Losing my milk! :( How do I fix this?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By pr1madona
  • 1 Post By Amylizz

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2012, 05:12 PM
Meticulosity's Avatar Veteran
I have very little milk because I have been using formula too much. My midwife said "It's a slippery slope" and she was right!

I get about an ounce if I pump once per day.

Can this be fixed? How long will it take? Do I keep pumping even after the milk stops coming out?

If I put my son on the boob, he just freaks, because hardly anything comes out. So, first I need to worry about getting my milk back, then I will need to try to get him to latch again. Any tips for re-latching after an extended period of no latching?

July 28th, 2012, 07:36 PM
WrightWife's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I don't have any experience with this, but I would visit the breastfeeding board here on JM. They are awesome! You can also contact your local LLL (if they have it in Canada). Hope you get it sorted soon!

July 28th, 2012, 07:55 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Agreed^. It sounds like you need an LC at this point. Are you wanting to keep using formula sometimes or exclusively pump/nurse? Steel cut oats help boost supply, dark beer, drink lots of water, mother's milk tea, etc. Pumping isn't necessarily an indicator of supply though, some women do not respond to a pump well but nurse their babies with no supplementing fine. It just depends. He may be resistant to nursing because it's harder for him- some babies are lazy and once they realize a bottle is easy peasy they will refuse the boob. I'm sure an LC could give more detailed info and come up with a plan though and it's worth the money because it's cheaper than formula to consult her if you plan to only nurse. Good luck!!!

July 29th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Clutch's Avatar First Timer
I don't have any suggestions, but I just wanted to let you know that I'm in the same boat as you. You're definitely not alone!
July 29th, 2012, 04:40 PM
pr1madona's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
First, give him some formula to take the edge off his hunger, then latch him. Pumpalso about an hour after he eats for 15 to 20min. I EBF and only can get an ounce or 2 so that doesn't indicate supply. Drink tons of fluids, take fenugreek along with blessed thistle. Also eat oatmeal. Cosleep if popossible. And add the mothers milk tea.
Amylizz and TnPhotoMama81 like this.

July 29th, 2012, 09:03 PM
Amylizz's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
PP's said it all! I just wanna add that yes you should keep pumping when it stops coming out. Babies keep sucking when it doesn't come out anymore to increase supply so hopefully the pump will have the same effect.
Shadeauxe likes this.

July 30th, 2012, 10:28 AM
Super Mommy
try to pump every time he eats, or like one of the others said, give him a little bit of formula and then let him try to latch. the more you pump/let him try to feed the more it tells your body to make more milk. also, make sure the bottles you use are SLOW FLOW...it's more like how your milk comes out and he will be used to working for his milk.

the other ladies gave good suggestions for suppliments and foods to try and increase supply. I just wanted to add that you may need to increase your calorie intake. your body is obviously going to give the calories to the milk first, but it may help make the milk you produce more caloric and help you produce more milk.

good luck! stick to it!
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search