matron of honor dress DISASTER.

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2012, 10:47 AM
mlc52811's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
So, I'm the matron of honor for my good friend's wedding on the 11th (matron of honor sounds so unappealing haha) and I totally forgot about the dress I had ordered pre-pregnancy. It's a structured, strapless dress with a full, knee length skirt. I just tried it on and it will NOT ZIP UP. My boobs/ribcage have gotten so huge, it's seriously a disaster. And the wedding is so soon! I already had planned to add straps so I could wear a real bra, but now I don't know what to do. Are any of you savvy with altering? Is there hope for me? Can I add some fabric in the size zipper area to extend it? I'm panicking.

I can't find the exact dress, but it's EXTREMELY similar to this one: Ann Taylor - AT Bridesmaid Dresses - Silk Taffeta Strapless Bridesmaid Dress

August 1st, 2012, 10:59 AM
Wishinfor2ndblessing's Avatar Super Mommy
Send a message via Yahoo to Wishinfor2ndblessing
Did you buy it from a bridal shop... normally you can take it there and have it altered?

A BIG thank you to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!

August 1st, 2012, 11:03 AM
Twist's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
that's a cute dress! i'd wear it even if i wasn't a bridesmaid power to the girl who picked it!

and i think if you take to to the place you got it they might be able to help you. i would call them. that's your best bet! good luck!

August 1st, 2012, 11:04 AM
It was bought on sale, and the bride bought it for me. This is just awful. I'm having a meltdown. gahhhhh

August 1st, 2012, 11:08 AM
usually even if its bought on sale they can alter it for you..... did you call 'em and see if its possible????

August 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Well it's not from a bridal shop, it's just from Ann Taylor, and it was purchased online. I had ordered two sizes bigger, too.

August 1st, 2012, 11:10 AM
Shades of Grey's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I think there is hope. I'd start calling alterations places, maybe bring it in to a couple and see what they say they can do.

I was in my best friends wedding last month. My dress was a nightmare too, but it was too big. It looked like a tent, really. The grooms mom did take it in some but was afraid to do too much to it because it didnt arrive until 5 days before the wedding and she isnt a professional. I had to put it on, safty pin several places, cut a few so it would lay flat-ish, then use double sided sticky tape to try and keep it on and where its supposed to be. it was miserable... I hope you can get yours figured out!!

I am peace, full of unconditional love. I am confident and in tune with the Divine, receptive to guidance.
August 1st, 2012, 11:37 AM
Caleb's Mommy!
Ask around for a good seamstress. The one that did my wedding gown was just a local lady that ran a little place from her house. She did a great job and it was very cheap! Plus the turn around was extremely quick. I bet there's somebody in your area that could help you out.
Due with #2 on July 10

August 1st, 2012, 11:42 AM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yup...definitely will need a professional seemstress for that one! Altering can get VERY expensive if you go to bridal shops...so I would avoid that if possible. Go to a few dry cleaning shops in your area...a mom and pop shop is best. Usually they have a seemstress on premises and it will cost you A LOT less if you go that route! Good luck...and it is a very pretty dress!

Our family is complete

August 1st, 2012, 11:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by *treefrog* View Post
Yup...definitely will need a professional seemstress for that one! Altering can get VERY expensive if you go to bridal shops...so I would avoid that if possible. Go to a few dry cleaning shops in your area...a mom and pop shop is best. Usually they have a seemstress on premises and it will cost you A LOT less if you go that route! Good luck...and it is a very pretty dress!
I agree..... Hopefully a professional seemstress will be able to help... Fxd!!

August 1st, 2012, 11:47 AM
I just checked the seams inside and there is literally NO extra fabric. WHAT THE HECK. And there is even a special tag that says "We do not accept returns on Bridal gowns or Bridesmaid dresses". I'm having a nightmare.

August 1st, 2012, 12:17 PM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
OK - first step - BREATHE!!! This can be managed - it's a dress and there is a ton that can be done.

If you have a tailor/seamstress you like - I would head there first to get their recommendation. If there is absolutely no fabric to increase the seams - they most likely will suggest getting the most closely matching fabric (or possibly a bit of stretchy material/elastic if it's just at the top) you can to add some inches.

Also - there are plenty of strapless bras for larger breasts that also help compress them a bit. My current favorite is by Fantasie and seriously - my boobs don't move all day. (Actually I've found that my bump now kinda holds the strapless bra up more than before - SCORE!)

My biggest suggestion, is to get into action now. The more time you give the seamstress for alterations and finding fabric the better. Also - if you have to order a bra online, you still have a chance for no rush shipping.

I know my BFF was 7 months prego at my wedding - and she was super stressed that the dress would not fit. I could not convince her enough that I totally would understand if the day came and she couldn't fit. It's not like she was intentionally trying to ruin my day. If after the discussion with the seamstress there is absolutely no salvaging the dress - as a bride - I would rather my friend find something similar to wear that fit, than not being there at all.

and keep BREATHING!!

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

August 1st, 2012, 12:42 PM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Assuming its okay with the bride, you could always alter it so that the waist is higher up above your bump and the poofy part is around your belly.

August 1st, 2012, 01:27 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Given you have less than 2 weeks, I'd opt for option B. Call your friend and ask if you can get another dress. Then go to somewhere like David's bridal that sells maternity formal wear and get a new dress. You are going to spend more money and time trying to get that one adjusted.

If she is dead set for that dress, call Ann Taylor and order the largest size available. It's easier to take in than out. Their site states exchanges are allowed. I'd do this after option 1 though.

I was in a wedding 9 years ago when I was 8months pg. Thankfully I was able to use a maternity one. Mine needed to be taken in since I ordered bigger than I needed. I left extra space since I didn't know how much I would change day to day and wanted room to move. I feel your pain. Thankfully I had a nice suggestion from her bridal adviser that strongly suggested maternity dress.

August 1st, 2012, 02:08 PM
Cassie.S's Avatar Sophia's Mommy!
I agree, see if there's any way you can quickly find a similar maternity style. If not, take it to a seamstress asap! They can help you if you give them plenty of time. Good luck!

Cassie, wife to Andrew, mommy to Sophia and expecting baby Landon in Feb!

{Our family blog}

August 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM
crystalcherry's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
check with dry cleaners. They can usually get it taken care of quicker than someone that works on alterations all of the time.

August 1st, 2012, 08:59 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Agreed with the dry cleaners...they have great seamstresses ususally.

When I got my wedding dress I was broke and bought one at a clearance for a store going out of business. It was WAY too small but my mother is a seamstress. She added two(one on each side) panels of similar fabric to the sides and it looked absolutely like it went with the dress. It didn't look out of place. Most places will do a rush order on alterations with just an added fee...sucks but may be worth it to get the right dress to fit. I'm sorry you're dealing with this! It's so hard to do weddings pregnant! Ugh.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search