old Media/knowlage for new kids

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By 3kids3cats
  • 2 Post By Leanne78

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 2nd, 2012, 04:08 PM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
the old movies thread had me thinking as a kid I really liked older shows and movies. any time I went to my grandmothers I watched Turner classic movies, TV land, and Boomerang as much as I was allowed I just thought It was the coolest things ever and I still prefer shows like the Munsters and Andy Griffith to most of whats on TV. but I don't really think that's very normal.

also I remember my dad teaching me about older gadgets. when I was little everyone was using casset tapes but my dad still taught me how to use a record player and An 8 track even though he is the only person iv ever known that still owned either of those things.

Do you or will you teach your kids older things and if so which ones are important to you?

I dont mean like history Of course you teach them history. I mean like I know for a fact my SO will have our kid watching back to the future as soon as its old enough to understand it. Even though probably no one else in its age group will know those movies heck most ppl in my age group dont know those movies.

August 2nd, 2012, 05:55 PM
Almondeyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Almondeyes
That I will do for sure. A few years ago when I was teaching in another district, I was talking about spinach and how Popeye eats his spinach to become strong, they had no idea who he was. it was so sad. Such a classic. My parents still have there old video camera that you had to turn and with no sound and still have a record player that's works still. I actually still have my waterproof yellow sony Walkman. It was the coolest back then.
Classic shows, duck tales, chip and dale, original Alvin and the chipmunks, my little pony, strawberry shortcake. (the new ones stink) Bewitched, Brady bunch, leave it to beaver, oo and my favorite, The Mickey Mouse club with Annette. Those were great.

August 2nd, 2012, 06:36 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yep. But not as old as those...mostly the stuff from my childhood.
Angelina's favorite movies are Back to the Future I & II, Adventures in Babysitting, Anne of Green Gables & the Goonies.
She loves to watch Who's The Boss & especially Family Ties.
She adores Madonna & Michael Jackson too.
When she was 3 I got her the same My Little Pony house I had when I was a kid on ebay.
Now Lorelai loves My Little Ponies, Strawberry Shortcake & Barbies.
I love being able to share this stuff with them!
mollymalone likes this.

August 3rd, 2012, 06:33 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
My DH is pretty big into vintage stuff. He still has a slide projector and some other projector that shows old movies on reels (16 mm???). I don't know enough about it, but I'm sure he will make sure the kids are educated. We also have a record player in the family room. I plan to get as many of the old cartoons on DVD as possible. The new stuff really stinks. I miss good Saturday morning cartoons. Now it's all this weird looking anime stuff (no offense to those who like it, but I think it's fugly). I want Akadia watching stuff like The Smurfs and Ducktails and the original Alvin and the Chipmunks. I also have all the old Muppet Shows season on DVD and the entire Munsters series and Dick Van **** series. We were listening to an old Bert and Ernie record with Akadia the other day and they referred to winding up an alarm clock and I thought about how kids now a days would have no idea what that even meant!

LMAO!!! I guess good old Dick's last name isn't acceptable!!! Ha!
mollymalone and Almondeyes like this.

August 3rd, 2012, 06:58 AM
Pixie's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
LMAO!!! I guess good old Dick's last name isn't acceptable!!! Ha!
Yet his first name is? lol..

Anyway, as for the topic, yes we will introduce our children to older movies and television shows as well as older technology. My DH collects old radios - like antique ones. He also has a record player (a new one) and often plays music for DS on those. We are both into nostalgia and I think most of the shows on TV are garbage now anyway. DS sometimes watches older cartoons and shows on netflix and we have some on DVD too.

August 3rd, 2012, 07:21 AM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Heck yes my kid will be educated on the awesomeness that was the 80s! LOL Not to mention taking her way back and making sure she knows some of the great music and tv shows from the 50s and on.

My BIL only comes to visit us about every 5 years. He was here this summer, so I told him as he was leaving, "Well, I guess you'll get to meet Ellie when she starts kindergarten." His solution to this was skyping, which is fine, but I told him, "Great, your niece is going to think you're Max Headroom!"

He didn't think she would get who that was... but if I have my way she will!

Heck yes my kid will be educated on the awesomeness that was the 80s! LOL Not to mention taking her way back and making sure she knows some of the great music and tv shows from the 50s and on.

My BIL only comes to visit us about every 5 years. He was here this summer, so I told him as he was leaving, "Well, I guess you'll get to meet Ellie when she starts kindergarten." His solution to this was skyping, which is fine, but I told him, "Great, your niece is going to think you're Max Headroom!"

He didn't think she would get who that was... but if I have my way she will!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search