has the doctor commented on your weight?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree6Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
July 31st, 2012, 04:49 PM
KarenHaley's Avatar Veteran
I went for my 22 week check up today and the doctor told me I hadn't gained enough weight in the past two months, and that I need to gain 1lb each week from now on. I was already overweight to begin with, the idea of gaining 17 more lbs is hard to bare! I am only 4lbs behind what she wants me to be, I don't feel that's enough to comment on. I'm actually eating like a pig already, so I'm not sure what else I'm supposed to do.

Have you gotten any comments?

July 31st, 2012, 05:00 PM
Veteran
Dr's are often uptight about this and it can depend on so many things. I gained lots more with my boys than I did with my girls and my boys were both early and tiny. my girls went close to due date and were a healthier weight. don't let it worry you too much. As long as the baby is growing thats what matters.
July 31st, 2012, 05:05 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
I had only gained a pound last visit, so I'm still at -9, and I started out at an average weight. My doctor isn't concerned because the baby is growing perfectly. The only thing she said about it to me was to see if I wasn't gaining still from m/s and if I needed more Zofran. I'm not sure why your doctor is so concerned about it. If you are eating fairly healthy and the baby is growing, I don't know what the problem is. If you don't gain by next visit, I think you should try to retain a bunch of water before your apt and wear some heavy clothes

July 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
KarenHaley's Avatar Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlh27 View Post
If you don't gain by next visit, I think you should try to retain a bunch of water before your apt and wear some heavy clothes
LOL, love this idea!

July 31st, 2012, 05:13 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Yeah that's pretty weird to me too. I've just barely started gaining at all and I'd lost 20. My MWs haven't cared at all. Don't listen to that dr...if you were two lbs over he'd probably say something too.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

July 31st, 2012, 05:20 PM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Mine hasn't even said anything and I'm down 11 and having twins...as long as the baby is growing I would not try to gain any faster then you have to...less to lose later...

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

July 31st, 2012, 06:51 PM
Miss Kelly's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My doc said she would like me to gain a pound a week but as long as baby is growing correctly, I don't care

July 31st, 2012, 07:05 PM
taatie10's Avatar New Mommy & Pro Auntee
No but I havent been in 4 weeks. I go on Friday for my next appt. Well see what I weigh now and see what happens. My scale at home says about 11-12 lbs so I'm hoping their scale says the same.

July 31st, 2012, 07:09 PM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
Mine has just asked if my weight gain has been "good" because he was worried about all the nausea but didn't seem to care one way or the other when I told him I was down like 9ish lbs.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
July 31st, 2012, 07:44 PM
Super Mommy
Mine never says anything about my weight. The only time he did was with my 6th pregnancy at the very end he commented that I had only gained 21 lbs and that it was pretty impressive. But when I gained 80 lbs with my 5th pregnancy he said nothing about my weight the entire time.

July 31st, 2012, 09:28 PM
Veteran
My weight is driving me crazy cause I am not gaining any either but I was overweight to begin with my doctor has not been concerned but he was very happy to see my 1lb weight gain last appointment. Since then I am down 7 more. I am totally not doing it on purpose.

July 31st, 2012, 09:32 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I get bummed out reading these because I feel like I'm the only one thats gained anything. I'm up between 15-17 lbs depending on the day. My last appt I had a huge jump of ten pounds and it looks like at my Thursday appt there won't be much of anything (maybe a pound, depending on my water situation). He did mention the big jump this last appt but said I was still in the normal range.

Don't get offended if I'm not responding anymore to these threads. It seriously depresses me a little so I need to quit worrying about it and comparing myself to everyone else.
LindseyF likes this.

Daffney

July 31st, 2012, 09:41 PM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I am still right about where I was when I started, maybe up a few pounds. The only thing he said last appt was 'thats not surprising with how sick you've been'. That was 5 weeks ago though. I still havent gained anymore than that, I have an appt on thursday so I guess we'll see.

Thank you *Kiliki* for my awesome siggy!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
July 31st, 2012, 09:47 PM
Veteran
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post
I get bummed out reading these because I feel like I'm the only one thats gained anything. I'm up between 15-17 lbs depending on the day. My last appt I had a huge jump of ten pounds and it looks like at my Thursday appt there won't be much of anything (maybe a pound, depending on my water situation). He did mention the big jump this last appt but said I was still in the normal range.

