OT: BTDT potty training moms

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By meddleman

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 5th, 2012, 07:48 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know that DS is ready to start potty training. He will bring me a diaper when he needs to be changed, and once or twice here lately he has gone to his potty and sat on it with his clothes on then stood up and patted his crotch to let me know he pottied. So now it's just up to us adults that he's around to get ready and start to focus on the training. So today I was out grocery shopping and decided to go ahead and buy him so training pants and the plastic covers. I got him 14 pair of the underwear, and 8 pair of the plastic pants. Is this a good start, not enough, or way too many? He spends Sat- Tues at home all day and Wed-Fri at my mom's while I'm at work. Do I need stuff for both houses or just bring everything home with me and wash them at night and take them back to my mom's the next day on the days he's with her? I'm so not ready for this. I mean I'm ready to stop buying him diapers, but I don't know if I can manage the training thing. What if I screw it up and he uses diapers till kindergarten?

August 5th, 2012, 08:24 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I think that sounds fine. Never used the plastic covers or the training pants - we just went straight to regular underwear. Nora was 2.5 and she trained in a day. One accident, that was it. I think the fact that we went to regular underwear was a huge help, she didn't like the feeling of being wet! I haven't trained Mia yet, and she's showing signs of readiness, but I wanted to have her transition into her new room/bed first. We'll start shortly.

The thing to remember is that if you try and it doesn't work, it doesn't mean that you failed. The trick is to not make it stressful for you OR DS. If its been a while and he's not getting it, stop and then try again later (in a few weeks, mos, etc) Boys are usually later trainers than girls, and I can't remember how old your DS is, but if I remember correctly he's still pretty young, so don't worry if it doesn't "take" right away. And I don't know any kindergarteners still in diapers so no worries

Oh, and night training takes a lot longer...Nora was closer to 3 when she night trained. I used pull-ups at night only bc I didn't want to confuse her and put her back in diapers then, after we talked about getting rid of them. We called them her 'night time' diapers. No pullups any other time though!
*Izzy's*Mommy* likes this.
August 5th, 2012, 09:09 PM
Think4Yourself's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We are potty training, about one week in atm. DS was totally content in his cloth diapers lol so the transition has been kinda ehh so far but he is doing great. First day lots of accidents so we just did naked time. Naked time for 2 days straight with diapers only at naptime and bedtime.. then we moved on to regular underwear and let him know to keep going on the potty and not on buzz lightyear lol. A day or two of that and then underwear at naptime and he has woken up dry from that.. and he went to gma's house in underwear today for 3 hours with no accidents! so tomorrow I am doing overnight, and hoping to cut out diapers all the way. *crosses fingers*

I think every kid is different when it comes to PTing.. I've read a lot of "how-to"s but I think you really just gotta work with the cues they give you. He'll let you know if he's not ready for something or if he's worried or scared. My ds right now won't poop in the potty, it's scary to him, but he is doing great with peeing, so we just encourage the peeing every time and remind him gently when he poops in his underwear that we will try the potty next time. He's going at his own pace but he does better every day and he's almost there

August 5th, 2012, 11:35 PM
doremi's Avatar Team Blue Mama of Two
Hi! My name is Sarah, and I'm one of the Oct. DDC co-hosts... I lurk over here, and couldn't help but reply to this thread since we are fresh off the potty train here! Here is what worked for us:

From about age 1 on, we made it part of our routine to have Josiah sit on the potty (we had a click on potty seat by Baby Bjorn) 1st thing in the morning, and before bathtime. He got to a point where he would usually pee at those times in the potty, but we didn't force it. Around age 2, we started encouraging him to use it at regular intervals, like every 1-2 hours. Even if he didn't go, we would still sit him on the potty at those times. By the time he was rounding the bend to age 3, he was basically pee trained, wearing the Gerber cotton trainer pants during the day, and a diaper/pull-up for naps and bedtime. We had a REALLY difficult time getting him to poop in the potty. Like many boys, he was freaked out by it. He would tell me when he needed to poop and ask for a diaper so that he could poop in the corner. If I tried to make him use the potty instead, he would freak out, and hold his poop rather than letting it out on the potty. I tried everything... bribery, yelling, reverse psychology, you name it. He was NOT going to poop on the potty. Then one day a few months after he turned 3, he accidentally pooped on the potty, and it was like a lightbulb went on. He realized it wasn't scary, and that was that. He was fully trained! I waited until he had been keeping his diaper dry for several weeks at night before switching him from a pull-up to undies at night since we bed-share and I was NOT willing to have an accident in the middle of the king sized bed!

I know there are many methods to potty training, and some work faster than what I just described, but I wasn't willing to deal with tons of accidents around the house (we have light colored carpeting thru-out the house), and I didn't feel like we had a calm enough schedule to do the bare buns lock yourself up at home approach. By doing it the way we did it, he trained when he was ready, and it didn't feel like a super huge deal. My biggest advice to you is to BE PATIENT. By all means encourage the potty, take your cues from him... but if he isn't ready, no matter what you do, it isn't going to happen. So be willing to step back if it is obvious he isn't quite there yet, and wait a few weeks/month before trying again. As far as the logistics of having him in two different houses, I would probably just pack several pairs of trainers in his bag for Grandma's each time, along with a wet bag, then launder them in between visits. You might also consider buying a small pack of disposable pull-ups to leave at Grandma's in the event of an "emergency". I would also recommend buying the toddler flushable wipes. When he starts to poop, these are way easier to teach him to wipe with than plain old toilet paper. Good luck!

August 6th, 2012, 05:17 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
We did naked from the waist down potty training. With Mia, I remember having her sit on the potty while watching a show and she pee'd. I praised the heck out of her and we also did a chart where she would get 1 M&M for pee and 2 for poop and when she filled up her chart, she got a special prize. They both got the chart and it worked like a charm!

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 6th, 2012, 05:36 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
We're still working on it here. Akadia gets the idea sort of because she will run to the potty to sit on it "after" she goes. I just need to get her to go to the potty before she goes. She also will only sit there for like 3 seconds and she wants up. My floor has been pee'd on a number of times already. It's like having a puppy!

August 6th, 2012, 08:06 AM
*Izzy's*Mommy*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Don't go back and forth between diapers and underwear. Even the plastic underwear might confuse him.

I went with her being naked from the waist down, and then in panties. She pee trained easily, but it took longer to get her to poop on the toilet. She also didn't ever like the tiny potty we got her, she just pushes a stool over to our toilet, and uses the big one.

To get her to poop, her dad put on toopy & binoo on his ipad and she sat on the toilet for 15 minutes watching it and went! We knew she had to go since she had been "tooting" beforehand.

Remember that if they are truly ready, it will hardly take anytime. We tried in June, and she wasn't into it. Then we tried again in July when she turned 2.5, and it was like a light switch went on.

She isn't fully night trained, so we're using her left over diapers. She likes to have a bit of cold water at bedtime, so that will be hard to break. She keeps her panties dry at nap time these days. We'll get there!

I am happy to be diaper free in this house until the new baby comes!

August 6th, 2012, 08:58 AM
Mega Super Mommy
Honestly I can't say I potty trained any of my kids. I bought a potty seat when my oldest was about 2. He didn't want anything to do with it. So I left the issue alone and he came to me when he was ready a little before he turned 3.5. It was so easy because it was something he wanted to do and then we did a little reward when he went (1m&m for #1, 2 for #2)

Did the same thing with my daughter, she came to me wanting to use the potty. She was between 2.5 & 3. She literally trained herself in a day. And no matter what anyone says you can't night 'train' a kid. They will stop when their body is ready, that my be 2 or it may not be until they're 8, some even later. So we don't push the issue at night. If they'd wake up to go, they know where the bathroom is.

