Things To Not Say To Pregnant Women

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 30th, 2012, 11:59 AM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
Let's make a list of things people shouldn't say to pregnant women. Then maybe we could find a way to distribute our list to the world.

I'll start:

I don't like that name at all. (then proceeds to list all the reasons it's a bad name).
Wow, you're looking a lot bigger than I did when I was that far along.
Are you sure you should be eating that?
July 30th, 2012, 12:11 PM
bug, boo, n boogers mom's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Wow, are you sure you aren't having twins? (that one has been said to me, I am 5'0 and baby has no where to go but out!)

I am sure I will think of some more later.

Thank's to lovinMyGirls for my awsome name siggy!

July 30th, 2012, 12:37 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Well I didn't make parenting decision x y or z and my kids never died and are perfect.

You don't even look pregnant at all, looks like just you had an extra burger or something.

Was DH disappointed with gender?

Man you timed the due date poorly, who wants a Christmas baby????

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
July 30th, 2012, 12:41 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Towards the end the million phone calls about "have you had the baby yet" or you look like you are ready to explode. During pg comments don't bother me as much but at the end when you are hurting, tired and ready to fall over if you don't have the baby you will be amazed at how quickly you could end up on that show Snapped.

July 30th, 2012, 02:30 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, I agree with Crystal's post entirely! If/when you go overdue, people's comments about why you haven't had the baby yet get really irritating. When I went overdue with my daughter, I swear some people actually seemed annoyed at me. Yeah, like that is my fault and I'm choosing this. LOL
Other than that, the only one that has ever bothered me is in my 1st born's pregnancy when people would tell me I was so tiny at X weeks along and if I was sure I was as far along as I thought I was. It really made me feel self conscious and worried that something was wrong (nothing was, I just popped late but gave birth to an almost 9 lb baby, LOL).
July 30th, 2012, 02:39 PM
lilemma86's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
When I was not far along.... Fom MIL: looks like you have a little pooch going on!
Wth does that mean??

Also: your looking pregnant today. (my dad said this one time and he learned why to NEVER say it again )

And I second sending this list to the world!!

July 30th, 2012, 03:11 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
The thing that gets me is people that have kids will make these comments. Maybe after they stop having babies they forget what is appropriate and what is not.

July 30th, 2012, 03:41 PM
Crystalici0us4's Avatar Aubree Lynn's Mommy<3<3
My cousin is famous for saying things that really irritate me, I guess she thinks since she's had 3 kids that she knows it all & that my pregnancy will be just like hers or that I will feel the same way as she did.. but here are a few

Just wait until ur like 7-8 months along, you're going to be SAO miserable & just want that baby out! (Sorry, but just because you ate so much that you looked like you were gunna be Octomom doesn't mean I will be the same)

Comment about my love of Buffalo chicken cheesesteaks: pretty soon you're only gunna be able to eat chicken cheesesteaks because the heartburn & acid reflux will kill you! (Umm, I already have heartburn EVER night & it doesn't matter what I eat, it happens I take Tums & I'm fine jeez) to which she responds: that's how my first two pegnancy's were. Maybe yours will have a lot of hair unlike you, you were a baldy! (Which I don't believe just because someone has hearburn means that the baby will have hair. Nor do I care. Whether she's born with it or not, she will eventually get hair)

When she found out I was having a girl: Wow you have your work cut out for you. Having a baby is harder than you think! (So I said: I never said having a baby was easy. I know being a mom is hard, but I've always wanted to be a mom, I know I'm going to love it. & I know I can handle it.

I'm sorry but, just because you've been thru it before, doesn't give you a right to push your opinions on me or assume that I'm going to have the same exact experience as you. She gets on my nerves lol. (When she was pregnant with her first, sshe also had the nerve to say she didn't think I could ever get preegnant! Because me & Mike had been together for a while & never got pregnant, but unlike her, Mike & I weren't ready so took precautions. Her & her boyfriend, who had only been together for a MONTH, never used protection or tried to prevent it which is why she was pregnant) ughh
July 30th, 2012, 03:56 PM
Veteran
Yes those are the things that people shouldn't say yet they are the exact things they say first.

