Diaper Pail Review - Diaper Genie vs. Arm & Hammer

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By Leanne78
  • 1 Post By BlndGrl8

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 08:16 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Just thought I would share my experience with these two brands. I have been using the Diaper Genie for 2 years and thought I liked it pretty well except for buying the expensive refills. But then they went and discontinued my particular model and the refills that went along with it. The new refills don't quite fit the same and the generic bags STINK, so DH and I went out and bought the Arm & Hammer Diaper Pail Amazon.com: Munchkin Arm and Hammer Diaper Pail, White: Baby .

I've only had it a week and I LOVE it. Wish I would have bought this 2 years ago. The refills are cheaper and it has a little baking soda compartment at the top that sprinkles it in the bag each time you put a diaper in. It also keeps the bag twisted shut at the top all the time (even when you open the lid unlike the Diaper Genie that opens up the bag when you open the lid), so you never open the lid and get that poof of foul diaper stench like you do with the diaper genie. It's also much easier to open and change out the bag when full. I've actually taken paint off the wall flipping the diaper genie pail open. Also, the A&H bags are made to just snap shut at the top, so no pulling out a stinky bag and tying it off and dealing with diaper stench while doing it. Just a much nicer pail all together. K, there's my 2 cents.

July 30th, 2012, 01:56 PM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
I had a daiper genie with Zoe. I did not like it. Ill have to check out the arm and hammer pail
July 30th, 2012, 03:59 PM
If my opinion of it changes after a few weeks, I'll update. Would also be interested in hearing anyone's experience with the diaper champ. Most of the reviews I read said it stunk after a while, but I haven't tried it myself.

July 30th, 2012, 04:22 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Thanks! I registered for the Diaper Champ because of reviews, but if you like the Arm and Hammer one so much I might switch!

July 30th, 2012, 04:24 PM
Thank you for putting this out there! I am a first time mom and was wondering if a diaper pail was necessary, and if so which brand.
July 30th, 2012, 04:34 PM
Robyn - The positive thing about the diaper champ is that it takes whatever trash bags you want to use with it. It also has a slot that you put the diaper in and then flip it and it dumps it into the pail. I read a lot of negative reviews on it though online, so I decided to try the Arm & Hammer one instead. At this point though, I think either would probably be better than the Diaper Genie because of the way the Diaper Genie opens the bag up when you flip up the lid letting all the "aromas" out. A good place to read reviews is Amazon. They have the Arm & Hammer Pail rated 4 out of 5 stars and the Diaper Champ is 3 out of 5 stars.

Personally, I couldn't live without a diaper pail of some sort. I've been using trash bags the last 2 weeks because I couldn't buy inserts for the diaper genie and it was a pain in the butt. I kept having to run the diapers out to the garage everytime we changed one and with Akadia that is a lot. I can't stand the smell of diapers so even leaving a bag with them in the house and emptying it every night isn't an option for me.

Last edited by Leanne78; July 30th, 2012 at 04:38 PM.
July 30th, 2012, 04:40 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the genie. ITs neat, but I can do with or without it. I don't think its really helping me that much. I may have to try the arm an hammer one!!

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
July 30th, 2012, 04:51 PM
If I had to come up with one negative to it, the A&H one is shorter than my diaper genie. But, the new Diaper Genies are also shorter, so it really doesn't matter much for those buying one now.

July 30th, 2012, 05:05 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I did look at the reviews on Amazon. The diaper champ link I registered for had over 2,000 reviews and was rated 4 stars. However, I just looked at my registry and the diaper champ is listed as currently unavailable, so I need to fix that anyways since my shower invites have gone out. I did most of my registry on Amazon first, spending hours going through reviews of all the products.

Last edited by Belita; July 30th, 2012 at 05:07 PM.
July 30th, 2012, 05:11 PM
Looks like the pink one had more ratings. The one I was looking at was blue and it was the one that was 3 out of 4. I don't think you could go wrong with either of those two though - the A&H and the Champ. Both seem to have a better design than the genie as far as not leaking out odors when you put in the diaper. That and the unloading were my complaints with the genie with the new cartridges. I really didn't have too much problem with the old cartridges, but now that I have the A&H one, I'm liking the ease of unloading it a lot better.

Last edited by Leanne78; July 30th, 2012 at 05:15 PM.
July 30th, 2012, 06:00 PM
melaniek85's Avatar Frankie and Ronin's mommy
I put the arm and hamer one on my registry. Glad to hear you like it so far.

July 30th, 2012, 11:16 PM
MrsLucy's Avatar Super Mommy
ohhh.. might need to go get that one.. Thanks!

July 31st, 2012, 06:47 AM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
We have the Diaper Genie Elite and this time around are going to get the Arm & Hammer. I like the idea of baking soda as a natural freshener and the fact the bags close. Once Kaitlin started on solids, we would have to throw her poop diapers outside in the trash. I don't think the Diaper Genie contains the smell very well Thanks for posting your review!!
3kids3cats likes this.
July 31st, 2012, 07:51 AM
If anyone needs a visual, I changed out the pail last night and here's a picture of how the front opens and what the bags look like at the top - how they snap shut. It's soooo nice, opening the lid, and with the bag still twisted shut, you just snap the plastic ring together and push down through the opening and pull the bag out the front of the pail. NO smell at all, no pail tipping over, no having to flip open the pail like the diaper genie. I would guess we could fit about 30 size 6 toddler diapers in there. I could have squished more in, but was emptying trash last night. Not as many as I could have gotten in the diaper genie, but again the new ones are the same size as this anyways and honestly, how long do you really want the diapers sitting there? Here's also a picture of what the opening looks like when you flip up the top. You can see the baking soda dispenser (you just refill with baking soda when you run out) and how the bags are twisted shut even when you open the lid. The diaper just pops through. I feel like a used car salesmen, but sometimes it's nice to see what the product actually looks like in use.

July 31st, 2012, 08:07 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I second putting all poop diapers outside in the trash. I haven't ever seen a diaper pail that could contain poop smells well. I would rather not have it in the house at all-but I'm really sensitive to smells.
We have the Diaper Dekor which I really like (we've had it a long time & use it as a trash can now). But, it's never had a poopy diaper in it, so it's never smelled. I'm not looking forward to dealing with diapers again...it's been a nice break for 2 years without them!
I like the idea of the Arm & Hammer with the baking soda.

August 1st, 2012, 10:44 AM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have the diaper champ and really like it. A lot of the negative reviews say it is hard to turn the handle at the top, but I have found that once it starts getting hard to turn, it means it is time to change the bag. You never really fill up a bag, but it is nice that you can use your own trash bags which save money.

The smell can start to seep out after a while, but I also came across a tip once in a magazine that said to put a fresh scented dryer sheet down in the bag and it would help the smell a lot. And it really does. You could probably even sprinkle baking soda in the bag even though there is no compartment for it.

August 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I've never had the Diaper Genie, but I've had the A&H for 19mo. I love it. But if you want to know some of the down sides I can give you a few.

Once you get into bigger diapers it fills up pretty fast.
There are generic brand bags that you can get at Walmart that are bigger, but they don't really work as well. They don't stay in place in the top of the pail.
If you start to put in more diapers than the pail thinks you should it sounds like the top will break off while your closing it. It won't and you can fit in a few more after it starts being difficult.
And the door on the front is very easy to latch and unlatch so if you leave a curious toddler in the room alone they can get it open if they want to.

But really those are all minor things and I fully plan to keep using mine for DS and this baby. It really has been great and no bad smell at all.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search