Exclusively Pumping Mamas: Buy or Rent?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 12:14 AM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I talk talking with my step-mom tonight who's a post-partum RN. We were talking about all the different things about pregnancy and newborns. I brought up that I was planning to exclusively pump and that I had registered for a Medela breast pump. She recommended that I take it off my registry, and rent a hospital grade pump for 6 months. She said it'll be way better than one I can buy at the store, and it'll be cheaper in the long run.

Any mamas out there gone this route? Or planning on this? Would you advise the same? Or do you think its better to buy?

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 24th, 2012, 06:10 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I bought my own Medela (actually I have 2) from Babies R Us with a 20% off coupon. The store Medela worked good for me, but I've never used a hospital grade pump to compare it to. I pumped for a year though and at the rates they charge for renting (I've seen anywhere from $65 to $85 a month), I could have bought a few more back-up pumps.

July 24th, 2012, 07:49 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have used both. I did not exclusively pump, but I went back to work at 5 weeks, and my son nursed for 2.5 years, so - I've pumped A LOT. The difference between the hospital-grade pump (assuming we are talking Medela Symphony) and the store-bought pump (such as Pump in Style) are the suction settings, and the strength of the suction.

The Symphony has a "let down" simulator that does light, shallow suction which is supposed to help stimulate the milk let down. Then you can put it on mega-vacuum suck to completely empty your breast. It lets you adjust both the suction rate and strength.

The Pump-in-Style is similar, but it does not have the let-down simulator, and the highest level of suction is less than the Symphony. It is also louder.

I always always always had an oversupply, so I found that really did not need the Symphony to pump enough milk for my son. I had a big freezer stash that I pumped entirely with my Pump in Style.

If you are going to pump exclusively, you will probably need a portable pump at some point, so I would recommend getting a Pump in Style (or equivalent) to start, and seeing how you are able to do with that. If you have trouble with supply, then you can rent a hospital pump.
fireflyluna13 and LiamsMother like this.

baby Roger @ 7 months

July 24th, 2012, 08:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I have not pumped before but i am going to try this time.... I am going to rent for a few months to get things established and then if i stick with it i'll buy one

July 24th, 2012, 08:41 AM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I bought a pump with my first 6 years ago (Medela PIS) and used it a ton between both kids. It still works and I will be using it again for this baby. I think it makes more sense financially to buy one.
fireflyluna13 likes this.
July 24th, 2012, 08:46 AM
whitehouse's Avatar My name is Kelli :)
I also just bought my own Medela (PIS) and loved it. Well, actually, I had a deep deep hatred for it but it did its job I pumped exclusively for three months before going back to BFing.
3kids3cats likes this.

.fearfully and wonderfully made.
eli grey // jude lawrence
forever loving Finley
July 24th, 2012, 10:50 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I had a love/hate relationship with mine too Kelli!

I'm confused about the let down simulator though. Both of my Pump in Style pumps do that too? They automatically do the let down cycle for about 2 minutes before switching over to the pump cycle? Did the older Pump in Styles not do that?

July 24th, 2012, 11:12 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the cheaper to rent thing has to do with your insurance provider Some insurances have special pregnancy and early development programs you can enroll in that provide pump rental, parenting classes, even baby firstaid kits. Otherwise I dont see the price savings I have heard they are much better quality so maybe for exclusive pumping it would still be worth it I dont know iv never used either.

July 24th, 2012, 11:25 AM
Interesting responses... thanks girls!

I did a little research last night, and to rent a pump for 6 months its about $220 if you prepay it. I'll need to do some more reading on whats available to buy verses renting.

July 24th, 2012, 11:28 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
I had a love/hate relationship with mine too Kelli!

I'm confused about the let down simulator though. Both of my Pump in Style pumps do that too? They automatically do the let down cycle for about 2 minutes before switching over to the pump cycle? Did the older Pump in Styles not do that?
that's quite possible, mine was an older one.

baby Roger @ 7 months

July 24th, 2012, 12:01 PM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
Rachel, check with your insurance... My insurance reimburses me 100 bucks for buying a pump. I am on team "just buy it" even without a reimbursement. I love my Medela PIS. Still going strong after both my kids and a friend's!
3kids3cats likes this.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
July 24th, 2012, 01:11 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
I'm just reiterating what Selena wrote about checking with your insurance. Some offer partial coverage and some offer full when you purchase one. If not, comparing the rental cost versus the pump cost is smart, too.

