Katherine and the very bad, no good, horrible week :( *Little Update*

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2012, 06:05 AM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
Last week was positively awful. Everyone said 30 is supposed to be great, but I'm not feeling it. It all started last Saturday. My sister drove up from FL to Toronto to watch a movie (must be nice to be mooching off my mom and have no real responsibilities besides school at 29). On the way home, she blew a tire in PA. Instead of doing the smart thing by getting the tire fixed and heading on her way, she decided to abandon her motorcycle and hitchhiked to Richmond, expecting my mother to leave visiting me on Sunday morning (my actual 30th birthday) and come get her and drive straight home. I put my foot down. I'm so done with her expecting everyone to drop everything and cater to her. She doesn't give a rats behind about anyone. She's incapable of it and I'm tired of it.

Then I learned the car seats are going to be super tight in the car and now I have to figure out a way for Mia to be able to buckle her seat belt (I just moved her into a booster at 6.5). We can't afford another car. We could if we did things like sell our 69 Mustang (if we could get the price we wanted for it), but I don't want to have to do that, so we are going to try and make it work. Then I get a text from AT&T that we are over our minutes by 200, which is going to cost us $100 because Kevin can't freaking use a landline in the house (when he was the one that INSISTED we have a landline ). Thankfully I was able to change the plan and backdate it, but I seriously didn't want to have to do that! Then I failed my GD test. Then we learned that the A/C on our rental house went out and will cost us over $500 to fix it. Then it was yet another conflict on my THIRD date choice for the baby shower (in which I am just ready to say screw it).

Finally, on Friday, my sister texts me that my mom is in the ER with a pneumothorax (collapsed lung). She had to have her lungs drained of puss & fluid and has a chest tube in and was admitted to the hospital. I have things that I have to do here that prevent me from leaving until tomorrow. Now I have to figure out if I am going to fly (3.5 hour flight at $450) or drive the 6ish hours (in which I will be doing by myself because Kevin doesn't want to bring the dogs). I just want to cry. I'm scared to see my mom all hooked up like that. They are supposed to do a CAT scan to find out the cause because there is no infection at all and I'm terrified they are going to find something awful and I just don't want to face that without my husband there.

I've been pretty much keeping myself busy this weekend trying not to think about it. Kevin pulled an overtime shift, so he has been gone since 6:00am Saturday and won't be home until 7:30am tomorrow morning. I feel like I am going to just break down any minute. It's been one thing after another.

UPDATE:
My mom had her CAT Scan yesterday and was able to take the chest tube out yesterday as well The CAT Scan shows that she has mild Emphysema. It's the hereditary kind (Familial Emphysema), but it still sucks, especially since her parents were smoker and she was with my dad for 20 years, who was also a smoker (thankfully he never smoked in the house, but he did smoke in the car), so that is scary not only for what implications it has for her, but for myself as well.

My sister leaves for a cruise on Saturday, so I am driving down Saturday with the girls to stay with her for a week, that way she's not by herself for that week. That's the better option than me going down now and possibly not even going to see her because the girls might not be allowed in her room. So if anyone in Jax wants to get together, I'm sure the girls will be itching to get out of my mom's apartment sometime next week.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

Last edited by KatherineD; August 8th, 2012 at 05:57 AM.
August 6th, 2012, 06:28 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
Awww, Katherine!! I am so sorry you have had a week from hell! Sounds like you have gotten hit with a ton at once. Then add the pregnancy hormones on top of all that. Big Hugs!! I will keep your mom in my thoughts that its nothing serious. I don't blame you for wanting your husband with you in the event you get bad news. I would be the same way. He is my crutch! KUP on your mom!!

August 6th, 2012, 07:40 AM
Mega Super Mommy
I'm sorry, last fall was like that for us. I hope things start looking up for you and that your Mom has a speedy recovery.

August 6th, 2012, 08:02 AM
TammyLynn1993's Avatar I love you Isabella
I hope that good things come for you this week since you got hit with a lot of awful things last week. I hope your mom gets better soon. Try not to stress yourself out that much, I know of course you are going to have some stress from all that has been going on but try to keep some stress off. Good luck with everything.

