Work is trying to screw me over- vent

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree29Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 12:52 PM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
Major vent:

Uggh! I am so extremely frustrated right now I wanna scream!!! My Dr put me on reduced hrs, 8 hrs instead of 12 and 1/2 hr shifts. I notified HR and my manager (manager first) on Tues morning. My manager's first response was "we can't accomodate that". So I talked to HR guy and he said he'd call me back later that day but commented that my manager "shouldn't have said that" and "should have just referred you to HR". Well HR never called back Tues. I called Wed and left a message. No callback Wed either. Now I was getting really anxious. I NEED to work. I am the income-maker for my family. I have no savings. I am on the schedule for Fri. If HR says no 8 hr shifts then I need time to talk my OB into letting me work. HR won't let me work normal shifts without a new note releasing me. So I left another message this am and finally got a callback. They are talking about sending me to the rehab unit at a different hospital in their system to do 8 hr shifts because that's their normal shift there. I expressed concern that there might be more lifting there and should have just kept my mouth shut. I commented how on my unit we are a great team and there's always someone willing to help with lifting. Well the HR guy got all hung up on that and started harping on my job description requireing me to be able to lift 50lbs. He told me he wanted a drs note stateing what my lifting restrictions were. I feel like they are trying to trap me. If my dr adds lifting restrictions then it's considered "modified work/light duty" and there's a 21 day unpaid wait period before I am allowed to work light duty and they only provide light duty for 30 days and then would place me on medical disabilty where I'd make not even half of my regular income until I return to regular work after the baby is born. So I told HR guy I'd contact my dr today and have her fax another note. Well that little fill-in-the blank snake took it upon himself to fax my doctor my job discription with a note stateing that I had informed him that I might have additional restrictions.... Are you F'ing kidding me!?!?!? Now I'm waiting to hear if my dr will send the note as I requested or formally restrict my lifting. I rarely if ever lift 50lbs at my job, especially pregnant. It's a matter of common sense and teamwork. My cooworkers protect preggos as much as possible. I'm totally getting screwed and I wish I could give HR guy, my manager, and all the legal team that they've been holed up with since Tues a giant piece of my mind. You'd think that after 11yrs with this company I'd get a little compassion/help. I want to work and remain productive. They are just worried about their bottom line. Makes me sick. If you read this you deserve a cookie.
SarahxSyanide likes this.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
August 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
TreeTog's Avatar Love is in the Air!
((((HUGS)))) I hope everything works out soon.

Leslie
fireflyluna13 likes this.

August 2nd, 2012, 12:56 PM
SarahxSyanide's Avatar Super Mommy
Lolz on the cookie!
I would see if you can contact a legal representative here. I don't know what state you're in, but in most states there are laws protecting pregnant woman from this kind of discrimination.
~Genevieve Violet Born October 31st at 10:42pm 10lbs 1oz 22inches.~
Breastfeeding for 5 months!
]

Last edited by SarahxSyanide; August 2nd, 2012 at 01:25 PM.
August 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Wow, I'm furious for you!

August 2nd, 2012, 01:01 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I am sorry they are being *********s.
I would also look into legal counsel. That's ridiculous!
*HUGS*

August 2nd, 2012, 01:04 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Ughhh!!! It seems like they are trying to nitpick until they have you in a place where they want you - to make it easier on them.
Management can be really frustrating because a lot of times they don't even understand the dynamics of the people they are managing or what "actually happens", so they make blanket decisions thinking it is what's best. It sounds really, really unfair and I'm sorry you're in this position

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 2nd, 2012, 01:13 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
How frustrating

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 2nd, 2012, 01:18 PM
Derby Girl's Avatar Veteran
WOW that really frosts my cookies! There are rights in place to protect pregnant women, but a-holes are always looking for loopholes. I hope everything works out. I feel for you since I am the sole income for my family. I am already stressing thinking about losing pay when I'm on disability.
August 2nd, 2012, 01:57 PM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking

That sucks! The HR guy sounds like a sneaky weasel.

August 2nd, 2012, 02:21 PM
HR guy can bite me! I love my dr right now. she filled out the paperwork per my specifications so it's looking like work is going to have to accomodate the 8hr shifts. And, since the twerp forced my drs hand, my work-release paperwork is all complete and turned in EARLY so HR can't say it wasn't done in a timely fashion. Neener-neener pumpkin eater!!!! Ppphhhht! Now I just need to know where to report to work tomorrow. I'm pretty sure my manager is not happy with me as she hates medical accomodations/leaves. She harrassed me majorly when I had brain surgery in 2005. Too bad, so sad. Thanks for all your support ladies. Venting and reading you comments really helps keep me somewhat sane.
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
August 2nd, 2012, 03:00 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
glad your Doc put them in there place event though it shouldnt have been an issue to start I hope they learn an let go

August 2nd, 2012, 03:45 PM
anhoyle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Glad you got the paperwork done. It sucks that women have to go through this when they are pregnant. There really should be a law that makes employers accommodate to pregnancy.

[/url

August 2nd, 2012, 05:37 PM
Get this: I get to stay on my own unit.... my manager called to let me know. You could tell it killed her to say the words. I sweetly told her I was so glad that I got to stay on "our" home team....

August 2nd, 2012, 05:44 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
That really sucks, but I am glad that it all worked out!!
August 2nd, 2012, 05:53 PM
fancypants27's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
so glad everything worked out... it is the employers DUTY to accomedate the employee. Unless they suffer undue hardship doing so...but they'd have to go through alot for that to happen.

August 2nd, 2012, 07:17 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
What an ordeal! Im glad it worked out for you.

August 2nd, 2012, 10:36 PM
rachkel's Avatar Super Mommy
I absolutely despise employers who discriminate against pregnant women! I dealt with it earlier this pregnancy and its ridiculous! I'm glad that things are looking up and working out for you though!

Visit my blog! Lots of health and fitness insights... including pregnancy!

www.HealthFitnessLove.wordpress.com

August 3rd, 2012, 06:06 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I'm glad it all worked out for you but I'm still mad at them for you!

August 3rd, 2012, 07:07 AM
rhettsmum's Avatar Member
Glad it worked out for you! Sad that it should turn into such a mess before that though, WHY do people act like having kids is some sort of disease?
August 3rd, 2012, 09:16 AM
Mommyx12's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
So glad it worked out for you!!!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search