How does this work?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 11:04 AM
Kaniscooo's Avatar Super Mommy
I went to the Dr. this morning for my 2 week check-up, and someone was having their baby at the hospital so my Dr. literally RUNS into my room, feels my stomach, tells me baby moved and everything feels good, gave me a new prescription and RAN back out. As I was making my next appointment he tells a nurse he'll go ahead and see one more patient and then runs off to that patients room. Well, the waiting room was full, and the midwife was running around with him and obviously attending the birth as well.

Welll... what happens to the other patients that don't get seen that day? Do they just have to reschedule? Just made me curious.

July 31st, 2012, 11:07 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
They usually just get rescheduled. Happens all the time when a doctor is on call. I've had to go home before because my doctor was over delivering and none of the other doctors had space to fit me in.

July 31st, 2012, 11:10 AM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I was just talking about this with my doctor at my last appointment, I mentioned how this is my third pregnancy with her and she's yet to miss one of my appointments for a birth. I guess I've been really lucky.

At my office there's plenty of doctors/nurse practioners to see, so I'd just see one of them.but if there were no one to see you just get rescheduled.

July 31st, 2012, 11:12 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
My practice has 5 OB's, so when you schedule, you don't see the doc that is on call that day, which is nice.
3kids3cats likes this.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

July 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
ditto Katherine, but since im High Risk there is only two OBs i can see out of 5 or so.. but if one is unavailable, i just see the other

but yeah usually just get rescheduled
July 31st, 2012, 11:24 AM
Derby Girl's Avatar Veteran
When this happens I usually see the nurse pratictioner that is working with that Dr.
July 31st, 2012, 11:29 AM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Depends on the office. With the office I am switching from, I was getting rescheduled aallll the time from docs being called to c-sections and stuff.

July 31st, 2012, 11:35 AM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derby Girl View Post
When this happens I usually see the nurse pratictioner that is working with that Dr.
same here. It's only happened once so far. They office has 5 docs and 2 NPs so they're usually able to shuffle things around and cover all the appointments. Worst thing that can happen is you might have to wait extra.

baby Roger @ 7 months

July 31st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Veteran
I've been given the choice of waiting, rescheduling or seeing a different doctor/practicioner. I'm actually surprised it doesn't happen more often!
July 31st, 2012, 12:02 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Through my 4 pregnancies, so far, Ive had to reschedule once due to an emergency c section. If it does happen, and one of the other 2 docs can fit you in, they will ask if youd like to reschedule with your doc or see one of the others. Ive been lucky so far, though

July 31st, 2012, 12:08 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My OB is never on call when he is at the office. So I've never had an appointment rescheduled. Most of the dr's here work in groups at the hospital, so you see the same dr during your pregnancy, but delivery can be whatever dr is on call. (if your induced, you can chose a day when your OB is working).

July 31st, 2012, 12:51 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
I have had this happen once during my first pregnancy. Since it's the University, they sent a resident in to fill time until my doctor was done delivering since he was on call.

July 31st, 2012, 01:11 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
My doctor was on-call at my last appointment. When they're on-call, I have the option of rescheduling or going to the office thats next to the hospital. I chose to go to the hospital office last time, and my doc saw me in scrubs, complete with scrub cap! She didn't rush me though

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

July 31st, 2012, 05:07 PM
Almondeyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Almondeyes
My regular OB has four in the practice and one is always on call but not on the schedule. My high risk dr doesn't deliver so I will never miss an appointment and will always get my u/s and cervical checks.

July 31st, 2012, 05:30 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
This is why I don't schedule appts at the hospital location unless I absolutely have to! If my OB is in the other office she's not on call and another doctor is at the hospital that day. I've had my OB run late by an hour or more a couple of times (I feel bad those days because I figure she must be giving bad news on those days), but have always been seen.

July 31st, 2012, 06:50 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Well, in my small town, my doc is the only OB at our little hospital (there are some family doctors who deliver babies but his office is separate from theirs). So, if he's delivering a baby, you either wait or reschedule.

Happened to me today, but fortunately he was finishing up, and I only had to wait about 45 minutes to see him. He had done 3 deliveries in the past 24 hours (which doesn't happen very often), and offices visits were piling up, but luckily I didn't show up until a lot of the others had already rescheduled and left!

July 31st, 2012, 09:13 PM
newserenity's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
With my first DD when I was 38 weeks my OB had to deliver a baby and they made me wait for him to come back! I literally waited like 2-3 hours! I tried to reschedule and they said I really needed to be seen since I was so far along! I was SO mad!

August 1st, 2012, 06:30 AM
Platinum Supermommy
My OB doesn't reschedule you just wait. So far i've only had to wait once and it was like an hour.

He only does appointments from 1-5pm so does all his scheduled C-Sections etc in the mornings. If someone goes into labor he leaves and comes back. He only delivers at 2 hospitals both are within 10 minutes from his practice.
August 1st, 2012, 06:38 AM
Mega Super Mommy
With the dr I'm at now I've never had a super long wait or been rescheduled. He's delivered my kids from the 3rd on. But his office is a few floors down from the maternity ward, a year ago this hospital stopped delivering, and the hospital he delivers at is about 25 minutes from here, but I still haven't had a wait. My high risk dr's are at the hospital I will deliver a and I wait for them all the time!

August 1st, 2012, 07:28 AM
Veteran
At the practice I go to, there are 3 doctors and 1 NP. All the doctors deliver their own patients no matter if it's after hours or during office hours (just not on the weekends) which I love because I love my doctor. If she gets called to a delivery though, I'll see the NP.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search