August 6th, 2012, 09:08 AM
sandpaper06's Avatar Mom of 3 darlings
I'm trying to get myself ready to do this for DS. He's 3.5 and FINALLY went pee in the potty today. He's the size of a 5 year old, so he's getting too big for most diapers. Anyway, DD is much closer to training. I just need to get them both going. I have a motivation problem with this.
Caroline - November '12

August 6th, 2012, 12:03 PM
Veteran
I started today with DD. She just turned 2 in June, but she has been going on the toilet since March. She just won't tell me she has to go. She has been naked today, and had three accidents already. I am hoping it works soon so I can have a few months off from diapers.

August 6th, 2012, 01:02 PM
I am doing a trial run with DD today, as well. I figured since we're staying at home, might as well give it a shot. She was dry for 4 hours, sat on the little potty for 30 min, and then got up to eat lunch and peed in the chair :/ Put her in a pullup for nap, hoping she stays dry and then I can put her on the potty first thing when she wakes up. I think once she does it ONCE she'll get it, that's the hard part though. I'll try for a couple of days and if it doesn't work I'll wait. I really think both child and mom has to be ready to do it, and I'm just not at the moment ;P
August 7th, 2012, 05:43 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Thanks for all the advice. I know we will still use pullups for night time. He pretty much stays dry for naps as it is now. I don't think my mom will be using the plastic covers at her house because she has hardwood floors, and doesn't mind cleaning the floors when needed. I don't want to do the naked thing since I have carpet, and really don't want to clean that kind of mess. I know he's only 19mo but I think he's ready since he will tell me when he needs a change and will sometimes go sit on his potty and then bring me a new diaper like he used it just with his diaper still on. I'm trying not to stress about all this and if it doesn't work and we have to try later we will. But with my mom's help I think we can do it. She had me fully trained in 1 week when I was 11mo, so if he's ready she can do it. I'm ok with the reward system, but won't use it if he doesn't need it. So I guess in a few weeks we'll get started and just see how it goes.

September 20th, 2012, 12:10 PM
canarycream's Avatar Experienced
any word on the potty training? my daughter is trying to train her boy. he will be 3 in Nov. I don't think it is going very well.
September 20th, 2012, 06:37 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We stayed home and started training this past weekend. Still haven't poo'd on the potty, but he is doing pretty good at staying dry. He didn't have any waking accidents yesterday, but woke up wet and dirty from his nap. Then today same nap time story, but he did have one wet accident right before I got home from work. The babysitter was cleaning the living room and forgot to see if he needed to go. We take him every 30mins-1hr, and he will go almost every time. Plus when ever he runs to the bathroom we make him try even if he just wants to play. So all in all I'd say we are making progress, but have a long ways to go. At least he will tell us he needs to go every now and then.

September 20th, 2012, 07:06 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaHarvey View Post
We stayed home and started training this past weekend. Still haven't poo'd on the potty, but he is doing pretty good at staying dry. He didn't have any waking accidents yesterday, but woke up wet and dirty from his nap. Then today same nap time story, but he did have one wet accident right before I got home from work. The babysitter was cleaning the living room and forgot to see if he needed to go. We take him every 30mins-1hr, and he will go almost every time. Plus when ever he runs to the bathroom we make him try even if he just wants to play. So all in all I'd say we are making progress, but have a long ways to go. At least he will tell us he needs to go every now and then.
Are you doing underwear at naptime or still using diaper/pull-up? It takes a child a lot longer to be nap/night trained - an trained isn't even the right word for it, it's a physical thing. We worked on day training first and after about 6 mos of that Nora was able tonstay dry at night so we moved to underwear for those times, too!
September 22nd, 2012, 09:32 AM
Mega Super Mommy
We're using pullups during the day and a normal diaper at naps and night, because we still had some left over. I want to wait until he goes poo a few times in the potty before switching to training pants, that way I don't have too much clean up to do. He did poo in the potty for the first time today so we'll see. I don't plan on trying to night train. I want that to kinda come naturally, if he can't hold it that long then I don't want to push the issue.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search