Formula ban in NYC

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree70Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 29th, 2012, 04:54 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I dont believe we have any NYC residents in this group, but non the less this is very interesting, and Im unsure how I feel about it.

In a nutshell - The Mayer of NY has started a new program, limiting the access to formula when in the hospital, in order to push/promote breastfeeding. It sounds like formula will need to be signed out to a new mother like medication. While the mother will not be denied the formula if they want it, they will be "talked to" each time its requested.

So do the math, an infant gets a bottle every 3-4 hours. Depending on how long your hospital stay is, you will be lectured somewhere between 10-24 times if you choose formula over breast feeding? THere is no denying breastfeeding is better for a baby, but should a new mother but pushed into it? What if they can't breastfeed? Do they have to try every time the baby needs to feed and then get lectured when they give up and just want the formula?

Im sure the details of this program will emerge of the next few days, since it starts in September.

Mayor Bloomberg pushing NYC hospitals to hide baby formula so more new mothers will breast-feed - NYPOST.com

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!

Last edited by BabyLove23; August 1st, 2012 at 07:00 PM. Reason: Typo
July 29th, 2012, 05:08 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I think it's ridiculous.

July 29th, 2012, 05:22 PM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just another ridiculous way government is trying to control our lives. Breast milk may be better, but I don't know any formula fed babies who are malnourished or unhealthy. And most babies I have known my entire life were formula fed.
Leanne78 and mollymalone like this.

July 29th, 2012, 05:35 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
That's asinine.
BabyLove23 likes this.

July 29th, 2012, 05:56 PM
Super Mommy
I think this is absolutely ridiculous. I would be infuriated if it affected me. It's nobody's business how I choose to feed my child as long as I'm not hurting them.
Rosalie Octavia, born on October 22nd and 9:35am, 7 pounds 2 ounces, 19 inches.
July 29th, 2012, 06:14 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I do agree this may be taking it too far, but I also think that most hospitals are actually the opposite and freely shower you in formula samples, etc. My friend just had a baby and got 3 diaper bags with formula samples - one was even labelled "for the breastfeeding mother" but still was put out by Enfamil and talked about the importance of supplementing and included tons of samples, which I think is wrong, as well. I do think they need to be more pro-breastfeeding but not in a pushy manner. I know when I had Nora, they had ONE lactation consultant that was available so you had to make an appt, which in the midst of trying to feed a screaming baby, being new to parenthood/breastfeeding isn't the best option. I think there needs to be a middle ground.
July 29th, 2012, 06:16 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
"The road to hell is paved with good intentions" is a proverb that always comes to mind when I see things like this. While I am a HUGE proponent for breastfeeding, I find this to be very Orwellian.
tinx, Leanne78, Nicole1481 and 1 others like this.

July 29th, 2012, 06:23 PM
I get it that some mothers may not know any better. Not every mom knows whats best, does the studying, research, preparation, ect. Hell how many parents don't even plan on being parents? So advising a new mom that BFing is better can't hurt. Just like they advise new moms to get their kid vaccinated, follow up with a pediatrican within the first week, not to shake the baby, wake them to feed every 4 hours till they double their weight, ect. I know when I left the hospital, I had a STACK of documents stating "Do this, not that." Not to even mention 2 hours after I delivered I had a nurse standing over me giving me a crash course on parenting. (I actually enjoyed it. This was when I learned how to swaddle! LOL!)

But anyway, the way the are going about this seams to be a bit much. Im glad Im delivering on the island. I would not want to deal with being looked down upon because I choose formula.

Last edited by BabyLove23; July 29th, 2012 at 06:27 PM.
July 29th, 2012, 06:25 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
That is pure BS!! Coming from someone that can't breastfeed because my milk never lets down and I would kill to be able to BF. It would be a constant reminder that my body has failed me. It would make me feel like not only do I feel like I fail my child but my drs and nurses also feel like I am a failure to my child. I don't need a hospital and a bunch of drs and nurses to rub it in.

I have tried with every kid to BF. I have had lactation consultants work with me. No help what so ever! Nothing I have tried has worked.
tinx likes this.

July 29th, 2012, 06:28 PM
Super Mommy
This article discusses how the woman will be 'talked to' every time they require formula. It also talks about limiting the amount 'prescribed', etc. Education should not come at the cost of prescription. A hospital can educate a new mother without harping her. Baby formula should not be regulated in this manner. There are far too many 'what if' situations in which a mother simply cannot breast feed even if they wanted. This is just an example of another politician trying to micro-manage the people of America. We need to be able to think for ourselves and make our decisions based on our own intelligence/conclusions. I am very much against what this politician is proposing.
BabyLove23 likes this.
July 29th, 2012, 06:30 PM
Veteran
People can just put it in their bags. Thats what I would do. Bring it with me. I breastfeed but my 1st child couldnt/wouldnt. I would have just packed it in my bag. shrug.

July 29th, 2012, 06:42 PM
LindsayGriff
Some of you may not agree with me but this in my opinion is changes people are going to be putting forth in preparation for Obama care. Breastfeeding is free, formula costs money. If they are going to be paying for it, they will try every way to reduce their costs. It goes along the lines of trying to reduce the amount of sugary drinks like pop you can have to just 16 oz bottles or less because they feel if they limit sugary drinks, they will reduce diabetes and thus the medical care for diabetes. Just my 2 cents worth!