July 30th, 2012, 04:02 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystizzle4 View Post
My cousin is famous for saying things that really irritate me, I guess she thinks since she's had 3 kids that she knows it all & that my pregnancy will be just like hers or that I will feel the same way as she did.. but here are a few

Just wait until ur like 7-8 months along, you're going to be SAO miserable & just want that baby out! (Sorry, but just because you ate so much that you looked like you were gunna be Octomom doesn't mean I will be the same)

Comment about my love of Buffalo chicken cheesesteaks: pretty soon you're only gunna be able to eat chicken cheesesteaks because the heartburn & acid reflux will kill you! (Umm, I already have heartburn EVER night & it doesn't matter what I eat, it happens I take Tums & I'm fine jeez) to which she responds: that's how my first two pegnancy's were. Maybe yours will have a lot of hair unlike you, you were a baldy! (Which I don't believe just because someone has hearburn means that the baby will have hair. Nor do I care. Whether she's born with it or not, she will eventually get hair)

When she found out I was having a girl: Wow you have your work cut out for you. Having a baby is harder than you think! (So I said: I never said having a baby was easy. I know being a mom is hard, but I've always wanted to be a mom, I know I'm going to love it. & I know I can handle it.

I'm sorry but, just because you've been thru it before, doesn't give you a right to push your opinions on me or assume that I'm going to have the same exact experience as you. She gets on my nerves lol. (When she was pregnant with her first, sshe also had the nerve to say she didn't think I could ever get preegnant! Because me & Mike had been together for a while & never got pregnant, but unlike her, Mike & I weren't ready so took precautions. Her & her boyfriend, who had only been together for a MONTH, never used protection or tried to prevent it which is why she was pregnant) ughh
Your cousin is so obnoxious! Back handed comments are probably my biggest pet peeve.
Shades of Grey likes this.
July 30th, 2012, 04:18 PM
Ohh yeah she's super obnoxious. You also cant get defensive with her, because then she gets offended. She thinks she know everything & that her opinion is the only one that matters.
July 30th, 2012, 04:23 PM
The Truth is out There
Slightly humorous- DH and I were DTD and right as I was getting into it, he comments "Whoa, you are showing!"

I realize it's not fat, and it's baby, but that was not what I wanted to hear, especially right then.

July 30th, 2012, 06:50 PM
Veteran
Oh man, I will second (third? fourth?) the comments about 'when are you going to have that baby?!?' when you are close to your due date and/or late. I was 9 days late with DD and I love my dad but I nearly lost it with him and his comments. As if I have control over the situation! My MIL was visiting/staying with us as well, waiting for baby. I will never forget I got up to use the loo in the middle of the night and she heard me get up. I walk out of the bathroom and she is standing in the doorway asking if everything is ok. ....well, it was until you gave me a heart attack! For almost 2 weeks she wouldn't let me go anywhere or do anything for fear that the baby would come (isn't that the goal here???) I know she was showing that she cared in her own way --- but argh! Let me out of the house!

July 30th, 2012, 10:03 PM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
I know it's a variation of what's already been said... but still couldn't believe this lady said it to me a few days ago...

"You don't even look pregnant. Just chunky."

