Flu shots

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 28th, 2012, 10:19 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
Will you be getting one before LO arrives?

July 28th, 2012, 10:22 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I will. I didn't get one when I was pg with my son because I was too scared of side effects and I ended up getting the flu so bad that I ended up in L&D with an IV.

July 28th, 2012, 10:26 PM
Dhartanya's Avatar Paleo Mommy-to-be
I'm undecided.

I'm one that's supposed to get the flu shots.
Multiple Autoimmine Conditions and family members who are health impaired and disabled.
It's been years since I've received a flu shot though... My body doesn't deal well with vaccines.
Now that I'm pregnant, I really worry about what my body will do with a vaccine and a baby inside me.
I tend to not get sick easily, so I've used that in my favor. That said... I realize Meve is due right in the thick of sickle season.... Which also worries me.

July 28th, 2012, 11:28 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I will. Again, it's required as part of my job. Well I say "required" but basically if I DO NOT get it I have to wear a mask the ENTIRE time I am at work from October until April and I don't want to do that. I'm not much help with this stuff am I? LOL. Seriously though, as a respiratory therapist I get exposed to ever possible respiratory bug you can think of so I get vaccinateed for everything!

Daffney

July 28th, 2012, 11:32 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Nope but only because I am allergic to eggs and it's a big no, no for me. They can give small doses to those allergic but it takes a LONG time to get to the real deal and they refuse to do it while pg. It is mandiatory for all VA patients to get one so DH will have his and the kids will get theirs since they are in school. Luckily I have never had the flu while pg.

July 28th, 2012, 11:33 PM
Megan30's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I probably will.
July 29th, 2012, 12:01 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by crystalcherry View Post
Nope but only because I am allergic to eggs and it's a big no, no for me. They can give small doses to those allergic but it takes a LONG time to get to the real deal and they refuse to do it while pg. It is mandiatory for all VA patients to get one so DH will have his and the kids will get theirs since they are in school. Luckily I have never had the flu while pg.
Crystal, when you are pg, you get to have the thimerisol (sp?) free version so you should be all good. I actually tell the drs that my children possibly have an allergy to it so we can have the thimerasol free version.

July 29th, 2012, 12:08 AM
I had asked about the other type a few times and they said I could not get it. I wonder why, they won't even give it to me when I am not pg. Maybe when I find a dr here I can ask and maybe there is a reason they never told me. Now you have me all curious.

July 29th, 2012, 05:52 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Both the IM (intramuscular) and IN (intranasal) versions are cultured on fluid from chicken embryos - so I'm not sure how the thermisol free version would help an egg allergy? Although it seems possible to avoid an egg reaction while attaining the vaccine, I'm not sure it's the kind of thing I would want to try while preggo...

This is from the CDC website (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6033a3.)

Vaccination of Persons Reporting Allergy to Eggs

Allergy to eggs must be distinguished from allergy to influenza vaccine. Severe allergic and anaphylactic reactions can occur in response to a number of influenza vaccine components, but such reactions are rare. A review of reports to the Vaccine Adverse Events Reporting System (VAERS) of adverse events in adults noted four reports of death caused by anaphylaxis following influenza vaccine during 1990--2005; the vaccine components potentially responsible for these reactions were not reported (20). A prior severe allergic reaction to influenza vaccine, regardless of the component suspected to be responsible for the reaction, is a contraindication to receipt of influenza vaccine.

All currently available influenza vaccines are prepared by inoculation of virus into chicken eggs. Hypersensitivity to eggs has been listed as a contraindication to receipt of influenza vaccine on most package inserts. However, several recent studies have documented safe receipt of TIV in persons with egg allergy (21--29), and recent revisions of some TIV package inserts note that only a severe allergic reaction (e.g., anaphylaxis) to egg protein is a contraindication. In general, these studies include relatively fewer persons reporting a history of anaphylactic reaction to egg, compared with less severe reactions. Several documents providing guidance on use of influenza vaccine in persons with egg allergy have been published recently (30--32).

The quantity of egg protein in vaccine is expressed as the concentration of ovalbumin per dose or unit volume. Among studies in which the ovalbumin content of the administered vaccine was reported, up to 1.4 g/mL (0.7 g/0.5 mL dose) was tolerated without serious reactions (22,23,25--29); however, a safe maximum threshold of ovalbumin, below which no anaphylactic reactions would be expected, is not known.

