Tips

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree19Likes
  • 1 Post By Shadeauxe
  • 1 Post By queenofthecastle
  • 1 Post By shanirah
  • 5 Post By just_em
  • 3 Post By ub33422
  • 1 Post By adi&co.
  • 3 Post By philly78
  • 2 Post By shanirah
  • 2 Post By shanirah

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2012, 05:03 AM
Shadeauxe's Avatar It's me
If you've got 'em, share 'em. Doesn't have to be baby related.

--------------------------------------------------------------

Salad Tip
I eat salads at work every day for lunch because it's the easiest way for me to get my vegetables and they have a decent salad bar. I also like the creamy dressings, but I usually avoid them because I use too much and I hate the dipping on the side thing. Recently, I've taken to filling a dressing bowl (tiny things the cafeteria gives us) halfway with red wine vinegar and the other half with a creamy dressing. I mix the two up really well and pour it over the salad. The dressing becomes super runny from the vinegar and spreads well, so I don't use as much and I still have some of the creamy flavor too. I personally love vinegar, so the half/half works well for me. The ratio can be adjusted to taste.
adi&co. likes this.
August 1st, 2012, 08:03 AM
queenofthecastle's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
When Cameron takes his morning nap, I prepare dinner. I not guaranteed time to do it later in the day.
Shadeauxe likes this.

=May '05 and '11

August 1st, 2012, 08:32 AM
shanirah's Avatar Mommy Strawberry
Same, but we usually cook in a crock pot, so that is when I do that meal.

We are movie fiends here and rarely sell anything like movies, books, cd's and such. Our 'coffee table' is a wooden trunk and we have about 5 cd cases of movies inside it, it keeps them all out of the way and saves room. Of course, we have tossed all the dvd cases away, but in our family it doesn't matter.
Shadeauxe likes this.

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order.” The Doctor

August 1st, 2012, 10:54 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
A baby-related one: double-make the crib. Waterproof pad, sheet, pad, sheet. If there's an INCIDENT in the middle of the night, you only have to strip off the top set and you're good to go!

A non-baby related one: rubber gloves help get pet hair off of furniture, etc. Slap one on your hand and swipe at whatever. Rinse and repeat.

August 1st, 2012, 11:38 AM
I'm going to have to try the glove one!
August 1st, 2012, 11:40 AM
just_em's Avatar TANSTAAFL!
The super-cheapie latex ones from the dollar store work pretty well. It's not a cure-all, but if you've got a super-shedder, it helps.

August 1st, 2012, 12:03 PM
I'll have to get the higher priced non-latex ones, but I have to try that, the cat hair is outrageous! And that's a good idea on the sheets in the crib, I'll have to do that!

August 2nd, 2012, 08:09 PM
Veteran
When you boil water in the microwave - stick a wooden chopstick or a wooden skewer in the cup / bowl. It'll boil the water without making the vessel hot to the touch.
adi&co., shanirah and philly78 like this.
August 2nd, 2012, 08:57 PM
adi&co.
You know those plastic shoe hanger things that you stick on the back of your door? put them in the bathroom on the door and put all the bathroom stuff in it so you have more counter space.

oh and if you have a small amount of clothes that you want to dry quickly, put a dry towel in the drier with them and they'll dry faster
Shadeauxe likes this.
August 3rd, 2012, 07:36 AM
Veteran
Ok...here are a few pertaining to dryer sheets. After having the babe, I invested in some wool dryer balls and I liked them so I gave up using dryer sheets. I had some left and didn't want to just throw them out so I found new ways to use them. Here goes!

You can place a dryer sheet in each shoe overnight to help with odors.

Used dryer sheets work very well to clean your computer and TV screens. I also found that wetting them and cleaning the fixtures on the sink in the bathroom leaves it sparkling! Who knew?

You can also scrub the windshield of your car. It does an awesome job removing those dead bugs.
Shadeauxe, adi&co. and shanirah like this.
August 3rd, 2012, 08:14 AM
I use those dryer balls too. A few years ago I made christmas cards and I used those used dryer sheets and put them over my landscape picture with some light blue stamped snowflakes on them, it made it look like a snowy day!
Shadeauxe and philly78 like this.

August 3rd, 2012, 10:26 AM
I just ordered some dryer balls. Thanks for the tip!
August 3rd, 2012, 10:32 PM
I can't use liquid fabric softener (I'm allergic) and we can't use the sheets with the cloth diapers so we got the balls. And I just giggled as I read the end of that sentence "so we got the balls".
TnPhotoMama81 and Shadeauxe like this.

August 4th, 2012, 12:18 PM
Veteran
If you have a mini crockpot that's just sitting around - to get rid of smells in the house, put half vinegar & half water, plug it in and the smells should disappear in no time!. (watch the water level though - once it gets halfway just top up with more water)

I do this coz I'm not a fan of the candles or the air freshener thingys...
August 6th, 2012, 01:56 AM
zaynsmomma's Avatar Super Mommy
Save money by making your own laundry detergent. We started doing this right before Kaylin was born. There are a ton of recipes for powder or liquid. We use the powder because it's super quick to make and works great in our HE washer.

The recipe I use is:
5lb box borax
5lb box washing soda (NOT baking soda)
5lb box Oxy clean (I bought some off brand for cheaper)
1 or 2 boxes (to preference) of Zote chips.

Mix it all together in a large trash bag as best you can and then divide into containers. (I use those 5lb ice cream containers) All ingredients cost about $15 depending on where you get them and if you get name brands. We made our first (and only) batch in March of this year and still have a TON left. I use the plastic scoop from the Oxy Clean and put only 1 scoop in per load. IN HE washers you should put it in the barrel not in the top where it says to put detergent.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search