Don't get offended if I'm not responding anymore to these threads. It seriously depresses me a little so I need to quit worrying about it and comparing myself to everyone else.
I am really sorry hun I no it is rough to put on weight just remember it is diffrent for everyone. I am already a big girl 210lbs is not healthy. If you were smaller when you got pregnant your body needs to gain weight for you to be healthy. It is rough either way I just want my baby to be healthy and I feel like the baby is starving cause I am losing so much weight. Its scary. I hate that anything that is posted makes you unhappy and thank you for letting us know. It is important that you feel comfortable here even if you don't post on the thread. Just make sure you keep posting in other places and remember this is a safe place to post about anything that is bothering you. No judgment it helps me to know I am not the only one with that problem.

July 31st, 2012, 10:24 PM
Mega Super Mommy
That's whats hard for me though, I'm not smaller. With my first I was 160 or so before and ended at 228 And with my second I started around 170 and ended at 230. With this one I started around 198 and now am about 216. I've actually done MUCH better with this pregnancy than I did my other two eating and excercise wise. But I'm desperately trying to keep it at the 230 mark. It's scary, but not uncharted territory for me so at least I feel like I can come back from that. Anything more scares the living crap out of me. It's frustrating because I've been super sick too. It's getting better, but still....*sigh*. I just need to quit comparing myself to others is all. I know the other end can be just as frustrating. It's just a really hard thing for me is all.
LindseyF and jpjmom like this.

Daffney

August 1st, 2012, 03:50 AM
Super - Mommy's Avatar Super Mommy
Doctor hasn't said anything to me but I haven't been there in a month, I go tomorrow. I've only gained 1 MAYBE 2 pounds in the last month.... which brings my whole total in this pregnancy so far only to 8 pounds.
August 1st, 2012, 08:17 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
I haven't gained any weight (gained 2 pounds last month, lost 2 pounds this month but Im pretty sure it was all poop). My doctor didn't say anything one way or the other but considering Im already overweight, Im pretty happy that I havent gained too fast and that is just less weight i have to worry about losing later. Thankfully i havent had much M/S and Im eating plenty so I dont feel like I not getting nourishment.

When you look at the stats it seems to say that if you are overweight you should only gain about 20lbs max anyway. If you figure you real expansion time is the second half, not gaining much at the start is a plus. Honestly I dont think i have much control over the weight thing. All I can do is try not to overeat and maintain a balanced diet. Some people gain a lot and some people gain less - its really random to me.

When I gained the 2 pounds last month, my doctor did comment that it was "good". Not sure if he meant it was good that I had only gained 2 or that it was good that I had gained something but since he didnt say anything when the 2 lbs disappeared, Ill assume the latter. All that said, my doctor is pretty laid back so I dont think he would be too worried either way.

August 1st, 2012, 08:45 AM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
Mine was the opposite. My doc said that I need to keep an eye on my weight, at my last appointment. She didn't say it was bad yet, but to watch it.

So Daffney, don't feel bad! You're not the only one gaining!
LindseyF likes this.

August 1st, 2012, 09:37 AM
Nervous Newbie's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by daffneyc View Post

I am right there with ya. I have actually lost a lot of my appetite lately and don't want to eat and have still managed to gain 15 lbs already and I am only 5'0 tall Plus I started at like 150. I had this whole plan in my head to lose about 15 lbs before we got pregnant, but the whole thing happened way faster than I though it would, I didn't even have a chance to attempt to lose weight. My Dr hasn't said anything to me yet and I was just there last Friday so hopefully it doesn't get too outta hand.
LindseyF likes this.
August 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
IamVillanueva's Avatar Veteran
I'm suprised my doc hasn't said anything. At my 20 week appt, I had gained 20 lbs. I expected her to say something, but I'm glad she didnt. I started at 138, so I don't have any excuse for the weight gain. I still workout 3-4 times per week. I never gained weight this fast before, but I'm not really worried. It'll suck when it's time to lose it all, but I'll just go back to counting calories like I did before the baby.
LindseyF likes this.
DD#1 Isadora 8 yrs old
DD#2 Maya 5 yrs old
EDD 12/3/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search