Cloth Diapering Help!

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By melkissa2004
  • 1 Post By bethysfirst1

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2012, 04:28 PM
Veteran
I don't post here much but I lurk often haha!

I need some help with my cloth diapers, I know there are others here that do it and some of you have done it for multiple kids so hopefully you can help.

We use pre folds and covers. The other day I did our standard wash (rinse and spin cold water, power wash with hot water and half the detergent of method free and clear. we have a high efficiency washer). When I went to pull them out of the dryer, they smelled a bit funky so I thought we would try stripping them, thinking there was detergent build up or something.

I did a regular wash with no detergent on hot water. Then a regular wash with 1 cup vinegar and hot water then I did 2 rinses with cold water. We then hung them in the sun to try to get some of the stains out.

We just put him in them again today and after about 10 minutes I noticed something stinky. I thought maybe baby had passed gas (been very stinky lately!) or something so I changed him to a new diaper (new cover too) and noticed it again. It kind of smells like old eggs or musty. We put him in a disposable diaper for now until we can figure out what to do.

I don't know what's causing the smell in the diapers or how to get rid of it. Any help or resources you have to offer would be a great help!
July 28th, 2012, 06:22 PM
Veteran
Try washing in hot water with the detergent, vinegar and baking soda... I had that same issue with my clothes, leakage and spit up.

Now my clothes all smell fresh or of baby spit up (depending on when you get a whiff of me....)
July 28th, 2012, 06:56 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
I would also try stripping with blue Dawn. Only used a couple of drops and wash on hot and rinse until there's no more bubbles.
adi&co. likes this.

July 29th, 2012, 03:06 PM
adi&co.
exactly what melissa said. blue dawn is a miracle worker!
July 29th, 2012, 04:37 PM
bethysfirst1's Avatar Loving Kate
I might try using more detergent, but doing an extra rinse. I got the stinkies after a while when I wasn't using enough detergent. Katherine was starting to pee more, so the amount I was using wasn't cutting it.
adi&co. likes this.

July 30th, 2012, 09:33 AM
Super Mommy
when ours got stinky like that it was because we weren't using enough detergent. we use gain on our diapers and we use detergent up to the 2nd line. we do a rinse first and then sanatary mode with the extra dirty and extra rinse options. i haven't had a problem since we upped the detergent. nor have we had any issues with "buildup" of detergent.
Twin Girls - April 23, 2012 (38 weeks)

3 angels (08, 10, 11)
August 4th, 2012, 10:35 PM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
I noticed tonight I need to strip Amelia's diapers, should I try vinegar and baking soda first or the blue Dawn? I'm glad i have disposables for tomorrow. Do you ladies put Dawn in it every time?

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

August 5th, 2012, 06:46 AM
Platinum Supermommy
Send a message via AIM to melkissa2004 Send a message via Yahoo to melkissa2004
Depends if you have hard water, then vinegar probably won't work. I'd just use Dawn personally. I don't do it everytime, only when needed (which we haven't since using Tide) and just rinse until no more soap bubbles. Agitation bubbles are expected.

August 5th, 2012, 07:47 AM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Alright, dawn it is, we don't have hard water.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search