*Thank you<3Kiliki for the siggy*

August 6th, 2012, 08:10 AM
Alaska Baby14's Avatar Gonna be a family of 4!
Awww!!! Hang in there!!!!! I always freak out when I see someone I love in a hospital room!! You'll definitely be in my thoughts!! Have a safe trip and I hope she gets better soon!!!

<3
August 6th, 2012, 09:10 AM
Belita's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I'm so sorry, that is a lot thrown your way. I hope your mom pulls through and makes a quick recovery!

August 6th, 2012, 09:27 AM
NewGurl's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
hoping for the best all around. take some time to wind down if you can these things tend to get overwhelming so sorry to here your going through so much right now.

August 6th, 2012, 09:35 AM
-Brandy-'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Ughh Katherine, I am so sorry that life seems to be picking on you right now! Big hugs

Thinking about you and your mom, hoping for good news!

A BIG thank you to Jaidynsmum for my awesome siggy!

August 6th, 2012, 10:14 AM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I'm sorry, I hope things turn around for you
August 6th, 2012, 10:27 AM
Cocoa Sashimi's Avatar Usually Lurking
I am so sorry. I hope your mom recovers swiftly and that everything else works itself out for you.

August 6th, 2012, 10:43 AM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm so sorry! Thats certainly not what your 30th should be like!!! Geeze you are getting alot piled on you at once!!! Try and take some time for yourself. The last thing you need right now is getting admitted to the hospital for exhaustion or a panick attack.

We will keep you all in our thoughts and prayers, keep us posted on your mom!!

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
August 6th, 2012, 10:58 AM
fireflyluna13's Avatar Super Mommy
(((((hugs)))))) Katherine, I'm sorry you're having to deal with so much, especially all at once! I have no doubt that you are a strong woman and everything will work out, but I know it's really stressful and totally sucks. I hope your mom recovers quick. Was your mom sick with a cold recently? If there was pus drained thru her chest tube it sounds like maybe she had a pneumonia that progressed to an empyema (pus collection). If that's the case, draining it and antibiotics should clear the infection up and after a couple/few of days (provided the drainage clears up and the lung remains inflated/reinflates) they should be able to remove the tube. It is typical that she would have daily chest xrays while the tube is in place and a couple once it's removed to make sure the lung remains inflated when the tube is out. Often patients will be placed on oxygen to help the lung inflate faster even if they don't really need it to oxygenate) If you have any questions about how they are managing your mom's care please feel free to ask me and I can try to explain what stuff means. KUP! (((((more hugs)))))
~Selena, mom to 3 boys: Alex 10, William 8. and Baby boy #3 Lukas Araya born 10/28/2012

Lukas was born with moderate to severe metopic craniosynostosis with trigonocephaly. Corrective surgery performed March 18, 2013. We are on the other side!!!
August 6th, 2012, 01:31 PM
Thanks ladies

Selena, there was no infection present, thankfully they didn't find anything on her xray. She had a cold though, so that may have been the cause. I can't remember the explanation she gave me for the pus though. She's on oxygen as well and we aren't sure when she's going to be released. We've all decided that since my sister is going to go on a cruise on Saturday (great timing, huh?), that the girls and I will drive down and stay with her next week while my sister is gone. That would be much better for her to have someone there while she's gone. I'll just have to rearrange a session, but it's all good.

I'm feeling better. Some of the things on my list are so minor, but paired with all the big things, it just seemed like too much.

August 6th, 2012, 02:30 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I'm sorry!! I will be thinking of your mom, KUP!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]

forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 6th, 2012, 07:29 PM
~l~
I am sorry it's been such a rough week! I hope your mom gets better quickly and that you enjoy spending time with her. ((Hugs))
August 6th, 2012, 08:44 PM
3kids3cats's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
That is a ton of rotten crap to happen in a week!
I hope your mom makes a speedy recovery and that things look up ASAP!

August 7th, 2012, 06:03 PM
BabyLove23's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Katherine - hows your mom doing?

Thank you peimum for my siggie!!!
August 7th, 2012, 07:09 PM
mollymalone's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Just reading this post. So sorry 30 has started out so rough for you. (((hugs)))

August 7th, 2012, 08:39 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
I hope your mom recovers quickly and that things are starting to look up for you!!
August 8th, 2012, 05:58 AM
Thanks everyone

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyLove23 View Post
Katherine - hows your mom doing?

Just updated the original post

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search