CAR SEATS - advice from btdt moms

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree4Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 6th, 2012, 09:09 AM
Super Mommy
Hi all...I have questions regarding car seat advice.
I want to get a convertible that goes from 5-65lbs, and bypass the whole infant carrier/travel system. DH wants us to do a travel system then when the baby is a little bigger switch to the convertible car seat.
We will be hiring a nanny so there will be no daycare drop off/pick up, and we won't be traveling very much the first few months since I work for an accounting firm and February through April are ridiculously busy for me. My thought was that since by the time we are actually able to be out and about the LO will be +/-5 months, it will no longer be convenient to use the infant carrier due to weight...

Any thoughts? Am I overlooking something? What have your experiences been using the infant carrier?
August 6th, 2012, 09:37 AM
LindsayGriff
I prefer the infant seat for a few reasons. When going to the store like the grocery store, if there is ever a time you need to take the baby, it is convenient to carry the infant seat in to set on the car because the baby is not able to sit up in the cart. Other ideas is you could just use a carrier like a moby wrap or something when going into a store. It is also convenient when at a resturant, again baby can't sit in high chair by itself at early ages and it is not convenient to hold the baby the whole time while eating out. Also, they fall asleep in the car often and it is nice to just take out the infant seat and not have to wake them, there were multiple times I just brought the infant carrier inside and kept the baby in there until the baby finally woke up on their own so that I did not wake them from their nap.

Thank you peimum for my siggy
August 6th, 2012, 09:41 AM
Leanne78's Avatar Nov 2012 DDC Co-Host
I probably couldn't have lived without my infant carrier. When Akadia was itty bitty, it really came in handy. Especially in stores and restaurants. I would just pop the carrier out of the base in the car and carry baby in wherever we needed to go. She would just hang out in her seat and usually nap in the store or wherever we were at. Kind of miss those days now!

August 6th, 2012, 09:48 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
We used a infant seat with dd and rarely carried it into store or dr appt. Maybe 1 or 2 times when she was sleeping but she always woke up and I ended up holding her or putting her into moby while shopping and then ergo when she was about 4 months old. AND something every mama should know about infant seats- the infant seat does not sit in the front part of the shopping cart in grocery stores!!!! It looks like it does- but the parts are made to latch onto the base in the car. So many people do this in grocery stores and I cringe. Sometimes I tell the parents when I see it. It's such a big mistake. There are stories that when babies are a few months old and can wiggle- an have flipped out of the shopping cart! And if baby isn't strapped in tight enough- they could be seriously injured!!!!! So please don't do it with your babies and the infant seat. Put the infant seat in the back, main part of the seat!

And with this one- new baby will have DDs Evenflo Triumph with a new insert I'm ordered for him from Evenflo. And DD is getting a new Britax Frontier 85.
August 6th, 2012, 10:05 AM
*Anna*'s Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Posting this info to show that infant seats should never go in the front of a cart- perched up.

http://carseatblog.com/10985/shoppin...nfant-carseat/
August 6th, 2012, 10:08 AM
rhill4455's Avatar Mom to 3 girls and a boy!
Send a message via AIM to rhill4455 Send a message via Yahoo to rhill4455
I don't do baby wearing so the infant carrier is a must to me. Being able to just put the infant carrier into a shopping cart (in the main cart part not in the seat part) or use it on a high chair while out eating is a must!! I love the convience of having the infant carrier especially when just needing to run in to a store real quick and not having to take baby out of the seat only to put her back in 5 minutes later. Its all a matter of preference!

August 6th, 2012, 10:11 AM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
I've read several places that the infant carrier is actually a bit safer in the early months when they are tiny...I get what you are saying, about not wanting to buy two seats, but I did find our infant seat really handy - you may not think you will be going a lot of places, but you'd be surprised...dr's appts, etc add up! I carried mine in theirs until they could sit up in the carts, etc and then just left the seat in the car when they got too heavy. They also fit a bit better rear-facing than a convertible, something to think about when you are trying to see what will fit in you car!

We're going with 2 Chicco Keyfits for the babies - just waiting for BRU trade in event!
August 6th, 2012, 12:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
I know many woman forgo the infant seat, but I never could. Like the other ladies the infant seat is much more convienant for me. I have a my ride 65 for later but I also have the snugride 30 for as long as we can use it.

August 6th, 2012, 12:07 PM
Glycerin19's Avatar Mindful Mama
I had an infant seat with my first three, but never liked it. All of them grew out of the seat too fast and it became too heavy to carry around. My third was 10lbs by the end of her first week. Mine always woke up when I moved them too. I was always jealous of my friends who brought their sleeping babies into places all buckled into their infant seats.

We are skipping the infant seat this time. I know I won't use it, and we are also not getting a stroller (since they usually come together.) I use slings or wraps and that's what they always end up in anyway, so we'll save some money this time.

Mom to Norah (12/5/2012), Stella (5), Elly (7), and Nick (12)

August 6th, 2012, 01:19 PM
KatherineD's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Send a message via AIM to KatherineD Send a message via Yahoo to KatherineD
I make tiny babies and have 2 older ones, so an infant seat is going to be a must for me! I do baby wear, but I really don't feel comfortable doing that in the winter months with a tiny baby. Plus there is no way mine would have fit in a convertible seat (heck, E really didn't fit well in an infant seat!!), so that is another thing to consider.

