I have to throw my friend a baby shower! HELP!!!!!!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By turtlefly
  • 1 Post By NewGurl

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 23rd, 2012, 02:26 PM
Derby Girl's Avatar Veteran
I've never thrown a baby shower and I've rarely gone to any. I don't even remember my own, which was 10 years ago. Her friends bailed out on her and she's due September 26. Her original shower date was going to be September 1, but that's a holiday weekend. Her mom lives out of town which is why she was having it so late. She's trying to find out if her mom can come out sooner, so obviously I don't have much time.

My friend wants a co-ed BBQ type shower. What are your recommendations? Should there still be games? Party favors? I have no idea what to do!?!

P.S. She loves Mickey Mouse, but not Minnie. I'm thinking that's the perfect theme, but all I can find are the baby mickey shower items. I'm looking for the red/black/white mickey type decorations!

Last edited by Derby Girl; July 23rd, 2012 at 02:48 PM.
July 23rd, 2012, 02:44 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
A few years ago I was in a similar situation. My friends friend backed out of throwing the shower. So, I did it. I had never been to or planned a shower (still haven't been to another shower). I got nice, but cheap decorations at the dollar store, Michaels and AC Moore. We didn't do any games. I did make favors, I bought little bags and put "It's a girl" mints in them (I found that stuff fairly cheap at AC Moore). We had food, cake, hung out and opened gifts. Thats about it. It was actually really nice and simple. Some people do the belly measuring game (the guest cutting TP or ribbon or something to the size the think mom's belly is. Whoever is closest wins). I'm sure what other games people play.

A think a co-ed BBQ type shower would be fun. Games can be fun to pass the time, but probably not necessary. I like the idea of favors, I like for people to have something to take home with them.

I don't have a lot of experience with this, so I don't know if I'm much help. lol.

July 23rd, 2012, 02:53 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I like the bbq idea, I don't think games are necessary, but they can be fun. I threw my sil shower and for favors we gave out hershey bars that we rewrapped w/ a blue wrapper that said here he is. At my baby shower my Grandma made a bunch of plastic canvas booties that were filled w/ candy. I threw my sil's shower for about $100 but I made almost all the food myself.

July 23rd, 2012, 03:19 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
I think that's awesome you are doing this for her!! I had the same thing happen to me and it's so awful

We are doing a co-ed shower bbq this time as well. We aren't really going to do games, but I do think this one is kinda fun (for the guys). Put beer in a baby bottle and whoever chugs it the fastest wins We are also thinking of renting a bounce house for all the kids. We just want it to be fun and low key

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

July 23rd, 2012, 03:21 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
that's the type of shower i want, the co-ed bbq pool party, i would want some type of games, but like summer games balloon toss with the red black and white balloons
or eat like a pregnant person pie eating contest... a guessing game like guess what the baby ate and have a melted candy bar in a diaper.. that was my favorite, and for favors get white black and red boxes and put mickey stickers on them with candy. i hope this helps
Derby Girl likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 03:39 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Its a BBQ Have food, Have drinks, A themed Cake or dessert of some kind, Decorate a little gift table, maybe throw up a banner or some balloons if you wanna get fancy. but the main part is about food and company. you could have some little games or something but if you do I definitely wouldn't force ppl to circle up and participate let it be a join if you want laugh at us if you dont kinda thing. I guess you could do little party Baggies if you really wanted to but its not really a traditional shower anyway. I dont know your friends friends but if anyone gets offended they didnt get sent home from a cookout with a grab bag there a little wonky in my book to start with. mostly just have food lots and lots of delicious food with a few tables of food and some sides of food mmmmmmmmmnnnnnnn (srry got a little side tracked there).
Derby Girl likes this.

July 23rd, 2012, 03:49 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
i think someones hungry

July 23rd, 2012, 05:22 PM
kristiemarie518's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Personally, if its co-Ed id skip the games. Most guys aren't going to get into shower games. I'd stick to making it a party, plain and simple, with the theme being baby!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search