b/f / ff

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes
  • 1 Post By *Izzy's*Mommy*
  • 4 Post By *Anna*
  • 1 Post By tryinfor5

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 22nd, 2012, 08:52 PM
Veteran
Ok so i want to totally give breast feeding my all and i hope i can do it effectivley for at least 6 months if i make it for 6 months i'll b very happy, but i would ultimatlely like to do it for one year, but anyway my question is that i know some moms will bf till 2 or 3 years, but does a child take formula for 2 3 years?? i dont think they do but then again i really dont know.

Thank You Peimum for my beautiful siggy (:

July 22nd, 2012, 09:04 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
well they do have formula for toddlers.. but like all mammals breast milk is only intended to have until the baby can eat on their own.. for humans because we can actually have a preference, but they say at 1 year because by then the babies should def be eating foods that take the place of the nutrients that they get from the breastmilk.. like all other mammals they only breastfeed until their young eat on their own that replaces the nutrients they would not have gotten otherwise.

but with humans most infants don't eat as much on a regular basis like older kids do so most people try to breastfeed til year 1, or formula feed til year 1... usually the only reason formula is needed after 1 year is if the child doesnt eat the recommended amounts
July 22nd, 2012, 09:13 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Yeah, typically people don't formula feed for 2-3 years.

July 22nd, 2012, 09:24 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Formula is used until age 1 and then the child gets switched onto cow's milk, typically, with solids also. If breastfeeding passed 1, the mother's milk is still taking the place of cow's milk along with solids. The recommendation is 2+ for BFing but we only made it till 14mo last time, and then switched to coconut and almond milk b/c we don't do cow's. There are some formulas for toddlers, which is also an option but it's not common.. most moms just switch to cow's.

July 22nd, 2012, 09:47 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I had a few friends continue with formula (or half formula+half milk) a few months after their LO turned one. In most of those situations it was because their LO wasn't eating very much or was very picky, so they felt more comfortable continuing on with formula for a little longer.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 22nd, 2012, 11:08 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The WHO (world health organization) recommends breastfeeding for at least 2 years. Obviously your baby will be on solids by a year old, but some moms (myself included) continue to breastfeed.

I would rather feed my child milk that is designed for her as opposed to cow's milk which is filled with hormones, antibiotics....and blood and pus (from the cow's udders constantly having mastitis from too much milking).

Most people I know who forumla fed, just switched to cow's milk after the 1 year mark. I don't think toddler formula is necessary unless you have a child that needs the extra calories.
Think4Yourself likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 05:34 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Akadia is only getting toddler formula right now because she absolutely hates milk (regular, soy, you name it). She's also a really really picky eater. So, her doctor is fine with her still getting the toddler formula while we are working on finding more foods that she will eat so that she is at least getting most of her nutrients. I breastfed her for about 3 months before I switched to pumping and then we fed her breastmilk up to a year before starting the formula. Breastfeeding was a nightmare for me (mastitis like 3 times, blocked ducts, you name it), so I can't imaging doing it for 2 years or pumping that long I was sooo happy to retire that pump and it's the one thing I'm dreading this time around. I'm sure if my experience had been different, I would have tried to breastfeed or pump longer. My doctor recommends at least 1 year, but I have heard of 2 being recommended too.

July 23rd, 2012, 06:43 AM
Mega Super Mommy
All of my kids have had formula and it was stopped shortly before or after their 1st bday (depending on how much we had left) I'm hoping to breastfeed this one for at least 6 months as well.

July 23rd, 2012, 10:33 AM
Veteran
Ok, thats what i thought, i never really thought you would formula feed after a year unless medically nesccassry, thanks for all the replies.

July 23rd, 2012, 11:01 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm a LLL Leader... and I recommend everyone planning to BF, (or unsure even) to seek out your local LLL group... and attend a couple meetings at least before you deliver... its very very important I think to see other moms BF, hear stories, challenges, successes... etc. I still BF my 3 yr old DD, and love it so much and plan to tandem when new baby is here

also--- for first timers--- when I was expecting my DD, my BFF was a LLL leader and she educated me... and brought me to her meetings with her. I then, thinking I knew it all (HAHA), said I would BF my DD for 12 months and wean her and get my body back, and be able to drink again ... WELL... as soon as she was born, I knew I would BF her til she told me she was done... and my joke now is she'll be done by the time she goes away to college and then I say I'll pump and send her care packages. Obviously joking... but it is the best thing in the world. I think BFing til 2 yrs old minimum is best... there are sooooo many reasons to do extending nursing... for mom and baby. Anyone interested... I'm here
July 23rd, 2012, 04:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I ff both my kids and like others shortly before/after they turned one we switched to cows milk...

Although I'm not 100% sure what I'm doing this time around, if I bf I will only be doing so for the first three months... I just don't want to once I go back to work. Most people I know bf for the first year or two, but some stopped earlier for medical reasons.

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

July 23rd, 2012, 04:52 PM
Veteran
What does LLL stand for

July 23rd, 2012, 05:33 PM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BluEeyes View Post
What does LLL stand for
La Leche League. A worldwide breastfeeding support group. Check out the main website... and see if your areas have support groups in your town(s).
LLLI | Home

Anyone who has questions--- feel free to PM me anytime.
July 24th, 2012, 07:13 AM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Anna* View Post
I'm a LLL Leader... and I recommend everyone planning to BF, (or unsure even) to seek out your local LLL group... and attend a couple meetings at least before you deliver... its very very important I think to see other moms BF, hear stories, challenges, successes... etc. I still BF my 3 yr old DD, and love it so much and plan to tandem when new baby is here

also--- for first timers--- when I was expecting my DD, my BFF was a LLL leader and she educated me... and brought me to her meetings with her. I then, thinking I knew it all (HAHA), said I would BF my DD for 12 months and wean her and get my body back, and be able to drink again ... WELL... as soon as she was born, I knew I would BF her til she told me she was done... and my joke now is she'll be done by the time she goes away to college and then I say I'll pump and send her care packages. Obviously joking... but it is the best thing in the world. I think BFing til 2 yrs old minimum is best... there are sooooo many reasons to do extending nursing... for mom and baby. Anyone interested... I'm here
What she said!!!! BF gets soooo much easier after a year too. I haven't had issues with engorgement or anything like that after I stopped pumping. TONS of reasons to keep nursing after a year, not only nutritional, but emotional. And hello... if it weren't for nursing, I don't know how I would have made it through all these teeth!!!

I honestly can't give advice on formula as I have never needed to use it....
*Izzy's*Mommy* likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search