speaking of toys..

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By MomtoCarly&Sofia
  • 1 Post By Glycerin19

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 4th, 2012, 12:21 PM
Nicole1481's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kelly's thread got me thinking about kid toys. For you BTDT moms, do you buy your children a lot of toys? For you new moms, do you plan on buying a lot of toys?

I was shopping for my nephews bday presents the other day and it dawned on me I NEVER buy my little kids toys (I bought my older kids tons). Max has a giant wheeled tote full of legos, but they were all Bowens when he was little. Whatever toys they do have were birthday or xmas presents, mainly from other people.

I just dont find it necessary to buy them a bunch of junk they dont need. Am I alone on this?

August 4th, 2012, 12:25 PM
Veteran
I dont plan on buying a bunch of toys, i more or less plan on buying toys to help my child learn and develop and im sure that will be enough for the first year of life, i dont plan on jsut buying toys to buy toys, you know? Until he is older and actually cares

Thank You Peimum for my beautiful siggy (:

August 4th, 2012, 12:28 PM
MomtoCarly&Sofia's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
My girls only get toys on their birthday or Christmas. Our house isn't very big, so not lots of room for tons of toys. I did buy them some of those cardboard blocks really cheap at a consignment store last month, and I'm glad I did, it's the only toy they play with now.

Even at Christmas, we only do three gifts each, and it's not just toys for those three gifts.
Nicole1481 likes this.

August 4th, 2012, 12:30 PM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
Most of the toys my older kids have are from birthdays and Christmas. I've cut WAY down on what we buy. I try now to focus on family gifts like memberships to places we like to go all year. We homeschool so it's easy for us to take a lot of day trips.

I haven't bought and won't buy any toys for this little one. I figure relatives will probably get us a few things, but in my experience babies don't use these things very much. Instead of an exersaucer thingy, I'll get a jumper for when she can sit up and I need to put her in something. Otherwise, she's got three siblings to play with or read to her.
Nicole1481 likes this.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

August 4th, 2012, 12:43 PM
We do try to focus on things we can do as a family too. They have a wii and xbox and ipod touches. It also costs us nearly $100 to do things as a family like bowling, movies, etc. Id rather do that, than go to target and pick out toys. They also do sports and that costs me an arm and leg too; between class fee's and uniforms.

August 4th, 2012, 01:37 PM
Veteran
I don't buy Hannah a ton of toys. She gets some from relatives though. I buy her a lot of books or toys to play with on road trips. Those have been a lifesaver!

August 4th, 2012, 03:41 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I don't buy a ton of toys, but my girls have a ton nonetheless - from family and friends for bdays, Christmas, etc. I started a no "junk" toy policy, I don't bring home the mcdonalds toys or buy toys that I call "filler" gifts that are easy to buy for Christmas/Bdays so it looks like they got more. I try to buy only things I know they will play with, and go through their toys every few months and donate a bunch if they've sat idle for a while. Our big thing right now is Barbies and Polly Pockets.
August 4th, 2012, 05:51 PM
Country928's Avatar Marisa
Zoe has a some dolls and learning toys but that is about it. She mostly gets them on christmas and her birthday. When i was little that was the only time we got something new or when my mom decieded to surprise us.
August 4th, 2012, 08:09 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
Kaitlin doesn't have tons of toys compared to some other kids I know. She gets most of her big toys from her birthday and Christmas and then we buy here things here and there. I like to buy her books as gifts too because she loves to have us read to her.
August 4th, 2012, 09:54 PM
TammyLynn1993's Avatar I love you Isabella
I'll mostly only be buying toys for educational purposes. I am going to buy some toys for my girl to play with when older but not many.

*Thank you<3Kiliki for the siggy*

August 5th, 2012, 12:47 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Our house looks like it could be a daycare center sometimes. She has a TON of toys. More than 1 child would ever need. Most of them never even get played with.

She's been so indulged and spoiled on her 2.5 years on the planet. I know that our next baby will be just as spoiled by family and friends, but now I know that I don't need to get her too many things in addition.

August 5th, 2012, 09:20 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
Quote:
Originally Posted by *Izzy's*Mommy* View Post
Our house looks like it could be a daycare center sometimes. She has a TON of toys. More than 1 child would ever need. Most of them never even get played with.

She's been so indulged and spoiled on her 2.5 years on the planet. I know that our next baby will be just as spoiled by family and friends, but now I know that I don't need to get her too many things in addition.
Same here. Our family room really does look like a daycare center. She's got a sweetheart playhouse, a schoolbus slide/climb thingie, kitchen set, and a little tikes table and chairs and her picnic table that we only take outside for cook outs and stuff. A lot of it is stuff we got on Craigslist or from other people. She's definitely spoiled rotten though from my entire family. My sister just bought her a reclining chair that is sitting in our bedroom now. As far as "toys" though, she doesn't have a lot of little stuff. Just mostly the bigger stuff and few toys that I rotate out because I don't like having too much out at a time. I really don't plan to buy much of anything for the new baby until she's much older since we have everything and they'll just have to share.

August 5th, 2012, 02:12 PM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leanne78 View Post
Same here. Our family room really does look like a daycare center. She's got a sweetheart playhouse, a schoolbus slide/climb thingie, kitchen set, and a little tikes table and chairs and her picnic table that we only take outside for cook outs and stuff. A lot of it is stuff we got on Craigslist or from other people. She's definitely spoiled rotten though from my entire family. My sister just bought her a reclining chair that is sitting in our bedroom now. As far as "toys" though, she doesn't have a lot of little stuff. Just mostly the bigger stuff and few toys that I rotate out because I don't like having too much out at a time. I really don't plan to buy much of anything for the new baby until she's much older since we have everything and they'll just have to share.
Yeah, we have a lot of big items too, which makes it look like we have even more than we do. 2 doll houses, a play kitchen, toy benches, play shopping cart, a few doll strollers, outdoor climbers and slides and pools...I could go on and on.

I have learned my lesson though! With so many other people spoiling her, I'd rather spend money on her via experiences....day trips, the zoo, the aquarium...etc. Seems much more worthwhile. It's more important to create memories than have material items.

August 5th, 2012, 03:59 PM
LOL Shannon and Leanne; I did open a daycare with all of Maysuns stuff.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search