My cervix is shortening :(

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes
  • 3 Post By ~Tanya~
  • 1 Post By Almondeyes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 12:54 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I know some of you guys have experience with this.... can anyone give me advice or just tell me what to expect or anything? My doctor basically told me NOTHING (not even what my actual measurement is but i think i saw 2.7 on the screen) just to come back in 10 days and get it checked again. I'm so terrified i'm not even at least going to make it to the point when my son was born (25 weeks 4 days, exactly three weeks from now)...

July 31st, 2012, 01:16 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Oh no! Im sorry you have to worry about this

My OB said she doesn't get concerned until it's below 2.5... That said, 2.7 is a low measurement for 22 weeks... Was it an abdominal or transvaginal scan? If it's an abdominal, I would put myself on bedrest. Measurements are more accurate with the TVU- for perspective, mine measured 1.9 one week via a TVU, with the abdominal it was measuring 2.5...

Can you call the office and ask for the measurement?

Thank you Katie (.:Shortcake:.) for my beautiful siggy!!

July 31st, 2012, 01:20 PM
Platinum Supermommy
I am trying to call them and ask right now but sometimes they take forever to get back to me... who knows if they will today It was a TV u/s

Okay, i guess i was totally off and its 2.1... now that seems super low and she didnt even seem that concerned yet?

July 31st, 2012, 01:28 PM
Platinum Supermommy
2.1 is a low measurement... At 22 weeks it's still supposed to be up about 3.5-4. I have heard that some Dr's don't get worried till it's under 2.

Do you have a high risk dr?

The cervix can grow back some, so my immediate advice is to get off your feet & self impose bedrest. Try to sit/stand as little as possible.

July 31st, 2012, 01:31 PM
Platinum Supermommy
yeah i see a mfm doc because of my sons delivery. from what i'm understanding about what the receptionist said my average has been 2.18 though, im so frazzled right now im going to try to call back again tomorrow again and make sure i heard correctly... the number she said for my average didnt seem that far off from what i measured today. sigh, i have no one to help me with my son

July 31st, 2012, 01:35 PM
Platinum Supermommy
If it's been holding steady, that might be your "norm" & might be why your dr isn't worried. Just try to take it as easy as possible, keeping hydrated & use the restroom at regular intervals so no unneeded pressure is on your cervix. I wish your dr would have explained better why he wasn't worried about the measurement... It must be especially unnerving considering you've had a preemie.

July 31st, 2012, 01:43 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Thank you, it is at my anatomy scan 3 weeks ago she even commented that it was "lookin great!" so if my average really is only that much slightly higher why is it so much smaller then average it the first place! UGH!! (hypothetical question of course i know you dont know that )

July 31st, 2012, 04:21 PM
Almondeyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Almondeyes
I agree with Tanya, I would go on bed rest till you see your OB again. My high risk dr doesn't like anything under 2.5. I'm on meds which is helping keep my cervix lengthen. Maybe you can ask about meds you can take.
Cocoa Sashimi likes this.

July 31st, 2012, 04:26 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry you're dealing with this. I don't have any advice, but just wanted to let you know I was thinking of you and hope that you're able to keep this little one baking!

July 31st, 2012, 05:56 PM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
At my first Level II ultrasound (17 weeks) my cervix measured 2.3. My MFM didn't say a word about it or seemed the least bit concerned. At my follow up ultrasound it measured 3.0 (22 weeks). I guess some dr dont get concerned unless it gets below 2. Hopefully it will lenghten some before yournext ultrasound.

July 31st, 2012, 07:46 PM
Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhill4455 View Post
At my first Level II ultrasound (17 weeks) my cervix measured 2.3. My MFM didn't say a word about it or seemed the least bit concerned. At my follow up ultrasound it measured 3.0 (22 weeks). I guess some dr dont get concerned unless it gets below 2. Hopefully it will lenghten some before yournext ultrasound.

were you on bedrest or anything during that time? do they still check you now?if it gets long can it then get short again?

July 31st, 2012, 09:17 PM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
Gah! I leave for one day and this happens? Did you have your regular u/s tech? I think some are really just that much better at getting measurements, so if t was a bad tech, they may not be as concerned.
Caroline - November '12

July 31st, 2012, 09:59 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Has your doctor been measuring your cervix length regularly during this pregnancy? I know that is something my doctor had me doing once I got past twelve weeks due to my previous preterm labor. I would agree with the other ladies and get off your feet as much as possible to alleviate pressure on your cervix, and definitely see if your doctor will return your call. Good luck!

August 1st, 2012, 05:17 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I don't remember my numbers but I was put on bedrest several times with DS. It was very hard as I had no one to look after DD.. so I just did modified bedrest... I laid down as much as possible with a toddler.
August 1st, 2012, 05:44 AM
Mega Super Mommy
No experiance, but I'll pray that everything is ok!

August 1st, 2012, 05:58 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sam914 View Post
were you on bedrest or anything during that time? do they still check you now?if it gets long can it then get short again?
No not on bedrest or anything. My MFM dr. Checks my cervix length at every appointment. I see her once a month right now. I would assume that the cervix length can get short again. In all honesty I have no idea. I don't relly know much aout cervix lengths. Never knew the length of my cervix with past pregnancies.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search