OT - who is up for a healthy/friendly discussion?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree40Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 1st, 2012, 07:22 PM
LindsayGriff
Disclaimer: If this is against rules, please take down. If it gets unfriendly, please stop it and close the thread, that is not my intention.

I was curious what people's opinions on the Chick-fil-A debate were and why?

My opinion is I stand behind the Chick-fil-A owner and feel like he is getting harrassed just for having an opinion on a controversial subject. I feel many people at one time (high profile people) including the president at one point said they believed that marriage should be between a man and woman but yet these people arent getting ridiculed for their opinions like the Chick-fil-A owner is. I think it is obvious that you can tell that the owner is a man of christian faith and probably strong christian faith as he has his stores closed on Sundays, which in the Christian faith is a day of rest. He never got ridiculed for doing this and no one questioned his right to close his store on Sundays. He never once bashed gay marriage and he doesn't discriminate againt gays by not letting them work in his store or eat in his store.

So, all in all, I guess regardless of your opinion on gay marriage, do you think that a high profile person has a right to publicly express their opinion on a controversial subject.

Thank you peimum for my siggy

Last edited by LindsayGriff; August 3rd, 2012 at 06:24 AM.
August 1st, 2012, 07:34 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I feel everyone has the privileged to exercise their first amendment right.

I feel there is way bigger things for the media to focus on... hey, how bout something positive?

August 1st, 2012, 07:37 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm in MA so it's a really big topic here.

I feel like it's his right to have his own opinion, even though I don't happen to agree with him.

I can enjoy the food without agreeing with his beliefs.
LiamsMother likes this.

August 1st, 2012, 07:38 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Yes, EVERY person has a right to express their opinion no matter what their position, job title, etc is. It's called the first amendment!

Not to mention he was point blank ASKED what his opinion was about it, and like you said, CFA is known for their Christian beliefs so I am very surprised that there is so much controversy about it. Where I think the wrong lies is when the politicians in Boston and Chicago said that they weren't going to grant CFA land rights, which is complete BS bc someone's personal beliefs aren't in the requirements of doing so, and that was completely out of line. They have since taken back those statements, but if it was up to politicians about what could be built where based on personal beliefs, we would have much bigger problems. It's his company, his money, he can support any belief he wants . CFA doesn't discriminate against gay employees or patrons, and as ling as they dont, I have no issue with it, and actually admire him for actually sticking up for what he believes no matter the backlash.

I also think it is every individuals right to choose to boycott or not, but I think it's ridiculous on both sides of the argument. Christians were boycotting JC Penney and Ben & Jerrys bc of their pro-gay marriage stance, and now the other side is boycotting CFA for their stance. Is everyone going to ask for the owners or executive boards personal beliefs before buying a product or using a service? Bc if you choose to boycott one of these "hot news" companies recently but not look into other companies (and there are quite a few common ones with the same view as CFA) that is pretty hypocritical. Personally I am going to continue to enjoy CFA AND Ben & Jerrys. I think this whole "us against them" mentality actually hurts the cause on both sides
August 1st, 2012, 07:44 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I don't know why people care so much that an "openly" devout conservative Christian owning an "openly" conservative Christian-based corporation when asked about his stance on marriage openly stated that he supports the traditional, conservative, and biblical view on a marriage being between a man and a woman. The bible is his doctrine, why is it such a surprise that he follows it and believes in it? Some may not agree with this perspective/doctrine and he isn't telling everyone they need to agree with him in order to eat or work at his restaurant, heck many Christians don't even agree with his stance because they aren't as conservative in their beliefs. He simply stated his beliefs. I find it admirable that he stands by what he believes in because I'm sure he knew that he would get backlash.
I don't even know why people are up in arms about HOW he stated his beliefs. It's not as if he made a blanket judgement on homosexuality or as if he discriminated. All he said was, "We are very much supportive of the family — the biblical definition of the family unit." He did not say anything hateful about the homosexual community. He expressed a conviction rooted in his Christian faith.

Even so, I think there is a lot of hypocrisy in the whole debate. Do people check to see what the religious/moral background of every owner of every company before dealing with their product?? I don't know who created gatorade or what they believe in, but I am chugging gatorade like crazy lately. And why can't the owner of a company donate proceeds to organizations that he wants to support?

All of that aside, Chick Fil A IMO is a stand up organization. They have quality food and customer service. Whenever I go to Chick Fil A they bring me a highchair and a kids place mat, they come and refill my drinks, if I have my hands full they bring me my food, and they are always friendly. I think they have exceptional standards for a fast food company. Not to mention the restaurants are always clean and tidy. Plus, they give back to their community. They are always doing fundraisers for good causes and the local school/vets.

