Labor and Birth Options

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes
  • 1 Post By BlndGrl8
  • 2 Post By Marksgirl0502
  • 1 Post By white.house
  • 1 Post By ~l~
  • 3 Post By white.house
  • 1 Post By Leanne78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 21st, 2012, 11:30 AM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
For some bizarre reason, I am seriously (and not freaking out about) considering natural labor and birth. As in, no induction (hopefully) and no meds. I did not have a bad labor with my dd until the very end of the pushing and it was her heart rate that caused the issue so it may have happened with or without the epidural.

The reason I'm considering natural labor is because I was induced with dd. they broke my water and labor started naturally. Then they gave me petocin. my pain level went from a 2-3 straight to a 9 within 30 minutes. I was dilated to 1cm when I went in and 6 hours later, my daughter was born. My body had no time to adjust to the labor and I needed an episiotomy. I was literally battered and bruised afterward and the nurse who came to check on me was shocked as to how swollen and injured my lady parts were. I was so physically beat up I couldn't even pee on my own for about 12 hours after birth because I couldn't stand on my own.

Granted, I didn't feel any pain until the end after the epi but I wonder if I'd have just been allowed to progress naturally if I'd have had a much easier recovery after birth. And this leads me to the med free labor. With the epi I know it can stall/delay things. And without intervention, I don't want to be in pain free labor for hours and hours and end up needing a c section because baby is under duress.

What did you decide? And will you choose this again?

I know it's hurts naturally. But I have zero experience of natural labor contractions and if I can handle them. All I know of is the hell of petocin induced contractions which were so bad. And I wider if it's worse to have the pain upfront or the pain after (my recovery was awful).

July 21st, 2012, 11:57 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I may be one of the odd ones here- but I loved giving birth to my daughter. No meds, no interventions, no IV even. Just au natural . And I loved it! Yes it was difficult and hurt- but it wasn't like I imagined! And I studied Hypnobabies and will be again too. That was the best to learn how to relax during each 'pressure wave' (contraction). Doing the program trains your brain to not think of it as pain. And helps get through each PW to the next one. And crowning was nothing. Heard from people it's the worst and it's not. It was burning and hot and pressure but it was almost over by then . Also I was in a birth center and was able to labor how I wanted - not laying down at all - which helped baby descend and naturally come out. I labored in shower, on ball, in tub, squatting... And I labored at home for first 7 hrs of my 13 hr labor! That was important. This birth is planned as a home birth with a midwife. And I want to birth in a tub which I heard is great. My DD was posterior and I had horrible back and leg and butt labor--- and her cord wrapped around her ankle and when I was pushing her out she would get pulled back in. Haha. So it wasn't easy to do it without drugs- but it was so awesome to do it- biggest accomplishment of my life and I can't wait to do it again!
Also reccommend watching Business of Being born (the first one and the new BOBB - Ina May on the Farm and the Celebrity one). And reading Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth and The Thinking Woman's Guide to childbirth. And check out hypnobabies. Their Facebook page is great too!

Sorry such a long comment. I'm extremely passionate about NCB (no drugs or and interventions). I believe they mostly lead to an unnecessary c/s- and isn't good for baby or mama or developing the breastfeeding relationship. I believe drugs and c/s are there for those who require it- not everyone! Our bodies were designed to carry and grow our babies and deliver them naturally! It's possible and by adding any interventions like pitocin and epifurals only intensifies any pressures and pain we feel so I think it's worst when they add all the interventions! BOBB explains that all well for those who haven't seen it (on Netflix!)
July 21st, 2012, 12:16 PM
Irene.C's Avatar Veteran
Good for you I am also trying to do the no pain meds I want to aviod c-section and all those other horrible things so natural is the best way to do it. Why did they break your waters to begin with? I am reading Natural hospital birth its a very practical guide to dealing with the hospital for a natural birth its not that long either.

July 21st, 2012, 01:09 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I had a similar experience with my induction. I went from nothing to everything in just 30 minutes. It was so intense that there is no way I could have done it without an epi. I had done the hypnobabies course as well and was really hoping to do that, but no programming in the world was going to make me believe those contractions were just pressure. They were the worst period cramps I'd ever experience in my life. I did not get an episiotomy, but I ended up with 14 stitches - 7 internal, 7 external and hermroids that made labor feel like a cake walk. I honestly think after going through all that, I could make it through a normal labor unmedicated (only got my epi right at the end). So, I'm going to start my hypnobabies course again and see if we can make it through this time. I will fight having an induction tooth and nail!

July 21st, 2012, 03:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I had a natural birth with my son & although it's been YEARS, I can honestly say that I'd prefer to have it that same way again- mind you my water broke at 9:27 & then he was born exactly two hours later at 11:27. It was my intent to do the same with DD, but for medical reasons, I was induced & I had her in three hours.

I found the contractions & the whole experience much easier with my son, but like I said my labor/delivery was rather fast for a first born...

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

July 21st, 2012, 05:37 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Right now Im thinking Ill go natural again. I would suggest (as Anna did) reading Ina Mays Guide to Childbirth and spiritual Midwifery. Ill probably read both again. I am going to keep an open mind and educate myself. If natural birth seems right at the time of delivery, I will do it; if not Ill change things up.

