Another OT--garage sales

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By Cocoa Sashimi

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 11:50 AM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I decided today that Im going to do my very first garage sale (or yard sale, I suppose). I have most of the stuff together that Id like to try to sell. I was planning on doing a set price for clothing (like 50 cents per item), and toys, etc. But I have a few things that I want to price individually, so plan to just put a sticker on them with the price.
Has anyone here done a garage/yard sale before that has any tips for me? Is my plan for pricing acceptable?
Or even ladies who like to go garage saling-anything specific you look for when you go?
Thanks!!

July 26th, 2012, 01:41 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
set priceing stuff is fine but if you have certain nicer items that are more expensive make sure there on a seperate table or something. like for toys we would do a 50 cent bin and a doller bin and then the bigger nicer toys would be laid out on a tarp with individual prices.

at lest once someone will switch tags on an item to make it much cheaper. or take the tag off a $20 item and say they pulled it out of the doller bin.

keep your cashbox somewhere seperate from the display tables and allways have someone watching it. if your doing 50 75 cent items you will need lots of quarters like an ungodlly amount. ppl will almost always pay in bills even if its a 25 cent item actually thats normally when they will pay with a $20.

be sure to make yourself a cooler of drinks and snacks dealing with ppl on an empty stomach takes yard saleing from pretty entertaining to I will shoot ppl in the face.

if you are selling clothing especially womens sizes someone will want to try it on whether or not you let them is up to you but if you do make sure the room you provide doesnt have valubales in it.

knick knack are worth more then actually usefull iteams in yard sale world idk why but ppl will fight each other over a precious moments doll while vacum cleaners and graphing calculators go to goodwill at the end of the day.

there are yardsale networks websites dedicated to yardsale mapping. see if you can find a local one to advertise on the ppl who come out will be much harder bargin pushers (50cents seems alittle steep for this what about 10 types) but there will be alot of them. also these are morning ppl they will be ready at 6 am they will try to pick while you are still setting up the tables so they can get the good stuff and they will straight up fight each other over a doily. its really entertaining concider recording it.

July 26th, 2012, 02:56 PM
Thanks!! I had actually planned on keeping the 50 cent toys in a bin together, and the other priced toys on a table. Same with clothes. We are mostly selling kids clothes and toys. The area we live the majority of families have at least 5 kids, up to 20!! So those families do a lot of garage saling. So I don't have much else to offer, but I'm hoping we still sell lots! Thanks for the cooler tip

July 26th, 2012, 04:40 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Be mentally prepared for those veteran garage sale shoppers who arrive right before the end of your last day. They will haggle you to death because they know your sale is nearing its end.

July 26th, 2012, 06:11 PM
Hahahaha!!! Thanks for that tip!! I've actually already started thinking of some type of "last day sale"!! I mean, seriously, where else can you buy a very gently used Gymboree shirt for 50 cents? But I guess that's not a good enough deal....

July 26th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Veteran
I always take anything out of the petty cash thats over 20 bucks in case it gets stolen. Also place baby clothes on a table and not on the ground. I hate to go to a yard sale and have to sit on the lawn cause my tummy is to big to bend over.

July 26th, 2012, 09:00 PM
Oh yes, we will have tables for most everything, but I was thinking some bins on the ground for toys (although having the toys out on tables makes them easier to see). Anyway, I've been concerned about the cash being stolen, so I'll be sure to take out what's not needed for change. Thanks!!

July 26th, 2012, 09:21 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Ade* View Post
I mean, seriously, where else can you buy a very gently used Gymboree shirt for 50 cents? But I guess that's not a good enough deal....
A last minute shopper was an absolute snot and asked, "If I don't buy it for your $.40 asking price, what will you do? It's the last day." My response was that anything not sold was being donated to AmVets and that the never used duffel bag was no longer for sale.
tinx likes this.

July 26th, 2012, 09:37 PM
LindsayGriff
Lots of people around here advertise on Craigslist and that gets good turnouts. They have a garage sale section on there. I have seen lots of people have their money in like a "fannypack" then it is on there all the time. They keep the bills in the larger pack in order so they can find them easy and then quarters in a smaller front zipper. Then no one can take it and they don't have to worry about leaving their table to help a customer with something.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
July 26th, 2012, 09:47 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
I was going to suggest wearing a half apron with pockets or something you can keep on you to put the money in. Good luck with your sale!! I'd have a price list with the itemized prices and then a table for all of the higher priced items that are individually labeled. Oh and maybe your kids can have a bake sale or lemonade stand!!
July 26th, 2012, 09:57 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I agree with the ladies who said to have an apron or something to keep your cash on you.

We always get at least $150 in coins and small bills to start our sales with. You don't have to keep it all on you but you don't want to run out of change.

People will not only wait til the end of the day and try to talk you down on prices, but they will also show up the day before the sale hoping you will let them dig thru stuff as your getting it together. So if you don't want to deal with those people keep the garage closed or the stuff in the house during pricing.

We only price our big ticket items. Most people will just haggle anyway so we let them make offers on the things that we don't really care what we get. Some times you get more that way and you don't waste the time with signs and stickers.

July 27th, 2012, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone . I'm not a big garage saler, do I don't see how other people run theirs. So all your suggestions and tips are great and do helpful!

July 28th, 2012, 09:54 PM
Super Mommy
Good luck!
Rosalie Octavia, born on October 22nd and 9:35am, 7 pounds 2 ounces, 19 inches.
July 29th, 2012, 02:05 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My mom and I did a $400+ dollar 2 day sale back in June.

We made signs with clothing prices on them with an *unless otherwise marked* disclaimer... then only priced the items we wanted to get more out of. We kept all of those items separate, so it was easier to keep an eye on them.

It also helps, if possible, to have clothing on hangers. You'll be amazed at how much better clothes will sell when people don't have to dig through them.

Advertise on Craigs List, your local paper, and even FB if you have a lot of local friends ( I asked some of my friends to post my sale on their wall, and have several people show up just from their wall posts!) Be sure to mention any big ticket items in your add to draw people in.

We had such a good sale on the first day, (and the 2nd day was crappy weather anyway) that we did a $1 per bag sale on day two... (again with an *except on this table* disclaimer ) just to get rid of stuff.

July 29th, 2012, 06:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mollymalone View Post
My mom and I did a $400+ dollar 2 day sale back in June.

We made signs with clothing prices on them with an *unless otherwise marked* disclaimer... then only priced the items we wanted to get more out of. We kept all of those items separate, so it was easier to keep an eye on them.

It also helps, if possible, to have clothing on hangers. You'll be amazed at how much better clothes will sell when people don't have to dig through them.

Advertise on Craigs List, your local paper, and even FB if you have a lot of local friends ( I asked some of my friends to post my sale on their wall, and have several people show up just from their wall posts!) Be sure to mention any big ticket items in your add to draw people in.

We had such a good sale on the first day, (and the 2nd day was crappy weather anyway) that we did a $1 per bag sale on day two... (again with an *except on this table* disclaimer ) just to get rid of stuff.
My husband and I decided to put the "otherwise marked" clothing on hangers. We have far too many Childrens clothes and not nearly enough hangers :/. But ideally, I would have loved to hang everything! We are still trying to decide how much to charge for full a bag, and will most likely only do it on the lady day.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search