Hospital bag items not on regular lists

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By Leanne78
  • 2 Post By white.house
  • 2 Post By KatherineD

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 3rd, 2012, 11:10 AM
Super Mommy
Any previous Mums have great item suggestions to pack for the hospital that aren't on the regular lists. I figure I should start picking things up over the next couple of months so I am not buying all at once.
August 3rd, 2012, 11:18 AM
Averysmama1101's Avatar Super Mommy
I can't believe we're already talking hospital bags! One of my apps says to have it ready at 30 weeks. That's only a few weeks away for a lot of us. Seems really soon, but I'm probably going to start mine around then, rather than having it sitting ready to go so soon, lol.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:24 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Don't know if it's on a regular list, but for me, one of the most important items I took with me to the hospital were super cushy socks. Don't know why, but those socks were a big comfort item for me along with my memory foam slippers. While everything else was hurting, my feet felt great.
Cocoa Sashimi likes this.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:27 AM
Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaniscooo View Post
I can't believe we're already talking hospital bags! One of my apps says to have it ready at 30 weeks. That's only a few weeks away for a lot of us. Seems really soon, but I'm probably going to start mine around then, rather than having it sitting ready to go so soon, lol.
lol don't worry not packing yet just starting to get the list together and buying the items if I see them. I have very few items on the list so need to shop!
August 3rd, 2012, 11:30 AM
Averysmama1101's Avatar Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antrim View Post
lol don't worry not packing yet just starting to get the list together and buying the items if I see them. I have very few items on the list so need to shop!
Oh no, I get you! I think that's a great idea especially if you're missing a lot of things you need to get. I'm the kinda person that wants to be prepared and ready to go asap so I don't have to worry about anything later so I TOTALLY understand. Leanne's suggestion of slippers/socks I've heard that one a lot. Def. packing some of those in mine when I start it.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:36 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I've already put in the paperwork for Sean's birth certificate so I don't forget to pack that later on or lose it. I don't see that on any lists, so if you already have that don't forget to pack it!

August 3rd, 2012, 11:45 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Chapstick. Hospital air is sooo dry I always end up having chapped lips.

And bring your own underwear!! Not some expensive Victoria secret stuff. Underwear you won't mind throwing out if you get alot of blood on them. Hospital undies are so awful.

And if you don't like 2in thick pads, might want to bring your own.

August 3rd, 2012, 11:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Belita View Post
I've already put in the paperwork for Sean's birth certificate so I don't forget to pack that later on or lose it. I don't see that on any lists, so if you already have that don't forget to pack it!
That's nice that you have that beforehand. My hospital gives you all the paperwork after you've delivered. I would have loved to have had it filled out beforehand!

August 3rd, 2012, 12:00 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm817
Chapstick. Hospital air is sooo dry I always end up having chapped lips.

And bring your own underwear!! Not some expensive Victoria secret stuff. Underwear you won't mind throwing out if you get alot of blood on them. Hospital undies are so awful.

And if you don't like 2in thick pads, might want to bring your own.
This exactly!! Chapstick and cheap granny panties were a must for me! Also, your own pillow! Hossy pillows stink!
BabyLove23 and Almondeyes like this.

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 3rd, 2012, 12:09 PM
Almondeyes's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to Almondeyes
Ok this is an odd one but a wee wee pad for the car ride there and back home. I also used it like a diaper coming home since i had no clue how much i would bleed and there pads stink. The nurse at my hospital was super nice and gave us one of the cloth ones that they use. You could probably ask for the disposable one from the hospital too. It's been great. I even useed the cloth one on nights when my periods are very heavy. Saved my sheets a few times and the best, it's machine washable. Oo and it's huge, big enough to cover the car seat bottom and a little of the back.

August 3rd, 2012, 12:23 PM
I second some kind of a large changing pad or something to sit on coming and going. I bled really really bad after words, so I really needed something just in case. And buy the most industrial size pads you can find. Little thin always wings aren't going to cut it. Everytime I stood up, I just gushed (sorry for the TMI). Even with the hospital pads that were big enough for a horse, I was changing them out constantly.

August 3rd, 2012, 12:30 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Yea I noticed I bled the heaviest with my first, each kid seems to be less and less. So if it's your first be prepared for some extremely heavy bleeding and even bloodclots. I was very unprepared with my first for just how much you really do bleed and for how long!

August 3rd, 2012, 01:20 PM
Enceinte2012's Avatar Super Mommy
REALLY soft toilet paper

~*~Meghann~*~
Proud Mommy to Amber and Addyson

August 3rd, 2012, 01:23 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm817 View Post
Yea I noticed I bled the heaviest with my first, each kid seems to be less and less. So if it's your first be prepared for some extremely heavy bleeding and even bloodclots. I was very unprepared with my first for just how much you really do bleed and for how long!
This^!!! I had NO idea I would bleed for 4+ weeks!! I felt like I didn't know what to do which is dumb since I get my period once a month. But this was just so much blood!! I even asked for extra hospital mesh underwear to take home because it was comfy and I didn't want to ruin my own.

Chapstick and lotion are great. Super plush comfy socks were always on my feet because those rooms are so cold!!! Make sure to have all of your shower toiletries with you because it feels amazing to take a shower and freshen up after having the baby! I even brought makeup and my hair dryer

Looking back, I don't know why, but I wore the hospital gown the entire time I was there I guess since they are always coming into your room to check you, it was easier than putting on pants or something, plus I didn't get any fluids or blood on my own clothes. Not sure what I'm going to do this time...
August 3rd, 2012, 01:40 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Sports bras! But not tight ones, loose fitting ones are best. The "ta ta's" become painful as the milk comes in. And with the amount of people coming in and out, your going to want something to "support the ladies" lol.

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
August 3rd, 2012, 01:41 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
Instead of a regular nursing bra or tank (I brought a tank last time and had the HARDEST time getting the dang thing on!), I'm bringing a sleep nursing bra:
Sleep Nursing Bras | Motherhood Maternity

Super comfy

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLove23 View Post
Sports bras! But not tight ones, loose fitting ones are best. The "ta ta's" become painful as the milk comes in. And with the amount of people coming in and out, your going to want something to "support the ladies" lol.
Unless you are nursing, because sports bras are not good for nursing moms, especially in the beginning
BabyLove23 and Belita like this.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 3rd, 2012, 02:13 PM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
That's nice that you have that beforehand. My hospital gives you all the paperwork after you've delivered. I would have loved to have had it filled out beforehand!
Yeah, that'll be a lot more convenient I think. That way I can focus on Sean once he's here.

About the changing pad, I've had a couple of close calls at nighttime bathroom runs the past couple of nights, so I'm actually thinking about putting one on my bed now, just in case!

August 3rd, 2012, 08:55 PM
*Ade*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Something that may not be on the typical list (but maybe it is) is your own pillow, with a patterned or colored pillow case. If you have a white case, it may get mixed in with the hospital pillows and you could forget it, or when they change your bedding could accidentally take your pillow.
As for undies, I personally loved the mesh panties at the hospital! With my first, I brought my own, but didn't use them. So with my second and third I only brought a pair to wear home.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search