Scheduled C-Section Mommas - Chat thread?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree13Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2012, 08:15 AM
Enceinte2012's Avatar Super Mommy
I figured I would start a thread for those of us who know we will be having a c-section.

Mine is already scheduled for Nov 7th, at 39 weeks. I will have one earlier if my water breaks (obviously) but, as long as all goes well, Nov. 7th Addyson will be born.

With my DD, Amber, who is now three, my water broke on its own. After 30 hours of labor (no drugs), I began to develop a fever, which was a result of an infection in my amniotic fluid. This can occur if a woman does not give birth within 24 hours of water breaking. I agreed to get the epidural to see if it would help me relax, and the doc gave me one more hour to see if I would progress at all. However, 15 minutes later, my fever spiked to almost 105, and I began shaking all over. They rushed me in for an emergency c-section. Amber had to go to the NICU, as the infection had traveled to her, and given her a fever. They would not let me hold her until both of our fevers had gone down, which was almost 8 hours later. She had IV antibiotics in her tiny hand, but other than that, was ok. (Thank god!)

Here's a picture of Amber about 12 hours after birth. The wrap on her arm is covering her IV:

I want to note that my pregnancy with Amber was textbook and care free. I actually continued to ride my horse until I was about 6 months pregnant, and was out at the barn cleaning stalls and scrubbing water buckets the day my water broke! My labor and emergency c-section experience was terrifying. When I started shaking ( really - convulsing) from the high fever, I thought baby and I were going to die. It was extremely scary. I am lucky, and so thankful, that all turned out ok.

My recovery from the c-section was quick, and not bad at all. I actually think that some of the girls that had a vaginal birth had a worse time recovering than me. I didn't need any pain meds, other than the occasional Tylenol, after leaving the hospital.

When I got pregnant this time, I had a long, LONG talk with my OB about a VBAC or repeat C. My doctor told me she would support my decision either way, and told me the facts and statistics, as she knew it and her experience. She did say that most of her patients who have tried for a VBAC do end up getting a c-section anyway, for various reasons. She also told me of the one (and only) uterine rupture she experienced while practicing.

I decided that I didn't need to take any risks this time. My doctor, husband friends and family support my decision to have a repeat C, as it is just the best thing for us. I also know that this will be our last child, and will be opting to have my tubes tied when the c-section is performed.

I will admit - I am a little nervous about the c-section - getting the spinal, how will my recovery be this time, etc. But, I am confident that I am making the correct decision in doing this. It does upset me that I will never experience 'natural' or vaginal birth, but keeping me and baby healthy are most important in my situation.

Ok, so - C-section mama's - your turn! What s your story? Any fears, questions, or anything to add?

~*~Meghann~*~
Proud Mommy to Amber and Addyson

August 3rd, 2012, 08:41 AM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Thanks for starting this! I was thinking about starting one the other day!

With Eli my pregnancy was so easy and normal until I started to experience PIH at 28 weeks. My blood pressure was really unstable from that point forward (and I had never had high blood pressure in my life) and I was placed on bed rest. When I reached full term it was getting scary high (170's/110's) from my baseline. At 38 weeks I had a talk with my doctor about concerns over the placenta and we decided to induce at 39 weeks.

My induction process started at 7pm on Tuesday night. I progressed all through the night and made it to 5 cm by noon the next day. At 5 cm I asked for a epidural because the pitocin contractions were killer. Once I got my epidural, my labor stalled. I progressed hardly another cm in the next 7 hours. At that point we were worried about the integrity of the placenta, Eli's oxygenation and heart rate, plus he had started to try to come down into the birth canal and we were worried he would get fluid on the brain. At 7pm we decided to do an unplanned/emergency c/s and I was terrified, but it went without a hitch.