Although ovalbumin content is not required to be disclosed on package inserts for vaccines used in the United States, manufacturers either report maximum albumin content in the package inserts or will provide this information on request. Ovalbumin concentration can vary from season to season and from lot to lot for a given vaccine. Independent assessments of ovalbumin content of commercially available vaccines have noted lower concentrations than those listed on package inserts (33,34).

In several studies evaluating influenza vaccine in persons with egg allergy, additional safety measures have been taken, such as skin prick testing with vaccine (21--24,26,28,29) and administering the vaccine in 2 doses (e.g., 10% of the dose initially, followed by the remaining 90% if no reaction has occurred during a 30-minute observation period) (22,24--29). Skin prick testing with vaccine was poorly predictive of allergic reactions in these studies (22--24,26). In general, administration of both full doses and split doses have been well-tolerated without serious reactions, although systemic reactions (e.g., wheezing, eczema exacerbation, and hives on face/chest) were observed with the initial 10% dose among six (3.5%) of 171 participants in one study (24).

Recommendations Regarding Persons with Egg Allergy

Each of the following recommendations applies when considering influenza vaccination of persons who have or report a history of egg allergy.

1. Persons who have experienced only hives following exposure to egg should receive influenza vaccine with the following additional measures (Figure 2):

a) Because studies published to date involved use of TIV, TIV rather than LAIV should be used.

b) Vaccine should be administered by a health-care provider who is familiar with the potential manifestations of egg allergy.

c) Vaccine recipients should be observed for at least 30 minutes for signs of a reaction following administration of each vaccine dose.

Other measures, such as dividing and administering the vaccine by a two-step approach and skin testing with vaccine, are not necessary.

2. Persons who report having had reactions to egg involving angioedema, respiratory distress, lightheadedness, or recurrent emesis, or persons who required epinephrine or other emergency medical intervention, particularly those that occurred immediately or within minutes to hours after egg exposure are more likely to have a serious systemic or anaphylactic reaction upon reexposure to egg proteins. Before receipt of vaccine, such persons should be referred to a physician with expertise in the management of allergic conditions for further risk assessment (Figure 2).

3. All vaccines should be administered in settings in which personnel and equipment for rapid recognition and treatment of anaphylaxis are available. ACIP recommends that all vaccination providers be familiar with the office emergency plan (18).

4. Some persons who report allergy to egg might not be egg allergic. Those who are able to eat lightly cooked egg (e.g., scrambled eggs) without reaction are unlikely to be allergic. Conversely, egg-allergic persons might tolerate egg in baked products (e.g., bread or cake); tolerance to egg-containing foods does not exclude the possibility of egg allergy (35). Egg allergy can be confirmed by a consistent medical history of adverse reactions to eggs and egg-containing foods, plus skin and/or blood testing for immunoglobulin E antibodies to egg proteins.

5. A previous severe allergic reaction to influenza vaccine, regardless of the component suspected to be responsible for the reaction, is a contraindication to receipt of influenza vaccine.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

July 29th, 2012, 06:04 AM
Super Mommy
I will not, I have never gotten the flu shot before, nor have I had the flu before. My mom and sister have both gotten the flu vaccine before and both have a bad reaction to it, so I don't chance it. Also, even though I do vaccinate the flu vaccine is not one our family does.

July 29th, 2012, 06:51 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Yes, I will be getting it.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

July 29th, 2012, 07:43 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
nope!
July 29th, 2012, 08:38 AM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
My family and I will not be getting it.
July 29th, 2012, 10:00 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Becky_78 View Post
Both the IM (intramuscular) and IN (intranasal) versions are cultured on fluid from chicken embryos - so I'm not sure how the thermisol free version would help an egg allergy? Although it seems possible to avoid an egg reaction while attaining the vaccine, I'm not sure it's the kind of thing I would want to try while preggo...

This is from the CDC website (http://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/preview/mmwrhtml/mm6033a3.)
Thanks for that info. When I was young they tried in the allergy office and the outcome was not so good. We started off small then every other day they increased the amout I was give until I had the entire shot. I think that is pretty much what they still do from the info you provided.

July 29th, 2012, 10:09 AM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Yes I will. With working in at the front desk in a Dr's office its just not smart not to. We see soo many sick people since its a PCP office.

Work give us them for free so I'll get it through them.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy

My Ovulation Chart
July 29th, 2012, 11:23 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I have never gotten one and won't start now.

July 29th, 2012, 11:55 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
I will get one either in the third trimester or at the hospital.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
July 29th, 2012, 03:00 PM
ImperfectMommy's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes I will, and so will DH and Xander.
July 29th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I work with a lot of sick people and will also be required to either get the shot or wear a mask.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search