Bringing your newborn to the chiropractor?!?!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree7Likes
  • 2 Post By MoonMom
  • 1 Post By LoveBeingMrsA
  • 1 Post By meddleman
  • 1 Post By Mommyx12
  • 2 Post By LucilleTwo

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 25th, 2012, 04:11 PM
SarahxSyanide's Avatar Super Mommy
A highschool classmate of mine just had her baby less than a month ago. She's having problems with the child as she is colic and will not sleep at night. So her friends suggested a chiropractor for her!! I don't think I would bring a newborn to get her spin cracked!! It scares me to think about!
~Genevieve Violet Born October 31st at 10:42pm 10lbs 1oz 22inches.~
Breastfeeding for 5 months!
]
July 25th, 2012, 04:23 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I just saw an article about this today. It was about how the way we typically hold a baby during diaper changes compresses a spinal nerve that leads to the intestines, causing pain (ie colic). I used to be a pretty big skeptic about chiropractic care, and I do think some chiropractors are too heavy on the "woo," but I've been seeing one this pregnancy and he's really helped me. When it comes down to it, sometimes things are just not aligned right and an adjustment can offer real relief.
Cocoa Sashimi and meddleman like this.

baby Roger @ 7 months

July 25th, 2012, 04:26 PM
Veteran
My brother-in-law is a chiropractor & I plan on taking baby there early on for adjustments. He has adjusted my niece her entire life (she's 3 years) & I swear that's one of the healthiest kids I know. I know it sounds scary & I know some chiropractors are rougher than others, but thankfully, my BIL is awesome at his job!
meddleman likes this.
July 25th, 2012, 04:29 PM
turtlefly's Avatar Veteran
idk the thought scares me, i cringe when my hubby gets his back cracked, i couldn't imagine my little baby getting that done

July 25th, 2012, 04:41 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I took Mia when she was a newborn. She refused to nurse on one side in a particular position, and found out it was because it hurt her to turn her head that way. 3 visits and she was fine! Its common after the trauma of traveling through the birth canal. They don't "crack their spine" and they are very gentle. I have friends who take their kids every other week who have never been sick. It's actually really good for them. Our chiro has 6 year old twins and has been adjusting his kids since they were born, too. I'd take mine more often if my insurance covered it

edit: and it IS supposed to be really good for colicky babies!
July 25th, 2012, 04:46 PM
SarahxSyanide's Avatar Super Mommy
I guess I would need to read up on it before I decided to go. That's a lot of trust in someone. I feel like babies are just so fragile, especially with this.
~Genevieve Violet Born October 31st at 10:42pm 10lbs 1oz 22inches.~
Breastfeeding for 5 months!
]
July 25th, 2012, 04:49 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Babies are far less fragile than you think Their bones/joints etc stay soft for a while to allow for growth and all the developmental things like rolling over, etc.
kristiemarie518 likes this.
July 25th, 2012, 04:57 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Quote:
Originally Posted by SarahxSyanide View Post
A highschool classmate of mine just had her baby less than a month ago. She's having problems with the child as she is colic and will not sleep at night. So her friends suggested a chiropractor for her!! I don't think I would bring a newborn to get her spin cracked!! It scares me to think about!
Just popping in from the Dec DDC.
I think alot of people assume all chiros agressively crack joints back into place. However there are many different techniques a chiro can utilize to make even the littlest adjustments.
That "crack" you hear, is the release of synovial gas. Its not the joint actually moving back into place.

30% to 50% of the time, no "crack" can be heard, but the adjustment has been made.

Doing your research to find a chiro is the most important thing when looking for one to work on a baby.

Make sure they have education and experiance in infant adjustments.

I have no doubt, that in some cases, chiros can make huge differences in babies (and mommies).
I once had my old chiro adjust my friends stomach, and it provided immediate relief of her heart burn, that lasted quite awhile... it was neat.

I see mine regularly, and am even having specific adjustments for pregnancy, as well as my normal adjustments. LOVE IT!

July 25th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am thinking about it. If I can find one that is experienced in working with kids that takes my insurance, I probably will.
meddleman likes this.
July 25th, 2012, 05:19 PM
LucilleTwo's Avatar Andrea, mama to L & E
I will absolutely be taking this baby to my chiro. My DD has had many problems related to her birth, one of them being gross motor delays. I started taking her to the chiro at about 2 1/2 and she turned into a different kid. She wasn't able to stand up straight before and the range of motion in her neck was poor. I had been bringing her to the doctor starting at 3 months because I knew she had torticollis/plagiocephaly and they kept saying it wasn't that bad and she would grow out of it. After taking her to the chiro she caught up pretty quick on her gross motor skills. I wish I would have known about taking her when she was a baby but I was ignorant to how a chiro could help her.

Anyway, baby/child manipulation is VERY different from adult adjustments. You can't even compare the two.
MoonMom and SarahxSyanide like this.

July 25th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I actually took Max when he was a baby. Not to a chiropractor; but to a woman my mom see's. Im not sure what her official title is (I call her the witch dr. ) Max was spitting up all the time. She felt his belly and told me his liver wasn't dumping properly and she gently pushed on 2 spots on his belly. He never spit up again. I was in shock it worked.

So yes, if need be I would consider the help of a Chiro.

July 25th, 2012, 10:02 PM
Platinum Supermommy
i have a few friends who have taken their newborns.

I've never been to a chiropracter so my kids/babies haven't/won't go.
July 26th, 2012, 08:51 AM
Veteran
A GOOD chiropractor adjusts your back rather than "cracking" it. The difference they can make is amazing. If I could afford it I would be seeing mine on a regular basis and would take my infant there in a heart beat.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search