QOTD: Pediatrician

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By anna.rose

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 06:07 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Do you have your pediatrician chosen yet?

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

July 30th, 2012, 06:32 AM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our doctor is a family practitioner and OB. He delivered DD and is the doctor for each one of us. He will be this baby's doctor, needless to say. I love it. He knows all family history in case anything comes up (DH has CP so that's a big deal to me) and he's VERY personable.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
July 30th, 2012, 06:50 AM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We already have one and this baby will g

Little brother!
July 30th, 2012, 06:55 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I feel like a totally ignorant FTM here, but can somebody explain how this whole process works? Do you call up your chosen pediatrician and say "Hey, I'm pregnant, will you be my kid's doctor?" How soon after birth do you take the baby to get checked up? How does it work with insurance for those early appointments? I don't know if this is how all insurances work, but we can't add somebody until we have a SSN, which you don't get as soon as the baby is born. I'm just so confused.
July 30th, 2012, 07:01 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
What I did was I called the office of the doctor I was interested in and let them know I was due in December and asked if she was taking new patients. Luckily she is taking newborns. They asked what type of insurance we have and we're good with that. So she said all I need to do is let my OB office know and they will send paperwork over to their office and I don't need to do anything else. I believe they usually also let them know once baby has arrived and the pediatrician will try to come over to the hospital and visit you at that time.

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby #2 in February!

{Our family blog}

July 30th, 2012, 07:02 AM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
I feel like a totally ignorant FTM here, but can somebody explain how this whole process works? Do you call up your chosen pediatrician and say "Hey, I'm pregnant, will you be my kid's doctor?" How soon after birth do you take the baby to get checked up? How does it work with insurance for those early appointments? I don't know if this is how all insurances work, but we can't add somebody until we have a SSN, which you don't get as soon as the baby is born. I'm just so confused.
If you ask your OB, I'm sure they can help you out with some suggestions to pedis. Insurance will back track, or should, prior to baby getting a SSN. Just call and say that you're due in December and looking for a pediatrician and ask if they're taking new patients. They will generally be seen at 4 days then 1 week, then 2 weeks, and I believe a month old just to make sure their gaining weight and what not. After that, it's monthly until 3 months? Then it's 6 months, 9 months, 1 year, etc. Some doctors continue that pattern until two years, some doctors skip the 15 month check up.
~Landon's Mommy~ likes this.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
July 30th, 2012, 07:14 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Check your insurance list and then check out the reviews for individual pediatricians on yelp or something. It's important to read those reviews and look for things like what their bedside manner is, is it easy to get same day sick appointments (you will need those) and what kind of hours they have. Also, ASK around. People LOVE to brag about their awesome pediatricians. When the same name starts coming up, that's usually a good sign . After you pick one, call and ask if they are taking new patients and see if they have privileges at the hospital you are delivering at. (If not, no biggie, you can just have the on call pedi do the initial newborn assesment and then take them into their regular doc at three days of life). In the hospital, they will ask who your pediatrician is and they will let their office know that they have a new patient and the on call doc for that group will see the baby every morning (early, before office hours) while you are in there.
As far as insurance, you usually have 90 days to add (or 60, I can't remember). The baby is automatically covered, you just have to make sure to call the insurance company and then you will send them a copy of the birth cert and give them the ssn.

And yes, mine is picked I like him a lot, the office is convienent and I never have a problem getting them in when they are sick. He doesn't have privileges at the hospital I'm delivering at which stinks (I have to deliver there. I work there and if I deliver there, I don't have the 500 dollar admission copay and as much as I like him, I'm not paying 500 bucks so he can see the baby for five minutes in the hospital). I'll just have the on call doc see her and do her initial assesment and then bring her in at three days to our regular pedi.

Daffney

July 30th, 2012, 07:33 AM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, that is one big thing checked off as a 3rd time mom - the baby will go my to current pediatrician.
July 30th, 2012, 07:54 AM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
No, I really need to start thinking about that. I hardly even have a regular doctor! Looking for doctors stresses me out to no end.

July 30th, 2012, 08:02 AM
Regular
They don't have pediatricians here in the Netherlands. Instead, your "huisarts" (general practitioner) sees you and your child when he/she is sick. For the first four years all well-baby visits go through the Consultatiebureau, where they check growth, discuss any problems with you and give immunizations. After that, all well-child visits are coordinated through the school, which has to have a qualified nurse and usually has a doctor come as well. The very first checkups after birth are done at home.

I should clarify that they do have pediatricians, but only for serious illness, and they're all hospital-based.
July 30th, 2012, 09:48 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
Not yet. I want to make an appt for interview with the two Dr's I'm looking at.
I really like one and am leaning towards her but unless something changed, they do not have an oncall Dr at night and on weekends. That just makes me uneasy.
But that is where the appt will come in with each.

From my experience with insurance you have 30 days to add baby to your insurance officially. For those first 30 days baby is automatically covered.

Thank you *JMC1988* for the perfect siggy
July 31st, 2012, 08:31 AM
Christina(mommyof2)'s Avatar Army Wife
sure!! my DD doctor!
July 31st, 2012, 08:50 AM
Super Mommy
Yep, the baby will see the same pediatrician as my other 6 kids.

July 31st, 2012, 09:01 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We have a family dr and she is great so I'm pretty sure I will go with her but I have one other office to look into that my ob suggested since they will be premies. My insurance is through the state but with it they are automatically covered all you have to do is call to get their card sent but they give you the number so you can use it.or at least that's how it worked when I had dd

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search