During my daughter's pregnancy, I knew with everything going on that I at least wanted a VBAC. I wanted to make an effort to deliver her vaginally and experience her labor fully.
I was induced after her heart stopped beating at 33 weeks. The induction was gruesome. My body was in no way ready to let her go. I went 6 hours on pitocin and progressed NOT AT ALL. The contractions were horrible, lasting 2 minutes and only 30 sec in between. I was so sad that they weren't doing anything because they were the worst pain I have ever felt. I finally gave in and asked for an epidural. This time the epidural sped up my labor, most likely because I was able to relax.

When it came time to push, it seemed like a normal delivery. It took three hours of pushing, but finally when she was crowning we started to get worried. She was absolutely not fitting. And keep in mind this was a 33 weeker. The nurses started pushing so hard on my uterus to help get her out, my doctor had to give me a FULL episiotomy, there was a lot of bruising and trauma down there just to get her out and she was only 4 lbs 12 oz At my 6 week PP check up my doctor talked to me about how dangerous the situation really was and especially would have been for a live birth. We learned a lot about my anatomy thanks to my daughter and I firmly believe that she has saved my life and all of my future children's lives.

From now on I will be having c-sections and it is bittersweet to me.
I am thankful to have learned that I just can't birth a baby through my birth canal, but I am sad to not be able to experience a vaginal birth again. I am sad that I won't be able to give my body a chance to go into labor, but I am so thankful that I was able to experience her birth in the way I wanted to for the most part. I am also sad that I kind of feel like "less" of a woman or as if something is wrong with me, especially when people push natural birthing my way not taking into account those who simply can't. I know what a "woman's body is supposed to do" without people telling me, so it hurts in those scenarios.... I am still kind of "grieving" the loss of being able to have a vaginal birth, but I'm thankful that I KNOW what I need to do for the safety of me and baby!

Phew, felt good to get all of that out!
Thanks for posting!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 3rd, 2012, 08:56 AM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Im probably going to get all sorts of head shaking on my story, but Id rather be honest.

I opt'd for the C-section. Yup, I didn't have to have it. My OB said Izzy was measuring at 9 lbs when I was 38 weeks. I just didn't have the confidence that I could push out a 9 lb baby. When I had my 38 week checkup, I had 0 progression, no dilation at all. All I was picturing was being induced a week later, and possibly having a 10lb baby that didn't want to come out. Sure, I could have tried, but I felt more comfortable just having the C-section. Its was really easy. Sure I was sore, but it was worth it.

And get this...... she was born at 7lbs, 2oz. LOL

Many women do have 10lbers vaginally with no problem, so please, no one get the wrong idea, IT CAN BE DONE, I was just too chicken to try. 2 friends of mine had terrible experiences that I will not discuss now, but hearing their stories didn't help. All I kept thinking was, "thats gonna be me."

I do not regret my decision, and I look forward to doing it again. Childbirth in every form is a beautiful memorable experience.
Enceinte2012 likes this.

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!

Last edited by BabyLove23; August 3rd, 2012 at 09:01 AM.
August 3rd, 2012, 09:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLove23 View Post
I do not regret my decision, and I look forward to doing it again. Childbirth in every form is a beautiful memorable experience.
I totally agree with this!

Sorry if my last little paragraph came out the wrong way, it's just my personal feelings about not being able to have a vaginal birth. I didn't mean for it to be directed towards anyone else or for others to feel the same way as me at all!
I just don't want it to come across as if those should be the universal feelings of c/s mommies; they are just demons I struggle with... if that makes sense?

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

August 3rd, 2012, 09:18 AM
Thank you for sharing your stories, ladies!

Kimberly - what was the spinal and everything like? I know it sounds like a weird question, but I had an epi mid contraction, and barely felt it. Is it weird that I am concerned about the needle for the spinal? lol

Also, were you able to have your daughter right away? Or was there a period of 'recovery' time for you that they took her form you?

I hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks!

~*~Meghann~*~

August 3rd, 2012, 09:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RootBudSkyTree View Post
I totally agree with this!

