Baptism

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2012, 09:46 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Did (or will) anyone else get their baby baptized? What did you guys do? Have a little party afterwards? Do you send out invites? Sorry if these are dumb questions; I've never really been to a christening before (aside from my own, which I don't remember )

ETA: Also, what did you have baby wear? If you had them wear a christening gown, where did you get it from?

July 22nd, 2012, 11:15 AM
kellysensei's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Evan was baptized a few weeks ago. It was a pain in the butt to arrange, because the priest originally wouldn't do it just because DH was baptized in a different kind (Maronite) of Catholic church, and I'm not Catholic. So ridiculous - baptism should be about the child, not about the parents.

Anyway, we did not send out invites; we just invited close family and had them over to our house afterwards for treats. The other baby at the baptism (not related) was wearing a Christening gown, but honestly speaking, Evan just wore some white pajamas with plaid shorts because the pajamas were the only white piece of clothing we had for him, LOL.

Evan James (2/18/12) and Gabriel Anthony (6/5/10)

July 22nd, 2012, 12:01 PM
Blue-Jay's Avatar Jenny
I am in the middle of this, and I have to say, it's a huge pain in the rear. I'm right there with you, girl!

You can get a Christening gown at Target, Buy Buy Baby, Macy's... I think any place there's a reasonably-sized baby clothing section. Or even a second-hand place.

People do throw parties sometimes, but we are going to make it a very small affair with just close family and the godparents, and people will come to our place afterwards, though we can't really fit them all, lol. There might be light refreshments but nothing major; we can't really afford to throw a huge party. You can send invites if you want, but it's not necessary; it just depends on how much money you want to spend and how big you want the affair to be (kind of like a birthday party, kwim?).

Hope this helps!

July 22nd, 2012, 08:51 PM
MissusF's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We go to a nondenominational christian church. They don't baptize babies or young children. Only people old enough to have made the decision for themselves. They do, however, do child dedications which is basically welcoming the new baby into the church family and the congregation prays over the baby/family, etc. We will eventually have this done but DH works weekends so he would have to take time off work for the class and then that church service so we keep putting it off. I kinda wish we had done it last weekend because my parents were here. They are very religious and would have liked to see it.

July 23rd, 2012, 06:10 AM
ASH_M's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We'll be getting her baptized during Christmas time, same as what I did for my DD1. I bought DD1's dress online, but I know JCPenny's has a pretty good selection in stores. We didn't have a party per say, but we did our Christmas festivities afterwards with our family.

July 24th, 2012, 12:11 AM
.:Kati:.'s Avatar kyler's mommy
Nope,i will leave that decision up to him when he's old enough and aware of what's going on. If he comes up to me randomly saying he wants to be baptised that's cool,otherwise i wont bring up the topic. I was forced into being baptised when i was 12 it was useless because i wasn't into it.

July 24th, 2012, 06:55 AM
JTsquared's Avatar Co-Host of Feb 2012 PR
We baptized Cooper in June. Yes, we sent out invites, family only. It was on Father's Day, so instead of having the usual 50 people (I have a huge family), we had about 35. We had lunch afterwards at a local country club. My mom went all out decorating and everything. I had cupcakes made, blue frosting with white crosses, they were very cool. My mom bought Cooper's outfit, silk pants, top and a vest. He looked adorable. Too bad he cried most of the day. It's amazing what a month will do for maturity, now he hardly ever cries.
July 24th, 2012, 08:55 AM
HubbysSweetheart's Avatar Little Jo married Laurie!
We are planning to do a small get together with just family a few close friends and our pastor to do a baby dedication.... for us this mean that we are dedicating our baby to God, and promising to raise His gift to us the best we can according to the knowledge we have and praying for wisdom and guidance as we do so.

Our faith is very much apart of our lives and I am praying Chloe will have this as well, but she will have to make this decision for herself and if she does then she'll be baptized.

July 24th, 2012, 09:31 AM
Girl IS my name's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We're doing our baby dedication this weekend actually. She just has a cute pink little outfit, that I hope fits... I didn't send out invitations. I just let family know when it is. DH's grandmother talked about getting a cake, but I kinda really hope she doesn't... That's just a lot of money and effort. She wanted to get it "for" Aubree. Well she can't have cake... Anyway... it should either be a lot of fun, or very stressful.

Follow my blog: http://finallyfoundwhereibelong.wordpress.com/

Thank you Jaidynsmum for our PR Banner!!
July 24th, 2012, 06:27 PM
sarah_19_nz's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Not religious here so there will be no pouring water over Lucy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search