If I want to eat a Chicken Sandwich (which are amazing btw)!), then I will. And I will also drink Starbucks.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]

Last edited by white.house; August 1st, 2012 at 07:47 PM.
August 1st, 2012, 07:49 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Quote:
Originally Posted by LindsayGriff View Post
So, all in all, I guess regardless of your opinion on gay marriage, do you think that a high profile person has a right to publicly express their opinion on a controversial subject.
As a former member of the military, I support everyone's First Amendment rights. As Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote it in her biography on Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

With that being stated, I have no pity if a high profile person publicly expresses his/her opinion on a controversial subject and gets lambasted by the public for it. He/she chose to make a public statement on a subject he/she knew would stir people's emotion. That's what he/she gets.
tinx likes this.

August 1st, 2012, 07:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cocoa Sashimi View Post
As a former member of the military, I support everyone's First Amendment rights. As Evelyn Beatrice Hall wrote it in her biography on Voltaire, "I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."

With that being stated, I have no pity if a high profile person publicly expresses his/her opinion on a controversial subject and gets lambasted by the public for it. He/she chose to make a public statement on a subject he/she knew would stir people's emotion. That's what he/she gets.
That's the thing though, he wasn't going around spewing his beliefs or rubbing them in people's faces or anything like that. He was point-blank asked what he believed, by people who knew very well what the answer would be. I don't feel bad for him either, but he didn't just go up and make a statement about anything until asked specifically about that issue. I would say he would more deserve what he gets had he been out advertising his viewpoint, etc.
August 1st, 2012, 08:06 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Honestly, this is a non-issue for me because I just don't eat there. I don't find the food appealing. However, I have a gay, married (in some states), Southern friend who LOVES Chick-Fil-A, and he could care less over the controversy. If I based all my shopping decisions on political issues, viewpoints of people within that company, and all that then I might as well start homesteading.

August 1st, 2012, 08:07 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I think the whole thing is ridicules for the last several boycotts honestly and the worst part is most of it isnt even for reasons anymore its because its popular to post on your face book that you "stand for something".

If its stupid when straight ppl boycott oreo why is it not stupid when gay ppl boycott chickfilla.

if its preachy when gay ppl make rainbow oreo pride apparel why is it not preachy when straight ppl have eat at chickfila day.

the double standards and anti-acceptance run both ways even though they are what everyone is supposedly fighting. to me the whole chickfila debate is a waste of time its just like The KONY movement and everything else that happens lately it will make waves for a few weeks and no-one will remember by 2013.

the sad part is its pointless crap like this that damages the legitimacy of actual movements and causes. its hard to fight for rights when idiots using your name keep debasing the very things you stand for.

August 1st, 2012, 08:35 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
i dont know chiz about it, so i don't really care LOL... i know ive heard of an issue but haven't cared enough to read about it

but if people have a problem with them, then don't/stop eating there and stfu about it lol.. simple as that lol
August 1st, 2012, 08:48 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Chick-Fil-A is chemically-laden garbage. McDonalds ingredients are actually more natural!
If you want to eat crap, then it's your right to give or withhold your $ to a business that will contribute to issues you do/don't believe in.

#1. I choose not to eat crap.
#2. I can't believe it's 2012 and people don't have the right to marry who they want.
#3. Blame straight people, they are the ones who keep having gay babies!

August 1st, 2012, 09:07 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I am so tired of how overblown this topic has become. I think what irritates me about it is that a lot of my friends on FB are taking it too far. The fact of the matter is, this man stated his opinion in a non-judgmental way. And in today's society, because his answer -- his own personal opinion -- was unpopular (although, it should've been expected), he's all of a sudden this hateful, bigot of a person, and his company is discriminatory. Its probably the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard of. Tolerance is huge right now, but I don't understand this double standard when it comes to the gay and lesbian community.

Honestly, as a Christian woman, I stand behind Dan Cathy and what he said. I too believe that marriage should be between a man and a woman. Its what the bible teaches. I have gay friends and family members. Do I hate them? Not at all! I love them! Their sexual preference doesn't affect me, or my life, in any way, shape or form. Just because I believe what I do doesn't make me hateful. They live their lives how they choose to.

A couple friends of mine (Magda being one!) found this blog post that I think is awesome.

Ben & Jerry’s, Chick-fil-A & Political Correctness | Perry Noble | Senior Pastor, NewSpring Church
BlndGrl8 likes this.

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

August 1st, 2012, 09:12 PM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
Arwen I think you are my long lost sister!!! lol

I don't have time to look up every single product and corporation, but I do try to avoid supporting products/corporations if their stance becomes public for whatever reason and I find it unethical or distasteful. I "vote with my feet/wallet". The guy could have said "no comment". I fully support his (and everyones) right to free speech and thought. I also know I'll never personaly darken his doorway.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
August 1st, 2012, 09:20 PM
His answer of "no comment" would have been accepted for all of 2 milliseconds and probably caused even more backlash, lol.

Now I am actually craving a grilled chicken club thanks to this thread!!!
August 1st, 2012, 09:30 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by meddleman View Post
Now I am actually craving a grilled chicken club thanks to this thread!!!
after all the talk on FB the last few days I looked it up and there is one by thel library I do see myself perhaps this Saturday checking out a few baby books and heading down the block for some nuggets and cheesecake lol.

