Discharge vs Amniotic Fluid

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By .h00dihoo.this.
  • 1 Post By Leanne78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 26th, 2012, 07:55 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Ok... sorry if this is a strange question... but being a first timer, I don't know much of anything!

How do you tell the difference between normal vaginal discharge and amniotic fluid?

The reason I ask is because I've had a lot of watery discharge today. More than normal. So much so that its actually making my pants damp. I'm not concerned at all. I figure its just normal discharge for this stage in the pregnancy. But it got me thinking.... I really don't know how to tell the difference!

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 26th, 2012, 08:17 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I've heard that if you lay down for about 15 minutes and stand up, if it gushes it is fluid, if not it's just discharge. I hope it's not fluid!!
July 26th, 2012, 08:19 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
I can't recall as mine came out in a gush. However, I did find a link for you that might help.

July 26th, 2012, 08:23 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Yes the gushing thing is right, and I've heard amniotic fluid has a "sweet" sent.
July 26th, 2012, 11:01 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
the gushing isnt always right though, it depends how big the leak is.. it could be tinkling every now and then, and it could be gushes.. think like a pipe.. if you have a tiny leak, it could even drizzle out..

ive been experiencing this very water discharge? where ill be sitting or lying down, i get up and all of a sudden have this clear no smell to my acknowledge fluid run down my leg, feels as if i peed myself.. i mentioned it today but they didnt show concern really, or atleast i dont think.. but they SHOULD test for it, i think the preterm labor kind of took over the appointment
newserenity likes this.
July 27th, 2012, 05:16 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
My water broke with my first and it was just a trickle but it was steady. Laying down and standing up is one way you can tell. Really though the only way to know for sure is to go in and let them test it. They can do a test and know pretty quick if that is what it is. there are actually a few ways to test it.
July 27th, 2012, 05:40 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Like Natasha said, a small leak wouldn't gush. I'm probaby paranoid enough after Kim's loss in the Dec DDC that any watery discharge, I'll get checked out especially if it's getting to the point of making my pants wet. I'd keep an eye on it and if it keeps up, it certainly wouldn't hurt just to have them do a swab and make sure it's nothing.
newserenity likes this.

July 27th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Veteran
Idk maybe tmi, but my underwear get wet everyday, but im pretty sure its discharge since this is like my one pregnancy syptom, and it has a sweet smell but im sure its too thick to be fluid, plus its been goiing on for awhile now, so they woulda seen something at my antanomy scan i assume?

Thank You Peimum for my beautiful siggy (:

July 27th, 2012, 10:10 AM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
How are you feeling today?
July 27th, 2012, 10:50 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Would they catch it if it was amniotic fluid when you do your urine sample at the doctor's office? I go weekly now, and do a sample each time.

Seems like my discharge has really increased this week too. I'm glad Rachel asked this question.

July 27th, 2012, 10:58 AM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I had an amniotic fluid leak with my 2nd DD. It started at about 35.5 weeks as a very light dripping (think drippy faucet), I called my doctor and he said if it wasn't gushing when I went from laying to sitting, sitting to standing or jumping up and down it wasn't a leak. He didn't even want to see me. I continued to drip for a week and a half and then I started filling pads. I went to L&D and I was in fact leaking amniotic fluid.

This pregnancy felt the same, but I was thoroughly checked out and it was just watery discharge. It feels exactly the same. So, if you are concerned the only way to know for sure is to get the ph test and an ultrasound.

July 27th, 2012, 12:34 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
wait, what happened to who in the Dec DDC!?
July 27th, 2012, 02:20 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
Well, last night the only thing that was semi-"gushy" was when I went from laying down to sitting up, and it felt like I was peeing from my vagina. Not a lot, just a lil bit. But, today has been a less wet day for me. Nothing trickling down my legs or anything like that. And no sweet scent either. I think I'm safe for now!

Thanks for all the responses! Now I feel a little better distinguishing between the two! And yes... what happened in the Dec DDC???!!!

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 27th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Along the same lines of this topic, do you guys notice you have more discharge on more active days? I was having a ton then it wasnt bad for a while and i'vebeen super busy today and now i'm having lots tonight

July 27th, 2012, 08:55 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I seem to pretty much get more discharge every preggo day that passes lol.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search