Weight Gain and Eating Habits

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 20th, 2012, 12:29 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Because of my HG, I tend to graze instead of eating huge meals. But, I rarely consume more than 1500-1700 calories a day. I'm not hungry most of the time, and I'm not an over eater normally. I feel like I eat between 1600 - 1800 calories a day when I'm not pregnant!

Earlier this week, the scale at the doctors office told me I gained 12lbs in 4 weeks, bringing my total weight gain to 17lbs. Seeing as how I eat so little, it literally blew my mind! I figured the scale was wrong. My scale at home is always 3-4lbs over what my doctors office says. At my visit this week, I had to go to their other office, with a different scale, so I figured I really only gained probably around 8lbs. Which is still a lot in 4 weeks!

I just stepped on my scale again. I've been super awesome about tracking my caloric intake, walking, eating fruits and whole grains, no junk and just being super intentional about what I'm putting into my body. Since Monday, I've gained 3.5lbs?! I have NO IDEA how this is happening! I already have such a horrible self image issue, and this just isn't helping.

My doctor told me on Monday that she has never been concerned about my weight, and that she won't be. But this is concerning me.... a lot! Is anyone else having this problem?

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 20th, 2012, 02:18 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's weird! Have you changed your activity level at all? (although I feel silly asking you that with your background!)

July 20th, 2012, 02:23 PM
Durango14's Avatar ♥ Expecting #2 ♥
I'm in the same boat! I'm beginning to get really frustrated and I'm sure you are as well. I saw my doctor yesterday and have put on 17 lbs in 25.5 weeks. I'm thinking it has to be water retention? I'm a dog walker so I walk for at least 3 hours and countless miles M-F plus do 30 min on a treadmill 4 days a week so I'm shocked by my weight gain as well.

July 20th, 2012, 02:46 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
That's weird! Have you changed your activity level at all? (although I feel silly asking you that with your background!)
I'm not working out like I was before I was pregnant, thats for sure! But, I am aiming to get 15-30 minutes of cardio 3-4 times a week. I usually take the dog for a walk, or walk on the treadmill, or do my yoga video.

Quote:
I'm in the same boat! I'm beginning to get really frustrated and I'm sure you are as well. I saw my doctor yesterday and have put on 17 lbs in 25.5 weeks. I'm thinking it has to be water retention? I'm a dog walker so I walk for at least 3 hours and countless miles M-F plus do 30 min on a treadmill 4 days a week so I'm shocked by my weight gain as well.
Thats what I'm thinking too! I know I have a lot of issues with water retention around the time my period normally comes... I can gain 5lbs easily. I'm glad I'm not alone on this one. I'm super frustrated with the weight gain and we still have like 15 weeks left of this!

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 20th, 2012, 02:57 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's normal and if your doctor isn't concerned, I wouldn't worry at all.
I stuck to strict eating habits and didn't increase calorie intake at all when pregnant with Lorelai & I still gained 38 lbs. With Angelina I ate whatever I wanted & gained 48 lbs! But within a week after giving birth to her, I had lost 25 lbs!
This time I'm eating pretty much whatever I want, but I am not a junk or greasy food eater, it's sweets that are my weakness. Since everything else I eat is pretty healthy, I figure a couple of cookies with lunch and bite-size chocolates after dinner won't kill me. LOL

July 20th, 2012, 04:09 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm ballooning up as well. My OB isn't concerned either. When I asked about the weight increase, he pretty much blames it on the amout of physical activity I did before, compared to now. It's probably the same for you.

Dont freak out over it! You can go back to dieting and excercise before you know it. I can't wait to get back into the gym :-)

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
July 20th, 2012, 05:18 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I wouldn't worry about it honestly. With all of my pregnancies I gain nothing the first trimester due to being sick, then I gain eveything between like 18 and 33 weeks. I gained 41 lbs the first time, 25 lbs the second time; and 10 lbs so far this time.
July 20th, 2012, 08:15 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is not meant to sound insensitive at all, as I definitely feel your pain. But also, I wish I had your problem!! I gained 57, 72, and 66 pounds with my kids! Right now, I'm at 21 pounds in about 23 weeks! I guess I'm just a weight gainer during pregnancy:/. My eating habits don't change much more than I'd say the average pregnant woman, so I don't know. Probably just water weight. I know it sucks, but it won't last forever.

July 20th, 2012, 08:42 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I think some women just tend to gain more in pregnancy than others; it's normal.
Some of the most active and fit women in my previous DDCs were on the same weight gain path as many of the others.
All in all, your body is going to do what it can to nourish and support this baby. If you are eating right and still being active then I wouldn't worry too much about it. Since you've already habitualized those things the weight should come off pretty easily after baby comes (or for some after weaning).

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search