August 1st, 2012, 09:34 PM
Super Mommy
"...including the president at one point said they believed that marriage should be between a man and woman but yet these people arent getting ridiculed"

Of course he was. Absolutely ridiculed.
Rosalie Octavia, born on October 22nd and 9:35am, 7 pounds 2 ounces, 19 inches.
August 2nd, 2012, 04:23 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
I will be back when I have more than a minute to sit down and form my thoughts, but I am one who is refusing to eat at CFA now (and dang because it is some delicious chicken)

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 2nd, 2012, 05:01 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I've honestly grown weary of hearing about it on FB. If there was a "Block all CFA Posts" option, I would pick it! It's making me want to leave FB just to get away from all the political crap. It's America, the guy can believe what he wants whether we like it or not. And he can support whatever Christian organizations he wants because again, we live in America. And shock of all shocks, most of those organizations do not support gay marriage because the guy is a conservative Christian supporting conservative Christian organizations. Are we really surprised here??? Go eat eat a burger and move on.

What I do get frustrated about it all the hate on both sides. And it is on both sides. I'm not seeing much tolerance or love on either side. Seems most people are only willing to tolerate those who agree with them. It would be great if we could all just be happy with our own beliefs and not have to feel the need to push them on everyone else.

P.s. Lindsey - Maybe change the title to "discussion" instead of "debate". We aren't allowed to debate in here, so that might get it taken down at some point if a mod sees it.

Last edited by Leanne78; August 2nd, 2012 at 05:05 AM.
August 2nd, 2012, 06:16 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
ok, here goes!! Beware, it may be long, I have a lot of thoughts on this

First off, as an American, I fully support that Dan Cathy has the right to say whatever he wants, but he is not immune to reaction from said words. I think a lot of people forget that part. You can say what you want, but that doesn't mean I have to like it or support it.

I am a Christian in full support of gay marriage. Marriage, unlike something like Communion, is NOT a unique Christian trait. Up until the last hundred or so years, marriage was simply a contract. Heck, in some countries, marriages are still arranged. People of all different faiths and lack of faith get married every day. To say that we should follow the "Biblical definition of marriage" in this country and those that don't are "prideful and arrogant and are inviting God's wrath" is just plain ignorant of marriage. If we must follow the Christian definition of marriage, that leaves out A LOT of people, but they are not fighting against that, only homosexuals.

Chick-fil-a gives MILLIONS of dollars to anti-gay groups to fight a group of individuals from having the same right that you and I have. It's not fair and I will not support bigotry of any sort. It's disgusting to me that it's ok to hate homosexuals because of the way they were born. If anyone has EVER done any research on it, you will learn that homosexuality is not something you choose (who in their right freaking mind would choose to ostracized from their friends and family, not have rights that every American has and face such hatred that people are willing to kill you for??). Bigotry is alive and well in this country. Just 40 years ago, interracial marriage was against the law. Just in the last month, a church in Mississippi refused to marry a black couple. I'm outraged in this day and age that bigotry still exists and will do everything in my power to fight it. I'm taking a stand and showing my girls that hate is not an option. It's quite different than people boycotting Oreo's or JCP. Those companies are standing up for equality, not fighting against rights for a group of people.

Chick-fil-a supports groups that demonize homosexuality. Groups that claim homosexuals are right up there with pedophiles and more likely to commit pedophilia (when in reality, the majority of sex offenders are heterosexual males ). It's beyond taking a "stand for marriage". I will NOT give my money to an organization who choses to support such disgusting hate filled groups.

As a Christian and follower of Christ, I am deeply saddened that this is even a debate in the Christian community. I honestly believe that Jesus would be so so disappointed in what his followers are doing in his name. Jesus preached about love and acceptance. I fully believe that He would be hanging out with homosexuals and fighting for their rights, a basic human right we ALL have and we all take for granted. It's shameful. If he had said the same things about black people and donated millions of dollars to the KKK, I don't even think we'd be having this conversation, would we?

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 2nd, 2012, 06:50 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
But you'll never convince a fundamental conservative Christian that homosexuality is anything short of a perversion. It's just not going to happen. That's what they believe. It's preached very admantly in their religion. You call it anti-gay, but to them it's just a fundamental sin taught as an abomination in the Bible. What I don't get is why it is treated any worse than any other sin. I think they miss the part about he who has no sin casting the first stone. And I really don't get why they can't just believe what they do without trying to infringe on those who believe differently. I was raised Fundamental Baptist by the way, so I have definitely seen both sides of this issue. I can say though that my church from growing up never did anything to bash gays or block their rights etc. They just believed it wasn't right. That in itself doesn't make you an anti-gay. They just didn't support it. We were taught to love everyone. Acceptance is another thing though. You can love someone and still not accept their lifestyle and agree with it. I don't think too many Conservative Christians would agree with you that Jesus was an "accepting" God. He took everyone under his wing, as they were, but expected them to "shape up" not continue to live in their "sin".

Last edited by Leanne78; August 2nd, 2012 at 07:03 AM.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search