Sorry if my last little paragraph came out the wrong way, it's just my personal feelings about not being able to have a vaginal birth. I didn't mean for it to be directed towards anyone else or for others to feel the same way as me at all!
I just don't want it to come across as if those should be the universal feelings of c/s mommies; they are just demons I struggle with... if that makes sense?
No no no not at all!! I just didn't want to scare anyone into thinking it wasn't do-able. :-)
Your story is so inspiring and touching. I have to admit, I got a little teary eyed! Gotta love the hormones!!
whitehouse1 and Enceinte2012 like this.

August 3rd, 2012, 09:33 AM
Okay, I just wanted to clarify in case anyone took it that way! I don't want to step on toes! Oh those hormones!!

I'm curious like Meghann about having a PLANNED c/s! I know it will be totally different! I wonder if the spinal is like an epi?

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

August 3rd, 2012, 09:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enceinte2012 View Post
Thank you for sharing your stories, ladies!

Kimberly - what was the spinal and everything like? I know it sounds like a weird question, but I had an epi mid contraction, and barely felt it. Is it weird that I am concerned about the needle for the spinal? lol

Also, were you able to have your daughter right away? Or was there a period of 'recovery' time for you that they took her form you?

I hope you don't mind me asking. Thanks!
Not at all!

The spinal was a piece of cake. They numb the area first, and then you get the spinal. So all you feel is the little prick like you are getting an IV while they are numbing you (Sorry, Im sure these are not correct medical terms)

I held and fed Izzy about an hour later. After the C-section I went into post-op for about an hour, where they just monitor you to make sure everything stays "normal." Right after that, I was in my room with my little munchkin.
whitehouse1 and Enceinte2012 like this.

August 3rd, 2012, 10:01 AM
LiamsMother's Avatar Amanda (Amahnda)
My story is a little unique since I had to be induced at 35 weeks. I was misdiagnosed as having depression even though I'm Type II Bipolar. Even 6 years ago, not as much was known about Type II, only Type I Bipolar Disorder. I'm never high, thinking that I'm God and can rule the world. I have hypomania when I'm manic- obsessions, anxieties, and fears. But, the depression is just as bad as with depression or Type I Bipolar. So, the previous doctor that I had thought I had only depression. So I was put on depression meds not bipolar meds. So, my disease was not treated at all. Unlike this pregnancy, my pregnancy with Liam was hell! I'd cry for 3 hours at a time and towards the end, I wanted to die. I probably would've tried suicide if Liam had been left inside me much longer. So, at 35 weeks, I was induced.

I was given cytotec but didn't progress. So I was given pitocin and the contractions started right away, one on top of the other. Still, labor wasn't progressing. So, my water was broken. At that point, his heart, with each contraction would go from 200 to 120 and back again. They called it non-reassuring fetal tones. The doctor told me c-section! I didn't want to hear that. Britney Spears had just had her first child via c-section 6 months prior to Liam's birth all because she just didn't want to go through the pain of labor, I didn't want to be one of those women. Also, my mother (her and I do not get along- she's not that bright) once told me that women who have c-sections don't love their children. So, I had this in my mind and did not want a c-section. But, my doctor told me that if we don't cut him out now, he might die. That changed my mind immediately.

The c-section was easy. I recovered in no time and was walking around just fine the next day, unlike some of the other mothers that had vaginal births- it seemed like they were totally miserable. I realized at that point that I'd made the right decision to have a c-section. I thought about a vbac but decided against it. The success rate decreases with induction. My OB now won't do a vbac without an induction, it's not convenient for him. Even if I had a different doctor, I'm not built for it. I know I've commented on this before and gotten heck about it. I'm naturally a size 3-5 with large hips, so I look like I can push out a decent size baby but my pelvis is really narrow, so even though I can grow a huge baby, I can't push one out. So, induction would have to happen no matter what doctor that I had. So, my odds of having a successful vbac are not that good. So, I'm not going to attempt it.