I purchased my PIS after using the hospital pump for the two days after delivery. It served my quite well for 21 months.

July 24th, 2012, 09:05 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I don't know if you qualify for WIC but got mine through then after I had Beth. I wasn't working then and dh had a different job. I had to breastfeed for a month, be returning to work or school, and use minimum formula and then they gave me a free medela breast pump, I think it was a pump in style. It is a double pump and has the let down function. Worked great and would for sure be worth buying if you plan on pumping a lot. I never bought one before because I stayed home and never needed to be serious about pumping so I didn't want to fork out the money for something I wouldn't use much. I had some cheap electric pumps over the years and they did fine for what I needed but the medela is way better and worth the money!
July 24th, 2012, 09:12 PM
baby wishing's Avatar Expecting #1!
I third the checking your insurance! Mine is covering my pump at 90%. Love it.
July 24th, 2012, 09:14 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have used both the hospital grade and the pump in style and I would just go ahead & buy the pump in style. When I was a pumping newbie, I made the mistake of thinking that if I used high settings, I would produce more milk but all that did was leave me with damaged/bloody nipples.
I pumped exclusively for a couple of months and it was hellish. I'm sure you have your reasons, but if there was any way you could breastfeed instead, I would definitely go that route!
Pumping sucks...especially when your baby needs you at the same time. I just hated pumping but did it because my baby had severe feeding issues & refused to breastfeed.
After a couple of months, I thought I was going to lose my mind.
Not that breastfeeding is a walk in the park...I'm not a fan of breastfeeding either, but it beats pumping.
Good luck!

July 24th, 2012, 09:29 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I would buy a Medela pump in style. It will be cheaper if you use it for the first year, and it can be used with all your other babes when they come!
July 24th, 2012, 09:31 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3kids3cats View Post
I have used both the hospital grade and the pump in style and I would just go ahead & buy the pump in style. When I was a pumping newbie, I made the mistake of thinking that if I used high settings, I would produce more milk but all that did was leave me with damaged/bloody nipples.
I pumped exclusively for a couple of months and it was hellish. I'm sure you have your reasons, but if there was any way you could breastfeed instead, I would definitely go that route!
Pumping sucks...especially when your baby needs you at the same time. I just hated pumping but did it because my baby had severe feeding issues & refused to breastfeed.
After a couple of months, I thought I was going to lose my mind.
Not that breastfeeding is a walk in the park...I'm not a fan of breastfeeding either, but it beats pumping.
Good luck!
Thanks I've seen a lot of good reviews for the Pump in Style, but none of them were from exclusively pumping mamas, and that makes me a little nervous. When I was talking with my step-mom, she was saying awful things about the PIS and exclusive pumping, which is what got me thinking about things in the first place. But, it seems that Medela may have improved the pump in the last 8 years. And I'm choosing not to breastfeed for personal reasons. I'd just formula feed, but I would really like give my baby some of the benefits of breast milk without having to actually breast feed.

July 24th, 2012, 09:36 PM
I was also going to ask why you aren't being - sooo much easier. But if you are set on pumping, I would definitely look at the PIS - I've known several moms who have exclusively pumped and had success with it!
July 24th, 2012, 09:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by meddleman View Post
I was also going to ask why you aren't being - sooo much easier. But if you are set on pumping, I would definitely look at the PIS - I've known several moms who have exclusively pumped and had success with it!
Thanks Magda! That makes me feel a little more secure in buying a pump And I'd go into my reasoning behind it, but I don't want to stir up trouble or have people start jumping all over me. So I'll just leave it as a personal choice

July 24th, 2012, 09:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rachkel View Post
Thanks Magda! That makes me feel a little more secure in buying a pump And I'd go into my reasoning behind it, but I don't want to stir up trouble or have people start jumping all over me. So I'll just leave it as a personal choice
I don't think you can go wrong with the PIS. And no worries, no need to explain!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search