Raising LO and Religion

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree15Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 27th, 2012, 07:45 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Will LO (or LOs) be raised under (not sure if thats the correct word) any particular religion?

July 27th, 2012, 08:00 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Absolutely. DH and I are devout Christians so we are raising our children to fear God and know Him. We go to church every week and we do family worship every night (well, we try to do it every night) and my 3 yr old loves to talk about Jesus. I will also be homeschooling these kiddos using Christian curriculum and so obviously this LO will be brought up in it all, too. I love it.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

July 28th, 2012, 05:29 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
No. DH is atheist and although I was raised Christian I guess I would consider myself agnostic now. Our kids will grow up learning about all religions and then decide for themselves what they choose to believe in.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting a baby boy in February!

{Our family blog}

July 28th, 2012, 06:34 AM
dickersons09's Avatar Expecting #2
Hubby and I are also devoted Christians and think that it's very important for our children to have this positive influence in their lives.
July 28th, 2012, 06:46 AM
~* Natasha *~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to ~* Natasha *~
Absolutely!
DH and I were both raised in the same Baptist religion so we will definately be carrying that on!
July 28th, 2012, 07:21 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
DF doesnt do religion....but she will be baptized Lutheran
July 28th, 2012, 07:39 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dh was raised Methodist and I baptist. But dd goes to church with us when we go. Dh has decided to go to my church so we will all go as a family.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

July 28th, 2012, 07:44 AM
ash29nc's Avatar Super Mommy
We are devout christians my children go to a christian school i think faith is important im a persons life no matter the religion
LindseyF likes this.

July 28th, 2012, 08:38 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes and no. My husband is an atheist and I am relatively agnostic but we both feel it's important to give our children some type of exposure to religion and the message that it shares. Since we were brought up Christian, our son goes to a Christian preschool and we go to church every month or two. We talk about God, Jesus and heaven but we usually start by saying, "some people believe..." There are aspects of Christianity that I do not agree with and those areas, I skip over.

July 28th, 2012, 09:15 AM
Super Mommy
We're in the same boat as Cassie and Mary.

I'm not saying there's not a GOD but I'm not saying there is, either. Our oldest 3 have been raised to understand and respect religions but also to decide for themselves what their path is. We will raise the youngest 3 the same. Understand, respect, choose what's right for you and what you believe.

There is just too much out there for me to believe there is a 'right' or 'wrong' GOD watching over me and listening to me and what goes on in my measly life.

ETA: When I say 'right' or 'wrong' I guess I more mean the way that religions preach different paths to enlightenment.

Just a funny side note: When my in laws were visiting they told a cashier that we were having our 6th child. She actually asked them if we were Mormon!
Cassie.S and gardenbelle like this.

Last edited by Punky.Brew; July 28th, 2012 at 09:18 AM.
July 28th, 2012, 09:51 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Christina, so funny about the Mormon comment. So crazy, but I had someone ask me that too - and I'm only on my third! It's extra funny because half my husband's family is Mormon. LOL
Forgot to add: I also teach them about other religious holidays because I think it's very important that they learn to respect and understand other religions since there are SO many in the world! It's mainly Jewish holidays as two of my good friends and their children are Jewish but as they get older, we'll branch out to other religions.

July 28th, 2012, 10:53 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Our faith is extremely important to us, so we have every intention of raising our child(ren) "in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4). DH is actually in seminary to be a pastor, so it really is and will be the central focus of our home.
hilhillrn likes this.
July 28th, 2012, 11:16 AM
LindseyF's Avatar Expecting 2nd Dec Baby!
As former Christians-turned-Muslims, my husband & I are passionate about making religion paramount in our lives. We will raise our LOs as Muslims, but are also very involved in interfaith committees in our community so it's equally as important to teach them respect of other religions as well, especially since we are now a minority.
mirabelle2011 and MarlowesMum like this.
July 28th, 2012, 12:13 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I guess we're kind of in the same boat as some of you other ladies... DH was raised mostly Methodist and I was raised Mormon. Neither of us has been particularly religious in our adulthoods, but we both still consider ourselves Christians and want to have some sense of that in our home. My guess is that there will always be talk of God and religion and when she gets a little older we'll all explore a little together and learn about as much as we can.

It's actually something that we've discussed a lot since we've known we were going to be together. We've both retained some things from our upbringing and even though doctrinally there are a lot of similarities between the two faiths there are still a lot of differences and we both have families that will push for us to "choose sides". We don't know how having children will affect our feelings about religion, but right now we're content with the idea of raising them to believe in something bigger than themselves, to be good, honest people and to treat everyone with respect. I figure if we can manage that then the rest of it will work itself out...
mirabelle2011 and gardenbelle like this.

July 28th, 2012, 12:23 PM
Veteran
DH and I are both raised and practicing Roman Catholics, so our children will also be brought up in this faith as well.

July 28th, 2012, 12:50 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Other half is the farthest thing from religious...
I was raised with a slight Christian upbrining.

While Im not sure LO will be raised with any religion in mind, we will definitely be learning about lots of different religions and how we have to respect all of them.

July 29th, 2012, 02:27 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
DH and I feel that our Christian faith is a center stone for our marriage, home, and family. We will absolutely be raising our children in faith!
hilhillrn likes this.

July 29th, 2012, 04:42 PM
Veteran
Neither of us are particularly religious as adults but we were both raised going to church. I was baptized Protestant and DH is Greek Orthodox. We've talked about it and want them to be able to make their own decisions when they are old enough, respect different religions, etc. I feel like Becky's approach is similar to how we are approaching it.

That said.... Both of our kids will be baptized Greek Orthodox next year. To my in-laws it was not even up for discussion and it does not matter that I am not Greek Orthodox. I have to pick and choose my battles with my MIL and we both (DH and I) agree that this is not one worth fighting. I feel like it's more of a tradition..? Not sure if that is the right word. Babies are supposed to be baptized before they turn one, but airline tickets are not cheap. The plan was this summer before I got pregnant so we will go next summer and baptize both at once. We could do it here but the cost of getting the 4 of us to Athens will be much less than the hordes of ppl that would want to come here and all stay in our house!

On a side note, babies technically do not have a name until they are baptized in Greece. You just call them 'baby' or whatever other little pet name you have for them. A Greek Passport will say 'not baptised' where the name is -- not that you could get anywhere with it. There was a lot of explaining to do with my MIL when we told her that we had to name Stella either before we left the hospital or right after.

July 29th, 2012, 07:22 PM
Regular
yes...our child will be taught Christianity and Islam. They are so similar and believe in almost all the same Prophets.
July 29th, 2012, 08:16 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
Our faith is extremely important to us, so we have every intention of raising our child(ren) "in the discipline and instruction of the Lord" (Ephesians 6:4). DH is actually in seminary to be a pastor, so it really is and will be the central focus of our home.
Neat! Which seminary is he at? My husband wants to go to seminary someday for missions.

...Hilary...
Mommy to Charlotte (b. 12/15/2008)
and Clara (b. 11/28/2010)
and Benjamin (b. 12/11/2012)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search