Traveling PG?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By white.house

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
Are you guys on restrictions?

As we approach the end of the second trimester, I'm wondering what the restrictions are. My doctor didn't say anything specifically. But this weekend I'm traveling alone back to IL to visit my parents and its a 2.5hr drive. Early on it wasn't really an issue other than the occasional stop to pee.

This time, I'm wondering if my butt will fall asleep or my back will start to hurt. I'll definitely have to potty before I leave to beat the urgency to go halfway.

Also, I'll be traveling back for my baby shower in Sept....then I'll be 31 weeks :S

Any one else traveling late in the pregnancy? What has been the BTDT moms experience?
July 26th, 2012, 06:12 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I'm not comfortable traveling... once i was beyond about 16 weeks, but i have an extreme situation. I also have to go to the Dr. every week so i can't really go for a long trip anyway and weekend trips are just too mch work for not enough time for me, lol.

Anyway though, if you're having a healthy pregnancy i dont see any reason why traveling up until the last few weeks would be an issue. My sister traveled from Chicago to colorado when she was about 36 weeks and she was fine

July 26th, 2012, 06:29 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
We have been traveling about every other weekend this whole summer, sometimes even more (one time 5 weekends in a row ). In fact, we are going out of town this weekend and were also out of town last weekend. Our trips are 2.5-3.5 hours (visiting family). I'm not concerned about it

When I was pregnant with Eli we had to move 8 hours away at 20 weeks and we had to move again 3 hours away at 28 weeks. My OBs have always told me just to make sure I reposition tons, don't lock your legs up, and if you get uncomfortable don't be afraid to take pit stops.

I've never had any problems or thought it was a big deal at all HTH!
Hopolka likes this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
July 26th, 2012, 06:53 AM
Irene.C's Avatar Veteran
There are flying restrictions after 34 weeks and I have read you should be in a car more than 5 hours a day. I am about to go a trip through spain and france that involves taking trains almost everyday a little nervous about it mainly that I will be super uncomfortable and tired.

July 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM
LindsayGriff
I am flying to oregon in 2 1/2 wks, will be just over 27wks at that time. Really not concerned, will just make sure I get up and walk around a little on the plane to prevent blood clots, will also be wearing my compression stockings which prevent blood clots also because they don't allow blood to pool in your legs. I traveled flew to DC when I was 25 wks pregnant last time and everything was fine.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
July 26th, 2012, 07:02 AM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
I get uncomfortably in the car, so I havent traveled much. Last trip was 2 hrs and 45 mins away. I have been told not to travel after 26 wks since i had pre-term labor with my daughter.
July 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
With Mia, I traveled 3 hours away at 35 weeks and with E I traveled when I was 30 weeks over 7 hours (NC to WV). Just make sure you take breaks to walk around for the circulation and listen to your body This time, I'm not doing much traveling. I'm just more uncomfortable and with my girls being in school, it makes it harder.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

July 26th, 2012, 07:05 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't like to travel after 34 weeks, but that's because of my pre-e history. Plus it's just uncomfortable. But this time I might have to break that because of SILs baby shower, she's due in January so I'm assuming her baby shower will be in november, its three hours away. If I'm still pregnant we will probably try to go and come back the same day.

July 26th, 2012, 07:24 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With DS we did a road trip from CA to AZ when I was about 20 weeks, it was very uncomfortable to be in the car for long periods of time! My hips would get very achy. I would advise you to take lots of breaks and bring a couple pillows in the car so you can reposition your legs and back frequently. 2.5 hours isn't too bad.

I'm going on a trip to Boston (via plane) for work at 28 weeks. As far as actual restrictions, my doc said no travel after 34 weeks. Honestly I'm not excited about the 28 week trip, so it won't take much convincing to get me to stay put!

baby Roger @ 7 months

July 26th, 2012, 08:59 AM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ditto everyone else; you should be fine.

We travel by car often. We recently did AZ to Cali, about a 6hr trip. We have a cabin in the mountains about 3 or so hours away and we go there every couple of weeks. The only differences I notice are my butt does start to go a little numb if I dont move around often and my hips sort of start to ache. Also the obvious needing to pee more.

Have a fun, safe trip.

July 26th, 2012, 09:34 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I am going to be high risk for premature labour as of 32 weeks, and my Dr has cleared me to fly next week. He said its fine as long as I move around a lot. I have always travelled whilst pregnant and haven´t really thought about it that much.

With DD2 my FIL had a heart attack when I was 2 days off 36 weeks, so we had to rush in the car 3 hours away to see him in the Intensive care. I broke waters the minute I got out of the car, but the Drs say it was totally unrelated. So she was born that morning!

July 26th, 2012, 09:48 AM
Veteran
We just got back from a road trip of about 14 hours over 6 days, the longest stretches being about 5 hours. I wan't too uncomfortable but I don't think I will be traveling that much going forward. It's just annoying to be uncomfortable and stop a lot to go to the bathroom.
July 26th, 2012, 09:51 AM
Hopolka's Avatar Wife, Mom of 1, Expecting
Thanks for the feedback everyone! I'm glad I'm doing the baby shower @ 31 weeks then and not after 34. Just to be safe since its my first. But everythings healthy here so maybe DH and I will even take a camping trip soon...if the temps ever drop some
July 26th, 2012, 10:15 AM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
when I made my drive here to NC, which was 22 hours, we did it w/o stopping for the night, the Dr told me I should stop at least every 4 hours to walk around and to wiggle my toes to help with circulation. I had to stop about every 3 hours anyway to pee.. I would also suggest taking pillows.. I used them for my back and even as arm rests lol I'd also take tylenol to help with achy muscles.. when I finally got here tho.. my feet swelled up SOOOO bad!! I felt like I had elephant feet!! My feet had yet to swell at all, and this was BAD!!!!!! I could feel my feet jiggle when I walked! lol

<3
July 26th, 2012, 11:08 AM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
We did the 18 hour trip to Fl when I was 16 weeks. We literally stopped at ever rest area. That long trip became uncomfortable for me, my back and legs were killing me. I also do the 1.5 hour drive to and from Pa every week. I figured I would cont to travel till I have one month left. I don't want to be far from a Hosp that last month.
July 26th, 2012, 11:43 AM
~l~
I am allowed to travel up to 36 weeks, but after that my insurance threatens not to pay for the birth if I am more than 1 or 2 hours from (can't remember exactly how many). They actually made me sign paperwork telling me this at my first appointment. I think it's lame.
July 26th, 2012, 07:18 PM
Veteran
Just moved from Fort Lauderdale to Nashville TN. It was like 14 hours? We did it over 4 days. Now Im seeing a Dr 2 hours away. He wasnt concerned. I drove the 2 hours yesterday and didnt stop. I was super sore. Next time I will stop half way and walk around.

July 26th, 2012, 10:53 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
My OB told me she cuts off travel at 32 weeks. I was supposed to go to Alaska to be with DH for the last 10 days he's there. But, I'd leave when I was 31.5 weeks along, and be back around 33 weeks. Doc wasn't having that...

Two weeks ago I took a trip to Washington and it was fine. The only thing that bothered me was running thru the airports to catch my connecting flights with my luggage on my back. I was achy and sore for days...

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search