EC anyone?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By *Izzy's*Mommy*
  • 2 Post By mrs.wagner.10

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2012, 11:28 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Anyone planning on elimination communication?

I didn't with my first and she just potty trained a few months ago ad is doing fabulous! I think with new baby I'm going to do part time EC to save some diapers and if it goes well and easy as my friends who do it- maybe well have potty training done naturally by 16-18 months. I've been reading Diaper Free Baby and there are so many good points and it seems pretty simple. And who doesn't want less dirty disposable diapers to toss or less cloth diapers to wash. I plan to part time cd too
July 21st, 2012, 11:36 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
We CD, so I guess it's not too far off. I've heard of it, but never done it and don't think I will, especially with having 2 older school aged children and their schedules, lol!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

July 21st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
It's very interesting to me. For me, the good thing about them being potty trained is them being able to pretty much go by themselves without being asked or told. If i have to take them every 30 mins to sit on the toilet or they will wet, that's not my definition of potty trained but thats just me. And with us having so many kids and several younger ones, potty training isn't an issue for us. Once they get the idea, they are pretty good about going. my last ones have been super easy with almost no effort on our part. Plus, I work now so it would be hard for us. It's not for our family but I thinks its pretty neat.
July 21st, 2012, 04:48 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
havent really looked into it, but want to.... will check out the book you mentioned.

July 21st, 2012, 05:17 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope. I have a friend who did it with her kid and she's now 4 and still pees and poops in her pants and isn't potty trained at all. All that work/time for nothing.
I went to an informational meeting where they talked about it, but I don't have time to watch my kid for their cues for the entire day. I have 2 older children and we have busy school/activity/social lives.
I am however, strongly considering cloth diapering.

July 21st, 2012, 05:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids3cats
Nope. I have a friend who did it with her kid and she's now 4 and still pees and poops in her pants and isn't potty trained at all. All that work/time for nothing.
I went to an informational meeting where they talked about it, but I don't have time to watch my kid for their cues for the entire day. I have 2 older children and we have busy school/activity/social lives.
I am however, strongly considering cloth diapering.
Wow that's interesting that her 4 yr old is regressing. I've read it happens. I do have probably 6-7 friends who ECed and those babes now are toddlers who are potty trained fully. So don't let your 1 friend change your mind. My thinking is if I can save a few diapers and baby is used to going on potty- its easier to potty train. We had a few hard wks a month ago with my 3 yr old dd when she had a fear of releasing poop and pee in potty. And screamed for her diapers. And EC babies learn to signal before going in diaper and at birth don't want to sit in there pee and poop and that's why when you change a newborn baby - they pee before you put new diaper on them. I was peed on alot by my dd. this is one thing they talk about in diaper free baby.
July 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm not too interested in it. I think it's a bit silly to rush an infant to the toilet. Of course, that's just my opinion. I'm not at all saying that the parents who practice EC are silly. It would make my life hectic also, because I'll be chasing around an almost 3 year old.

My daughter just turned 2.5 yrs, and once she has her poops in the toilet down, she'll be fully trained.
mrs.wagner.10 likes this.

July 21st, 2012, 09:24 PM
mrs.wagner.10's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
^^ Couldnt agree more. I dont like when people push their children to do something that they are not ready for. IE beauty pageants, sports, different clubs, learning different languages, yada yada yada.. At the same time we are parents and we chose what is in the best interest of our child and kids do not come with a book on how to parent.

7 lbs 7 oz 21" 11/4/12 2:11 pmThank you Kiliki for my amazing Siggy!!!
July 21st, 2012, 09:41 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I don't plan on using EC, but I do plan on starting potty training early. Once Oliver is walking, and I can recognize when he's *going*, I'll start offering the potty and highly encouraging it. In my mind, theres no reason why he can't learn what the urges in his body are telling him, and how to properly respond.

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 22nd, 2012, 05:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachkel
I don't plan on using EC, but I do plan on starting potty training early. Once Oliver is walking, and I can recognize when he's *going*, I'll start offering the potty and highly encouraging it. In my mind, theres no reason why he can't learn what the urges in his body are telling him, and how to properly respond.
You might want to read up on EC because it does discuss early potty training as part of EC and how to recognize cues and tips.
July 22nd, 2012, 04:17 PM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachkel
This is what we did/have been doing with Eli We had a lot of progress with him learning and understanding more about his bodily functions around 15-16 months, but at this point (22 months) we've realized he's just not ready for full on potty training yet and I don't want to push it on him.
I'm another who can not imagine rushing my infant to the toilet all day

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
July 22nd, 2012, 06:27 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anna* View Post
You might want to read up on EC because it does discuss early potty training as part of EC and how to recognize cues and tips.
I've done extensive reading on EC. Personally, I don't consider 14-18 months "early potty training". In my family, thats just when we've started doing it. My younger brother was fully potty trained before he was 2 (he's 8 now), and my 10 year old sister was by the age of 2 I believe. Maybe a couple months after. I babysit a 14 month little girl, and she's being encouraged by her parents to use the potty all the time at home. Her mom says she's having some success with it as well.

For me, its more strange that some parents wait until their child is older than 3 years before they attempt. Its just not how I've ever seen things done before. I just want to add that my statements are not meant to offend anyone at all! I just personally have never seen potty training start any later than 14-15 months. But that doesn't mean that if it is, I think its wrong. Just different to me

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

Last edited by rachkel; July 22nd, 2012 at 06:43 PM.
July 22nd, 2012, 09:37 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
It's not for me, but I'm not against it, either. I'm sure it's what people did wayyyy back in the day and they do it in other countries, so why not? It's just not for us though, I love my baby cloth and I don't mind the wait.

July 23rd, 2012, 07:20 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have heard of it, but it's not for me. My kids have all potty traind between 22 months and 3 years.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search