White Furniture for a boy?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2012, 11:54 AM
Hi!

I am a total lurker here but due in November with the rest of you! I really have enjoyed reading the forum but up until now have had nothing to post or input.

We did not find out of we are having a boy or girl, which gives a few nursery dilemmas.

Do the majority of you feel white furniture would be too feminine for a boy? I would like to have a glider that matches when baby gets here, as we could wait on the crib/dresser ect until after birth (have baby in our room initially). We likely will not have other children down the road to reuse the furniture on. I am leaning toward a convertible crib into a full sized bed.

Our home is newer and modern, we have cherry furniture in the other bedrooms currently. We have off white carpet, with white wood throughout the house on closets, baseboard, windows ect.

What do you all think? Initially I wanted cherry then saw some nice white nurseries on Pinterst that got me thinking....

Also I am open to bedding suggestions for a boy or neutral if you have suggestions. I do have a few in mind already if we have a girl, and may wait to buy until baby is here.

Thank you for the input.
July 22nd, 2012, 12:21 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My kids have all used white furniture, and I have 1 girl and 2 boys. I do tend to think maybe it's not as masculine as oak or cherry furniture, but I don't see that it's a big deal (obviously). If you like white, go with white. You could always have a bedding set for each gender picked out ahead of time, and go buy it after baby is born. You could pick something very boyish to "boy up" the white furniture if you go that route. Good luck!!

July 22nd, 2012, 12:33 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think white furniture is just fine for a boy! It's the bedding and decor that really define the room after all... so go for it!

Oh, and congrats!

Why don't you introduce yourself and join in!?!

July 22nd, 2012, 12:45 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I agree, white furniture is fine for a boy, the bedding and decorations make it look boy/girl.
July 22nd, 2012, 03:32 PM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
White furniture is fine for a boy. Have you ever checked out Project Nursery? It's a great site with lots of nursery pics. You will see an overwhelming majority of nurseries using white furniture for boys and girls.

We went with espresso for our boy because we are using an off-white upholstered glider but, if we had found a different glider I would have probably went with white furniture.

July 22nd, 2012, 03:39 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
We are using the white crib and changing table and dresser that my daughter currently has now for our boy due in November! I think it will look just fine
July 22nd, 2012, 04:04 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
i think white funiture would be very nice for a boy, you also can put decales on it to make more boyish, and remove them when you want to re-use them

July 22nd, 2012, 04:06 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm doing white furniture for a boy. It never crossed my mind it might be seen as too feminine and my husband has no problem with it either.

July 22nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I personally only like white nursery furniture for a girl, but that's just my style!
There are definitely other ways to make it more masculine though! If you love it, go for it!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 22nd, 2012, 04:59 PM
~l~
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBudSkyTree View Post
I personally only like white nursery furniture for a girl, but that's just my style!
There are definitely other ways to make it more masculine though! If you love it, go for it!
ditto! I have a friend who did white furniture for her boy and it looks great, but I am just weird- even if I had a white crib and then had a boy I would go out and buy a wood colored crib.
July 22nd, 2012, 07:08 PM
Thank you or all the responses. I honestly too thought of it being feminine until this past week as well. My husband has zero preference on the nursery (other than nothing crazy that wouldn't go with the rest of our decor).

I am definitely going to check out Project Nursery! That was a great suggestion as my googles were not coming up with as much inspiration as I would have liked.

My biggest fear in going white is limiting the life of using the crib converted as a full bed down the road. I imagine we could give it away or use it in a guest room and buy a more boyish bed if we have a son and if he mentions it being girly.
July 22nd, 2012, 08:44 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
I think the idea that a white crib is girly is due to manufacturers advertising and pairing them with bedding for baby girls. It lends a softer look to the softer colors for baby girls.

Here are some white cribs with boy colors to give you an idea of how well a white crib will work. Warning: some are a tad busy.

July 23rd, 2012, 07:24 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We used a white crib for a short time w/ one of my son's. I don't really like white furniture though, but I don't think it's to girly.

July 23rd, 2012, 07:47 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I like white furniture, but my DH hates it. The only piece of white furniture he gave into was our kitchen table. I do think certain styles of white cribs can be too girly, but same can be said about other color furniture too.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search