kick counting

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 1 Post By Lav
  • 1 Post By ~*rach*~
  • 1 Post By Lav
  • 1 Post By Lav

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 05:37 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I've reached my third trimester yesterday

So now I'm starting kick counting. I started yesterday. I know you should count around the same time every day and when baby is most active. Savina is most active between 9pm and 11pm. But yesterday she was more active around 8pm than 9pm.
So I increased my range to between 8pm and 11pm.

My question is, how do I know when to start counting? With what kick to start counting? Should I first wait a little and see how active she is, and then start counting?

And is it okay to range within 3 hours?
bryan and nina likes this.

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
July 26th, 2012, 06:05 AM
CrunchyChristian
I have to admit I never kick count. I guess I've always just kind of known my kids' patterns of movements and it they seem normal, then they're fine. I do know that sometimes my kids just weren't active at a particular time that they usually were, but they had been moving around fine and I knew all was okay. If I had done the kick counting I would have scared myself into thinking something wasn't right.

The only times I do it is when I think there is something "off". Then I drink a big glass of orange juice and lay down and wait for baby to move (just did this the other day because she was quiet) and all turned out fine.

Good luck!
July 26th, 2012, 06:54 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristian View Post
I have to admit I never kick count. I guess I've always just kind of known my kids' patterns of movements and it they seem normal, then they're fine. I do know that sometimes my kids just weren't active at a particular time that they usually were, but they had been moving around fine and I knew all was okay. If I had done the kick counting I would have scared myself into thinking something wasn't right.

The only times I do it is when I think there is something "off". Then I drink a big glass of orange juice and lay down and wait for baby to move (just did this the other day because she was quiet) and all turned out fine.

Good luck!

I am the same way! I don't do them I notice movement throughout the day as well. Our second one is very lucky to be here because she was tangled up several times and had a true knot in her cord. She had not pulled it tight to cut off her supply, but they said it could have happened any day. This time around I am a nervous wreak about it, but he moves A LOT. And if I don't feel him for a while I do some sugar as well and that gets him going!
CrunchyChristian likes this.

July 26th, 2012, 07:03 AM
CrunchyChristian
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~*rach*~ View Post
Our second one is very lucky to be here because she was tangled up several times and had a true knot in her cord. She had not pulled it tight to cut off her supply, but they said it could have happened any day.
How scary! That would make me so nervous this time around too!!!
July 26th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I feel our girl move a lot, too. I'm mostly doing it for fun with this cute chart I found online, but I still want to do it right^^

my little love bug Savina Celestiale arrived 10/16/12 measuring 6lb 5oz, 20 inches
July 26th, 2012, 07:26 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to momopotamus Send a message via MSN to momopotamus
If I remember correctly, you pick a one hour time span, and count 5-10 movements and you're done. Occasionally if I dont feel her much, or at her usual times, I will drink something and lay down to count. Or I'll just do it randomly throughout the day. It usually doesn't take long to get to 10 during her active times.

TTC #4 since 9/2013 150mg Clomid BFP 5/22/14! Stick Bean Stick!
We have a heartbeat :-) EDD 1/30/15! It's A Girl! SHE'S HERE! Lillian Emma Born 1/9/15 @37wks 6lbs 8oz

July 26th, 2012, 08:08 AM
CrunchyChristian
Can I ask what chart you're using? That might be fun to do!
July 26th, 2012, 08:53 AM
Mega Super Mommy
it was originally for some research, I believe in Norway:

http://www.biomedcentral.com/content...93-9-32-s2.pdf

Thank you, Jessica.

July 26th, 2012, 09:25 AM
Super Mommy
I don't count kicks. I am a non-worrier in general, and I think it would just feed some unnecessary anxiety for me. I am aware of movements throughout the day - if I felt something was "different" i'd do a count, but daily it isn't necessary.

If you are counting, pick a two hour time frame in the evening, after dinner. Normal would be 6 distinct movements in that time frame. Movements that occur within 1-2 minutes of each other should be considered "one" movement cluster, so essentially you are counting six clusters of movements or six individual movements so long as they are separated by more than a few minutes each.
July 26th, 2012, 10:54 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrunchyChristian View Post
Can I ask what chart you're using? That might be fun to do!
and then there is this cute one: http://health.utah.gov/mihp/pregnanc...kickcounts.PDF

Quote:
Originally Posted by ride-through View Post
I don't count kicks. I am a non-worrier in general, and I think it would just feed some unnecessary anxiety for me. I am aware of movements throughout the day - if I felt something was "different" i'd do a count, but daily it isn't necessary.

If you are counting, pick a two hour time frame in the evening, after dinner. Normal would be 6 distinct movements in that time frame. Movements that occur within 1-2 minutes of each other should be considered "one" movement cluster, so essentially you are counting six clusters of movements or six individual movements so long as they are separated by more than a few minutes each.
haven't heard about the 1-2 minutes apart before, interesting.

Thanks.

July 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I didn't do kick counts with my son. I might do them this time around, because I feel kind of guilty I didn't do them last time. My doctor's instructions are to do them one or two hours after your evening meal, around the same time every day. You lay down on your left side and record for one hour or ten movements, whichever comes first. Hiccups don't count.

I haven't actually done it at all yet. I guess I'm satisfied as long as I'm feeling baby girl following her normal patterns.
July 26th, 2012, 11:55 AM
bryan and nina's Avatar Love being a mommy!
I've done it twice already. I have an app on my phone that has a kick counter (and a contraction counter!) and that's what I use. I'm only doing it maybe once a week cause I can see myself going crazy over it, if it isn't 100% fine one day.

July 26th, 2012, 04:23 PM
AltMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The last nurse I saw asked me to start doing it. Her instructions were...

After eating a meal (any one) Lay down on your left side and take note of how long it takes for you to start feeling movement. Then for the next hour mark how many times they kick.

I won't be doing it because some days he is a ninja in there and some days he is super calm. As long as I feel small nudges and a few kicks throughout the day I don't get worried. He doesn't seem to have a regular schedule. If it was a whole day without feeling him then I would go to L&D because I always feel him. At least a little.

July 26th, 2012, 04:56 PM
Summerdays12's Avatar Erin&Aaron's1st!
I did the kick count chart with my first pregnancy. I woas told to drink something very cold and lay down. I should feel 5-10 kicks and or movement within that hour. Now, the problem I had was baby did what she wanted to do! So, one time I called because it was less than 5 movements and I can't remember what it was. Doctor said well sometimes they just don't move until they want to. They are not always predictable. I won't ever do kicks counts again. Made me worry for absolutely no reason. But it would be kind of a neat keepsake to keep the charst and be able to show your child when they are older.

July 26th, 2012, 06:21 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summerdays12 View Post
But it would be kind of a neat keepsake to keep the charst and be able to show your child when they are older.
that's what I'm thinking

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryan and nina View Post
I've done it twice already. I have an app on my phone that has a kick counter (and a contraction counter!) and that's what I use. I'm only doing it maybe once a week cause I can see myself going crazy over it, if it isn't 100% fine one day.
contraction counter o.O fancy fancy

July 26th, 2012, 10:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I don't bother with kick counting, especially this time, because there is pretty much NEVER 5 minutes in the day without at least 5-10 movements. Craziness is going on in there!!
July 27th, 2012, 05:51 AM
bostoncreampie's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to bostoncreampie
I'm no help, I've never done kick counts. I just know my body and stay in tune with it.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search