July 21st, 2012, 06:52 PM
kristap4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to kristap4
I had and epidural with my 1st 2 and did just fine. I loved that it was nice and relaxed and had no issues, either with the induction or the epi... My 3rd went way to fast and i didn't have time for the epi. No induction or anything and even though i had more pain, i had no other issues just like with the other 2. And to be honest, the pain wasn't at all that bad. This time, if i do have the time i would like to epi just because i don't deal well with pain and like the relaxed birth, but i will be prepared if it goes as quick at my DS...
July 21st, 2012, 06:55 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
I had a med free birth and I loved it!! The adrenaline high I felt right afterward was nothing like I've ever felt before!!! I was SO pumped up just talking away and calling people, it was awesome. I went into the hospital in the morning already dilated at a 5 and Kaitlin was born about 6 hrs later (I only labored about 8 hours). I think it hurt the worst when I was about a 9 and all I kept thinking was "women in Africa have their babies in the fields, I can totally do this!" DH was very supportive and knew how much I wanted an unmedicated birth. I'm so glad I did it, I really feel it was such an accomplishment and something I'm proud of. I can't wait to do it again!! I say go for it, you can totally do it!!
MoonMom likes this.
July 21st, 2012, 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlndGrl8
I had a med free birth and I loved it!! The adrenaline high I felt right afterward was nothing like I've ever felt before!!! I was SO pumped up just talking away and calling people, it was awesome. I went into the hospital in the morning already dilated at a 5 and Kaitlin was born about 6 hrs later (I only labored about 8 hours). I think it hurt the worst when I was about a 9 and all I kept thinking was "women in Africa have their babies in the fields, I can totally do this!" DH was very supportive and knew how much I wanted an unmedicated birth. I'm so glad I did it, I really feel it was such an accomplishment and something I'm proud of. I can't wait to do it again!! I say go for it, you can totally do it!!
Totally agree! I loved it so much and cant wait to do it again! And 10 mins after I delivered the placenta- I was walking to the bathroom to pee!
And with an epi- you cant eat- i believe- and have to be tied to bed - where I wanted to walk and jump in shower- and go in tub. And no crazy drugs to go to the baby! I've heard epis can make baby so sleepy- on top of what they already are- that they won't bf. and that would suck! No pun intended
July 21st, 2012, 08:57 PM
Marksgirl0502's Avatar Veteran
Well, I've had four very different birth experiences, and still haven't decided what I'll do this time. (I'm also due Nov. 10th!) I had the first two naurally at home with a midwife, and I have to say I didn't have any of those 'wonderful, euphoric' feelings that other ladies had! It was sheer torture both times, and I had horrible, very long and painful recoveries afterward. Of course they were both right around 9 pounds, so that didn't help! :-) So with our third we decided enough was enough and I did the hospital route with an epi, induced labor (I was almost a week late) and having my water broke, and all that. It was the most amazing birth EVER! It was so effortless when compared with the first two, I felt almost guilty getting to walk out of the hospital with a baby! So we did the hospital with epi for number four, (not induced that time) and again it was wonderful. I think with the epi I'm able to just relax, and it actually helps things 'open up' and progress faster. This time with number five I'm planning to have her at the hospital, but am thinking of doing it naturally. Last time I labored to 7 cm without meds, and did great. I'm hoping with this being the fifth, my body has figured out how to do it a little better than wih the first two! But I'm just going to wait and see how labor goes, and if I want an epi it's no big deal. I don't have any strong convictions about doing it naturally, since they don't give out rewards for being in the most pain! I'd say do whatever feels right at the time, and be open to a change of plans!
~l~ and Belita like this.

July 22nd, 2012, 09:40 AM
My hospital will not let you eat or drink regardless of getting an epi or not. It's so if you have to have an emergency C-section, you will not have a full stomach when they do it. As far as the epi affecting the baby, my daughter was wired when she came out. She was the most alert baby I've ever seen, so it did not affect her at all. I would be more concerned about the IV drugs causing the baby to be groggy or drugged. That's one of the reasons I would never do those - not knowing how they'll affect the baby. But I'll also say that after giving birth, the last thing in the world I would be upset about is a tired or sleepy baby. Akadia didn't sleep much at all the first night. I wouldn't have complained if she had been a little more sluggish!

July 22nd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an almost all natural birth with my DS.. my water broke on it's own and I labored into transition on my own, then got IV medication which I hated. This time around, I plan to go without them. They affected DS after birth from my quick labor, and they made me very loopy and out of it and not remember much.

Honestly, the pain sucks but it's not as bad as you think it will be. Not for me anyway. I was able to think and focus through it all all the way up until transition, when I started freaking out because I knew the time was coming lol. Fear makes the pain worse.. definitely did for me. Now that I've btdt and know what to expect.. I'm so excited to labor!