Thank you peimum for my siggy
July 29th, 2012, 06:46 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
Well I'm a NYC soon-to-be-momma on this board. This is the first I'm hearing of this so thank you for sharing - will keep an eye on it. I plan to BF and I know that the hospital I am using is a "baby-friendly" hospital that strongly encourages BFing. I will be glad to have all the help & support I can get...but would hope that if it doesn't work out I wouldnt have to beg for formula.

There is a new campaign against sugary drinks and sodas in NYC by the mayor which I think is good in many ways. He's also been a big proponent in making school lunches healthier. This seems to be an extension of that, but is maybe a few steps overboard.
July 29th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayGriff View Post
Some of you may not agree with me but this in my opinion is changes people are going to be putting forth in preparation for Obama care. Breastfeeding is free, formula costs money. If they are going to be paying for it, they will try every way to reduce their costs. It goes along the lines of trying to reduce the amount of sugary drinks like pop you can have to just 16 oz bottles or less because they feel if they limit sugary drinks, they will reduce diabetes and thus the medical care for diabetes. Just my 2 cents worth!

Wow I didn't think of it that way...... You have a very good point! Not that it makes the situation right, but maybe that explains why they are doing it.

Mel -I heard out the soda campaign too. That one Im ALL for. Soda is too easy to get, and for double the price you can get a bottle of water that is half the size. Its just not right, and soda has zero benefits.

Last edited by BabyLove23; July 29th, 2012 at 06:55 PM.
July 29th, 2012, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLove23 View Post
Wow I didn't think of it that way...... You have a very good point! Not that it makes the situation right, but maybe that explains why they are doing it.

Mel -I heard out the soda campaign too. That one Im ALL for. Soda is too easy to get, and for double the price you can get a bottle of water that is half the size. Its just not right, and soda has zero benefits.
It actually makes it scarier for me, if that is what it's an extension of!
cindy6 and Leanne78 like this.
July 29th, 2012, 06:57 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayGriff View Post
This does not justify locking it up like a prescription and lecturing mothers every time they come in for some or need it. I don't know about you, but I pay into my healthcare, and the formula they would give me for 'free' at birth is part of what I not only buy into, but rightfully deserve as being a patient in that hospital. I shouldn't have to justify myself or be lectured if I choose that route. If the hospital didn't offer it at all, that would be completely different, but as it stands, baby formula is part of a standard package when a woman has a baby in the hospital. If you want to get rid of it, again, I say fine. Mothers who decide to formula feed, and those that take care of infants, will end up fronting a lot of money into formula once they get home anyway.

Edit: And without intending to incite a riot or a fight, I think it's ridiculous that people have the audacity and pretentious attitude to control substances like soda. It's called choice people. The soda doesn't make me unhealthy, the decision to drink gallons of it a day does. You can't impede on someone's rights like that.

Last edited by tinx; July 29th, 2012 at 07:02 PM.
July 29th, 2012, 07:02 PM
MelNYC's Avatar Melissa
Also-- just noticed that the NY Post reported that story. They are not considered a real journalistic newspaper in NYC, but more of a tabloid. I'm willing to bet that story is inflated from the actual truth..
July 29th, 2012, 07:03 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by MelNYC View Post
Also-- just noticed that the NY Post reported that story. They are not considered a real journalistic newspaper in NYC, but more of a tabloid. I'm willing to bet that story is inflated from the actual truth..
I'm not. Have you followed that politician much? He's a real loon.
July 29th, 2012, 07:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinx View Post
This does not justify locking it up like a prescription and lecturing mothers every time they come in for some or need it. I don't know about you, but I pay into my healthcare, and the formula they would give me for 'free' at birth is part of what I not only buy into, but rightfully deserve as being a patient in that hospital. I shouldn't have to justify myself or be lectured if I choose that route. If the hospital didn't offer it at all, that would be completely different, but as it stands, baby formula is part of a standard package when a woman has a baby in the hospital. If you want to get rid of it, again, I say fine. Mothers who decide to formula feed, and those that take care of infants, will end up fronting a lot of money into formula once they get home anyway.
I don't think she was saying that justified it. Just stating that maybe this is a look into the future of cost savings and programs that come with ObamaCare.

And maybe that is what they are going towards - not offering formula unless the baby has a specific medical condition, is premature, etc. I would be for that as well - if you want to FF, bring your own. If your baby has a medical need for it, then they will provide it. I don't think any hospital has any obligation to provide formula at all.

All new programs are going to have growing pains until they work themselves out, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
July 29th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meddleman View Post
I don't think she was saying that justified it. Just stating that maybe this is a look into the future of cost savings and programs that come with ObamaCare.

And maybe that is what they are going towards - not offering formula unless the baby has a specific medical condition, is premature, etc. I would be for that as well - if you want to FF, bring your own. If your baby has a medical need for it, then they will provide it. I don't think any hospital has any obligation to provide formula at all.

All new programs are going to have growing pains until they work themselves out, it will be interesting to see how this plays out.
I don't know if I think people who want to formula feed (with the exception of emergencies like you said) is the right way to go, but I definitely think that you should bring your own Just In Case(TM). I will be bringing my own formula just in case I can't breast feed for whatever reason, simply because it gives me the control over what type I'll feed her, y'know?

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search