Wow. Thank-you for that!
lilemma86 and Twist like this.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
July 30th, 2012, 10:39 PM
Super Mommy
lol lyndsay! i feel like that's what i've looked like my whole life! my tummy has definitely grown BUT it just made my whole stomach look round. i was overweight and trying to lose weight and then I found out i was pregnant. so i feel like i'm looking farther than i am. but from seeing your user icon you definitely look pregnant to me! not chunky one bit!

my pet peeve for the moment is a friend who's about 8 months along and all she talks about is her and her baby and what she's going to do with her. i love her to death but can't we talk about my baby for once? i listened paitiently for FIFTEEN WEEKS before I got pregnant. My turn please! and then how she talks about hoping the baby comes out early and how she thinks the baby has "dropped" and how this and that is happening with her stomach and how she just KNOWS the baby will come early just because her sister was premature and i think one of her sisters kids was too. i'm probly just being hormonal with it though cause i haven 2 weeks until i make it to my half way point and she just keeps talking about time dragging by. lol another annoyance is that just because i'm not as far along in pregnancy as you doesn't mean i know LESS than you about it and all the possibilities. Any time i bring some useful information up that might help her out she says "well, every pregnancy is different" and changes topic back to her bump. "/ like i said though probly just hormones. haha

speaking of hormones...this is my number one most HATED/DESPISED/any other negative description you can think of, pet peeve: DH and I will argue. I realize I am being semi-irrational. Or getting super angry over something super small and I let him know I'm being hormonal and to just stop talking to me in order to spare us a fight and stress on me and our son. He tells me I need to control my hormones. As if I have ANY control over them! and then he proceeds to blame me for EVERY argument. i cry over JUSTIN BIEBER! i am talking, snot, gulps, body wrenching sobs type of crying. i DO NOT cry over the Bieber. or anything else for that matter. /sigh.

that and I will say something and he will hear me wrong and tell me i said something completely different. sometimes i really don't remember/say something other than what i mean...but not ALWAYS! and then I start questioning myself about what just came out of my mouth or if it was just a thought. /double sigh.

Long I know. My apologies.
Lyndsey2013 likes this.
July 31st, 2012, 07:27 AM
Lyndsey2013's Avatar Mom to 2 + 3
Twist - that pic was taken the day she said it (in that shirt). I don't think she meant it bad, but ***?!?! you know?!?!
Twist likes this.

Gabriel Tomás, 4/29/14
July 31st, 2012, 08:05 AM
Super Mommy
yes! i totally know! i save people the trouble and tell them "i don't look it, but i'm x amount of weeks. This is my first though so I won't really pop until later in the pregnancy."

and then proceed to change the subject. i am also belly shy. i don't want things touching my belly or anyone looking at it. Used to not care though. hormones. lol
July 31st, 2012, 08:12 AM
BlueJayBaby's Avatar Veteran
"Look how big you are and you're only 5 months! Are you sure there aren't twins in there??" This chick at the wedding I was at this weekend said this to me probably about 4x.

Thanks *Kiliki* for my wonderful siggy
July 31st, 2012, 08:15 AM
Twist, I have a friend like that too! She's actually Mike's cousin's girlfriend. Ever since she found out she was pregnant, all she talks about is being pregnant, or her baby. I mean I talk about being pregnant a lot too, but I don't make everything about me and my baby. She's almost 33 weeks and she's constantly complaining about how bad her back hurts and how uncomfortable she is.which I do understand, I have a really bad back and pregnancy makes it worse, I'm onlyy almsot 22 weeks and for the last couple of days I can barely get out of bed in the morning because my back hurts so bad. Then she's constantly telling me not to do this or not to do that, like "don't drink too much iced tea, because it will give you a kidney infection" because all she drinks basically is iced tea & she's taking antibiotics for a kidney infection, but she's still drinking iced tea. She also wants her baby to come early. Like a month early. She's dueSeptember 19th but wants her baby to come August 13th because that's her boyfriends birthday. She's always updating her fb status about "her baby daddy" this or "her baby daddy" that & its annoying. And she complains about how her baby never stops moving and she can feel everything and its uncomfortable, and how she's too hot and everything like that. She spends most of her time in the AC. She just looks for things to complain about.
July 31st, 2012, 09:49 AM
tricia_16_'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via MSN to tricia_16_
A comment on Facebook from today, "It just looks like you've had too many beer!"

Gee, thanks lol

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search