July 22nd, 2012, 01:35 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've had epidurals for all my vaginal deliveries and spinals for the c/s and all my babies were alert and had no problem breastfeeding except for my first and with her I had iv meds before the epidural. She was very sleepy for a bit and then developed jaundice which also makes them sleepy. I had very long labors with all of them and was induced several times. The pitocen made the labors much harder and with some of them the epi didn't work well so I was miserable. I felt if I could just get up and move that I'd feel much better but of course I couldn't. Of course with mine that hurt the worst, the babies were face up. I think if anyone really wants to have a med free birth they need to avoid pitocen if at all possible! With my first, I was contracting but not doing much and they started it since my water broke the night before. I was progressing but not a lot.
The pain was not bad at all, and then they started the pitocen and just a bit later I was begging for something for pain! I was not expecting that at all! If I hadn't had such big babies and long labors I think I would have liked to try natural. But I have to say when the epidural worked for me it was wonderful! I was very relaxed and able to talk to any visitors that came by. It was a good experience.
July 22nd, 2012, 04:03 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Just wanted to say, in regards to the epi making baby sleepy, I also had an epi for 12 hours of my labor and then they had to up it for my c/s. Eli came out with his eyes open and so alert! It was crazy! He was even attempting to lift off of my chest! We were also able to BF right away.
cindy6 likes this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 22nd, 2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBudSkyTree
Just wanted to say, in regards to the epi making baby sleepy, I also had an epi for 12 hours of my labor and then they had to up it for my c/s. Eli came out with his eyes open and so alert! It was crazy! He was even attempting to lift off of my chest! We were also able to BF right away.
That's great you girls didn't have too sleepy a baby from the epis you got--- but I've spoken to many many moms who did. And talking to one now of a 6 day old who won't latch now and she's not supplementing with formula and so frustrated and moms losing her supply that came in at day 4- and baby is lazy cuz of bottle. So it can be tough for many people--- don't want the girls who never had one to think every baby isn't sleepy from it. The drugs do enter their body still.
July 22nd, 2012, 04:47 PM
~l~
I had both experiences- first with pitocin and epi and second without anything. My first was a much more enjoyable experience and I had no trouble breastfeeding afterward, nor was my baby groggy.

I just don't want you to feel pressured by anyone to go in a certain direction. If you want to do an all natural birth, then go for it! But if that doesn't work out, there is no reason to feel any negative emotions.

This time I am leaning toward all natural, but I will go with the flow. If I change my mind, fine! The epi was a wonderful experince for me. All natural is obviously more painful, but if I feel like I want to conquer that challenge again, then I will do it.
Belita likes this.
July 22nd, 2012, 04:48 PM
Jamyandcrew's Avatar Veteran
I'm sorry if I sound like a broken record but if you are even considering this option you should absolutely go for it! It was hands down the best decision I have ever made from my first birth (pitocon, epidural etc.) And my second-all natural hypnobirth. I tentatively started researching a better birth which led me to go into my sons birth totally peaceful and prepared for the task. It was beautiful and I cant wait to do it again. Far and away a better experience and one that further strengthened the bond between me and dh.
July 22nd, 2012, 04:55 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anna*

That's great you girls didn't have too sleepy a baby from the epis you got--- but I've spoken to many many moms who did. And talking to one now of a 6 day old who won't latch now and she's not supplementing with formula and so frustrated and moms losing her supply that came in at day 4- and baby is lazy cuz of bottle. So it can be tough for many people--- don't want the girls who never had one to think every baby isn't sleepy from it. The drugs do enter their body still.
Right! I get that, but I don't want everyone to think that scenarios will definitely go one way or another and that's why we are all here to give our different perspectives When it comes down to it every woman, every baby, and every situation is so completely different! People can find horror stories and the negative in all different types of births, so I wanted to give a positive perspective
~l~, Belita and Enceinte2012 like this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 23rd, 2012, 12:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anna* View Post
The hard part is knowing in cases like that whether the lady would have had problems breastfeeding anyways. Lots of people do regardless of having an epi or not, so it's easy to blaim the epi when things start off rough. That said, I'm sure it affects every baby differently so not all babies are going to be sleepy and drugged and not all will be alert and bushy eyed. I've also read a lot about how epis can slow down labor but then I've talked to a lot of women in real life who said it actually helped them relax and made their labor go quickly. That's how it was with me. As soon as I had it, I relaxed and was literally ready to push in less than an hour. So it obviously just affects different women in different ways as well. There's no way to know how it's going to go, so you just have to make the best decision you can for yourself and your baby. I would love to go without one this time if I can, but I'll still consider it as a possibility if I just can't take it.
Belita likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I have had 7 births so far and most of the recoveries have not been horrible, but hands down the easiest recovery was w/ Jacob I didn't get my epi on time so he was a natural birth. Before him I was sure I never wanted to go natural, but I am seriously considering it now. Did it it hurt?? Oh yes! But not as badly as I thought it would. For about 15minutes or so I thought for sure I was dying, but the pain of him coming out was hardly any. It was the contractions before that were killing me. I think for sure you can do it! I plan on doing lots of research to better prepare myself this time!

My natural birth baby was the only one who just wouldn't latch. My lactation consultant was in my room all the time and we could not get that kid to latch, lol. All of my babies have been very alert after birth weather epi's or not.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search