I like the repeat c-section option. Nolan can stay in for a full 40 weeks. I don't have to wait for labor, I don't have to push or tear, and I stay in the hospital an additional 2 days, my milk will have definitely come in by then. I know that vaginal births are the natural thing that our bodies were designed to do and I'm not knocking anyone that goes that route. But, I do prefer the convenience and safety of a repeat c-section versus a vbac.
Enceinte2012 likes this.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:06 AM
Super Mommy
I am going to be a thread lurker on this one for a while. Have my ultrasound next Friday to determine if the placenta has moved up at all. If not then I will be joining you ladies for a scheduled c-section.
August 3rd, 2012, 01:19 PM
Thank you so much for sharing your story, Amanda.
LiamsMother likes this.

~*~Meghann~*~

August 3rd, 2012, 01:30 PM
MoonMom's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
although I'm not planning a repeat C-section, I thought some of you might like to read what my scheduled birth was like (as opposed to an emergent c/s that starts with labor). My son was breech and we were not successful in our attempts to turn him, so he was born at 39w2d with no labor.

http://www.justmommies.com/forums/f9...-8-2009-a.html (William, 5-8-2009)

baby Roger @ 7 months

August 3rd, 2012, 03:25 PM
Mega Super Mommy
My story goes that I had a normal, healthy, happy pregnancy. Much like this one. No morning sickness, BP problems, or anything else that would be considered unfun. Except that I swelled from my waist down really bad. I was looking forward to a totally natural unmediated birth. By my 40wk appt I was 0% thinned, and not dilated at all. Basically my body hadn't even started preparing to give birth. I had an ultrasound to determine how large DS was measuring and he was at 9lbs. Give or take a pound I was told. Also my OB's office won't induce until you are 41wks, so I had to wait another full week before they would put me in the hospital for anything. By 41wks I still had absolutely no progression at all. I was put into the hospital at 6pm on Tues Dec 21st. I was not given pitocin because they didn't want to start my labor with my cervix so thick. Instead they inserted the cervidil string behind my cervix to start the thinning process. I had to have 2 rounds of this with no thinning. They then inserted some sort of pill back there. That must have worked because my water broke on it's own at 10am on the 22nd. As soon as my water broke I was in immediate hard labor with contractions lasting a full min with less than a min inbetween. At some point DH told the nurses that I needed the epi. I didn't really want that but was too tired to argue with him so I agreed. By 8pm I was dilated to 8cm. I was still at 9pm, and again the same at 10pm. My OB decided that since my body never started the labor process on it's own and I wasn't progressing that it was time for a section. Someone else was using the OR at the time so it took until 11pm to get me in there, and I was still at 8cm. DS was born at 1145pm on Dec 22nd 2010. I didn't hear him cry right away and got scared. I later found out that he had to be bagged to start breathing, and even then he wasn't breathing the way they wanted him to. So while I was being sewn up and going to recovery he was taken to NICU. They said he had swallowed too much of the saline solution that they had been pumping in me since my water had broken. I wasn't allowed off my catheter or IV until 6pm on the 23rd, and that was the first time I was allowed to go to the NICU to see my baby. DS ended up with 3 chest x-rays and all kinds of tubes and IV's that one day he spent in NICU. He was released to my room about 10pm on the 23rd. Every thing was fine from then on out. I was released on the 24th at 9am, and DS was released the same day at noon. I recovered very quickly and was even able to get out and go to all the Christmas Eve and Christmas day family things. I didn't even use any pain meds once home.

This time I'm planning a repeat section since I don't know if my body even knows how to go into labor on it's own. And I don't want to chance the problems we ran into last time.

Sorry this was so long.

August 3rd, 2012, 03:53 PM
I had no idea that so many of you share similar - yet very different - stories to mine. Thank you so much to you all for sharing!

~*~Meghann~*~

August 4th, 2012, 07:15 AM
Did any of you ladies get the "glue" ?
I had staples, and no complaints about them at all. You can hardly even see the incision line.
However, my friend had a csection 3 months ago, and try used this glue stuff instead. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it? Is this the "new" thing? Lol.

