I to passed the 3 hr glucose test, so I didn't have GD, their answer was I just had big babies. After having an 11lb 5oz baby, next pregnancy I checked my sugar and I did have issues at the end. I watched my diet better and took insulin at the end and she was normal size. She was my 3rd c/s. But had we figured all that out before I would have considered a vbac. I actually did consider it before my 4th c/s but I had a m/c and ended up required 2 d/c's. On the 2nd, my doc used u/s and said I had considerable thinning at my incision site. When he did my c/s for the next baby he said I didn't need to labor that my uterus was pretty thin. But had we figured out that I really did have issues with my sugar earlier then I would have tried for a vbac sooner since that is something I could control with diet and medication. You need to do what you feel comfortable doing.
July 18th, 2012, 10:12 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids3cats
There is a VBAC calculator I saw when I was reading up about C-Sections after being told I have placenta previa. http://www.bsc.gwu.edu/mfmu/vagbirth.html
TFS!!

Sorry if I came across blunt! I was just curious, definitely do what you feel comfortable with!

Tammy- How many c/s have you had? I've always wanted a big family and having multiple c/s scares me. Hearing about families and circumstances like yours give me a little boost thinking that maybe I will get my 4-5 kids through c/s after all!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

July 18th, 2012, 10:24 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBudSkyTree View Post
TFS!!

Sorry if I came across blunt! I was just curious, definitely do what you feel comfortable with!

Tammy- How many c/s have you had? I've always wanted a big family and having multiple c/s scares me. Hearing about families and circumstances like yours give me a little boost thinking that maybe I will get my 4-5 kids through c/s after all!
This will be my 5th c/s. This will be the 3rd doc that has done one. I asked both afterwards how everything looked and was it ok to have more kids. They say that one of the risks with multiple c/s is damage to the bladder from scar tissue. My last doc said I had some scar tissue but it wasn't too bad. He said he removed my old scar and stitched me up really well in case I had another baby. He also fixed my diastasis while there. He did say that my uterus had thinned considerably and that I should not labor. I know someone who had 6 c/s. We have just taken each one as they come. If a doc had told us we that I shouldn't have another c/s then we would consider that. I really think this will be our last baby, but we'll see how things look after this one.
LiamsMother likes this.
July 19th, 2012, 08:31 AM
Ok, thanks everyone! I guess what I was really asking is if anyone has any advice about things I can do to make the C go better, or things to have in the hospital. We didn't know about the C last time and it's been over 6 years, so I can't remember if there was anything I wish I would have had with me. I'm not one of those crazies who thinks I'm not a real woman if I don't push a baby out through my hoo-ha, it's really ok lol
I originally wanted to do the VBAC to avoid a major surgery, which is what a C is, but I don't reliish the thought of going all through labor and pushing again on the off chance that I might be able to do it. I don't know exactly how she came up with that percentage of success, I guess I just didn't question it at the time. Definitely going to check out those calculators though, that's very interesting.
July 19th, 2012, 08:36 AM
Oh, I think I'm low on percentage because I pushed for 2 1/2 hours and then they called it 'failure to progress.' But I don't really know if that's something my body did or an external circumstance.
July 19th, 2012, 08:47 AM
Mollyjayne's Avatar Super Mommy
Interesting thread. I haven't had a c-section but I enjoyed reading this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search