I hate the guilt

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By fireflyluna13
  • 1 Post By LetGo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 24th, 2012, 11:36 AM
SarahxSyanide's Avatar Super Mommy
That I have because I can't exercise properly. & I hate it when people get on my case for it. Especially my mother. In December I was in a car accident leaving me with 2 broken hips and immobile for 3 months. I was bed ridden. It's a years recovery time. I had gained weight from being in bed and not moving for so long. I can't really walk around outside because the uneven ground hurts my hips and back. We usually go out on the weekends, and I do a ton of walking then, but not without consequences. My back aches, my hips hurts, and my abdomen hurts from the baby not being supported well.

I just feel horrible and guilty. I hate the people who try to push me to do the things I can't do no matter how many times I tell them I can't.

I hate reading all the baby e-mails i signed up for telling me i need to do this and that to stay fit and lose the baby weight. What to do to prevent it blah blah blah. The fact is i'm hungry all the time, so I eat. -sigh-
I guess I'm just ranting and needed a place to do that where I truly wouldn't be judged.
~Genevieve Violet Born October 31st at 10:42pm 10lbs 1oz 22inches.~
Breastfeeding for 5 months!
]
July 24th, 2012, 11:42 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
Sarah, I don't have the injuries you had and can't seem to exercise either so don't feel bad! (((hugs)))
SarahxSyanide likes this.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
July 24th, 2012, 11:48 AM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Have you talked with your doctor about what kinds of exercises you can be doing? As well as what kind of pain level is acceptable?

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 24th, 2012, 12:02 PM
Well, my ob has no idea what to do with my hip. haha, she's not a bone doctor. My bone doctor I only see a few times a year. I won't be seeing him until the baby is born. I will talk to my OB about what pain lvl is tolerable. I just feel like 'i'm the different one' So I don't really have the same outline to follow. :/
]
July 24th, 2012, 12:10 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahxSyanide View Post
Well, my ob has no idea what to do with my hip. haha, she's not a bone doctor. My bone doctor I only see a few times a year. I won't be seeing him until the baby is born. I will talk to my OB about what pain lvl is tolerable. I just feel like 'i'm the different one' So I don't really have the same outline to follow. :/
I wasn't talking about the OB. Did you go thru any kind of physical therapy after the accident? If so, you can do the same exercises that they did with you to help. From what it sounds like, you either didn't finish your PT or you didn't do it at all. Working to come back from an injury, especially broken bones, is painful. But, you have to work thru it. Thats why I asked what your doctor (not OB, but your orthopedist or physical therapist) told you about exercise and pain level. They typically don't just send you on your way after an injury and leave you to figure things out yourself.

I've broken a ton of bones, and had even more sprains/strains/bone bruises. Some days my hips ache, or my back kills me. And sometimes when I work out, life sucks. But, in order to retrain my body and muscles, its a necessary evil. If you don't know what exercise level you should be at, or what kind of pain level you should be tolerating, I'd call the orthopedist and ask. With pregnancy you need to keep it low impact, and I think that your ortho would agree with your injuries.

July 24th, 2012, 12:41 PM
I'm recovering fine from my injuries. My doctor is very impressed with how far I've come along. I fractured both my acetabulars so it is a very long recovery time. Any PT from this point on will only effect small things such as a tightening feeling I get sometimes. I've had this conversation with my ortho at my last check up. I do walk, but I don't go around the block.

I would love to go to the gym and use the machines that are safe for me to use. That's what I guess I'm really complaining about, is the fact that I can't do that right now.
]
July 24th, 2012, 01:02 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahxSyanide View Post
I'm recovering fine from my injuries. My doctor is very impressed with how far I've come along. I fractured both my acetabulars so it is a very long recovery time. Any PT from this point on will only effect small things such as a tightening feeling I get sometimes. I've had this conversation with my ortho at my last check up. I do walk, but I don't go around the block.

I would love to go to the gym and use the machines that are safe for me to use. That's what I guess I'm really complaining about, is the fact that I can't do that right now.
That all sounds strange to me... I'm not an orthopedist or anything, but it seems very strange that they don't think PT will do anything for you. I can understand that its a long recovery, but in most practices, physical therapy as soon as possible is the standard of care. Maybe you should look into switching orthos.

Anyway, I'm including a link to a video for a workout program that I think would be good for you. Its very low impact and easy on the body. Its not rigorous or cardio based, but it'd be good for someone in your position.

http://beachbodycoach.com/esuite/hom...=1513855864001

July 24th, 2012, 01:05 PM
They're not saying to never get it. I'm saying at this point in my recovery it wouldn't do what it would have if I had gone in the start. There were circumstances that kept me from going in the start.

Basically, I shouldn't expect to get the same results now as I would have before. It's very hard to relay a conversation I had months ago.

I will check out the video!! Thank you!
]
July 24th, 2012, 01:16 PM
Veteran
Have you thought about water aerobics? I'm doing 2 classes a week at the community center with a bunch of old ladies, lol. For me, it's better than sitting at home since there's no way I'm getting out & walking in this heat! Water aerobics, yoga & long walks when possible are my fitness routine. I can feel it when I haven't done yoga in a few weeks-maybe a gentle yoga class could help you?
SarahxSyanide likes this.
July 24th, 2012, 03:11 PM
I was thinking about water aerobics!!! I just don't know if I can afford it, or even how to start. I can not do any sort of yoga or anything with twisting or weight bearing like that. I was told not to by my ortho. I can't bend really or twist haha. I love being in the water though! I go swimming on the weekends when I get the chance.
]

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search