August 4th, 2012, 09:04 PM
Pregnant with#3
Baby love I had the glue with my both mine and I loved it. I will be asking my new ob if she will use it.

I am scheduled for my csection November 8th at 39 weeks. I have two previous csections.

My first son I had went in for my 36 weeks appointment thinking it was just going to be a normal appointment. I had been swelling really bad but being my first didn't know to be alarmed. At that appointment my Bp was elevated and my dipstick urine showed 4+ protein in my urine. I was to labor and delivery to be monitored and to do a 24 hour urine. After getting to l and d my Bp shot up to 190/100. Dr performed an u/s and jaydens fluid was low and he needed to be delivered that night. I was diagnosed with severe preeclampsia. Dr gave me an option to do vaginal but feared that he would compress he cord and I could end up with an emergency csection. I didn't want that. It was mutual decision to have a csection. Jayden was delivered and ended up having to spend two weeks in the nice due to breathing issues. I spent the 24 hours after deliver on magnesium I've and was unable to jayden for 24 hours. I never got to experience labor. So when I went to have kaleb I talked to my dr about a Vbac and she said the only way she would do it is if I went I to labor on my own and continued to progress without needing pitocin. I scheduled my csection for 39 weeks and said that if I went into labor before then then I would labor but if I made it to my csection then I would have another csection. Well I made it to my csection date with no labor.

I have never gotten to experience labor and I feel like I have missed out on a special part of having a baby. I feel left out on that experience.

Since I have had two csections already then I will definitely be having another csection. It is too much of a risk at this point.

Ansley McKenna arrived November 8, 2012 6lbs 10.5 oz 18.5 in
August 5th, 2012, 07:03 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLove23 View Post
Did any of you ladies get the "glue" ?
I had staples, and no complaints about them at all. You can hardly even see the incision line.
However, my friend had a csection 3 months ago, and try used this glue stuff instead. I was just wondering if anyone had any experience with it? Is this the "new" thing? Lol.
I guess mine was the glue. Not really sure. What I had looked like a sheet of plastic wrap on my belly. I had to leave it on for 6wks, but could shower and do everything like normal except take a bath. Then I took it off by myself, and never had to go in and have any stitches or staples taken out,

August 5th, 2012, 07:38 AM
I had staples, and had no problems at all. I assume, since I have the same doctor, she will use staples again.

~*~Meghann~*~

August 5th, 2012, 11:33 AM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
Thank you for starting this thread. While my first son was born via c-section, my second will be a c-section with a hysterectomy. Reading these have eased my fears about the process.
Enceinte2012 likes this.

August 5th, 2012, 12:16 PM
Veteran
My first child was not a planned c-section. I was 37 weeks but my uterus measured 45 weeks. I was induced. After many hours of not going anywhere my son went UP instead of down. They did a c-section. My 2nd was just 11 months later. Since they were so close together they wouldnt let me do a v-bac. I was scheduled for 38 weeks since they were thinking she was almost a 9 pound baby. My Dr was late because of traffic. I give him a hard time saying he was out to lunch while I was starving and waiting in the OR. LOL She ended up being a 10.10 baby! Ouch! My 3rd was scheduled csection. He would only do it at 39 weeks. BUT I went into labor at 38 weeks. I told him I wouldnt make it to 39 weeks. It was HORRIBLE. This was with a different Dr with my other two. He put my feet above my head. The blood was rushing to my head and made me so sick. He taped up my stomach. It took a HOUR to put my spinal in. A WHOLE FREAKING HOUR. I was about to DIE! Im scheduled this time at 38 weeks with the Dr who delivered my first two. He knows my history. 38 weeks puts me at Nov 16th. I hope I get that date due to hubbys work schedule and such. Only down part is Twilight comes out that day. Man! I will miss it. HA!
Enceinte2012 likes this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search