Thank you .h00dihoo.this. for my gorgeous siggy!!

August 6th, 2012, 01:33 PM
Katie81's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
I personally wouldn't skip the carrier in the beginning. We don't really use wraps or slings so when we go out to eat, to the mall, to Disney, etc. the baby stays in the carrier and sleeps most of the time. I also would rather strap the baby into the seat before leaving the house than have to fumble to get him/her strapped into a convertible while outside. It is nice to come home from being out and have the baby be asleep....just carry the carrier in the house and let the baby continue sleeping.
August 6th, 2012, 01:49 PM
Mega Super Mommy
Even though I will be baby wearing, a carrier is a must for a winter baby if you live in a colder climate. I kept DS#2 in his carrier as long as possible for this reason. You don't want to put a month old baby in a carseat that's been in 30* temps or lower. And you can get the shower cap style covers, it keeps them warm and also keeps nosey people and germs away.

August 6th, 2012, 02:17 PM
white.house's Avatar Kelli
I am also PRO infant car seat. I loved being able to carry him into restaurants, church, stores (when grocery shopping I always stuck the seat in the back part of the cart), and we even went to a couple movies when he was itty bitty.... I could carry the infant seat in and if he was asleep he'd stay asleep (I'd just drape a light receiving blanket over the top of it.
I don't want to be redundant and repost what the others have written, but I would recommend it!

eli grey [9.15.10]
jude lawrence [11.9.12]
forever loving our best girl, finley [born still 10.30.11]
August 6th, 2012, 02:44 PM
BlndGrl8's Avatar Kaitlin & Cameron's Mommy
We used the infant carrier until Kaitlin was about one year old. She didn't even weigh 22lbs at her one year check up. So you can definitely use it longer than 5 months if baby stays under the weight requirement

Also, it was so convenient to take the car seat out of the base and put it in the stroller without waking her up. Or taking the car seat to a restaurant was really convenient.

Are you planning on babywearing while you are out?
August 6th, 2012, 04:28 PM
meddleman's Avatar Loving my girls!!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by clm817 View Post
Even though I will be baby wearing, a carrier is a must for a winter baby if you live in a colder climate. I kept DS#2 in his carrier as long as possible for this reason. You don't want to put a month old baby in a carseat that's been in 30* temps or lower. And you can get the shower cap style covers, it keeps them warm and also keeps nosey people and germs away.
Yes, the winter is another reason to! I need to order some of those shower cap covers!
August 6th, 2012, 05:34 PM
The clerk at BRU told me some states/hospitals require an infant seat to leave. If you are doing a hospital birth you might want to ask about this if you wouldn't have one to borrow at least for that day. I am not sure of the logic behind that as I decided to just go with the infant seat up to 35 lbs and never asked my doctor about the policy at her facility.
August 6th, 2012, 08:46 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
hard to say my first was only 18/19 lbs at 1 year old.. very skinny scronny kid so it wasnt a big deal

my second on the other hand was already 23lbs at 6 months but we still used his infant carseat until he was 17 months old, because it had such a high limits on it.. but we stopped carrying it around when he was able to sit up on his own

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucybug99 View Post
The clerk at BRU told me some states/hospitals require an infant seat to leave. If you are doing a hospital birth you might want to ask about this if you wouldn't have one to borrow at least for that day. I am not sure of the logic behind that as I decided to just go with the infant seat up to 35 lbs and never asked my doctor about the policy at her facility.
you cant tell a parent what kind of carseat she can have so long as its within the weight requirements
::MummyToThree:: likes this.
August 7th, 2012, 05:49 AM
Platinum Supermommy
I never had an infant carrier with my first and never had any issues nor do I regret not having one.

With my second I did buy an infant carrier because my daughter had a lot of activities and with two kids I thought it would be easier.

This is bub number 3 and i've bought an infant carrier again but would have been just as happy without.

Never EVER put an infant carseat on top of a shopping cart! I witnessed a car seat fall off at Target when my son was a newborn... most horrific experience ever!!
August 7th, 2012, 06:26 AM
Super Mommy
Thanks Ladies! You've given me a LOT to consider that I didn't think about...especially the temperature, and living in New England.
August 7th, 2012, 02:35 PM
.h00dihoo.this.'s Avatar *Siggy.Legend*
Send a message via MSN to .h00dihoo.this. Send a message via Yahoo to .h00dihoo.this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ::MummyToThree:: View Post
I never had an infant carrier with my first and never had any issues nor do I regret not having one.

With my second I did buy an infant carrier because my daughter had a lot of activities and with two kids I thought it would be easier.

This is bub number 3 and i've bought an infant carrier again but would have been just as happy without.

Never EVER put an infant carseat on top of a shopping cart! I witnessed a car seat fall off at Target when my son was a newborn... most horrific experience ever!!
people don't seem to get that target carts were built the way they are for that very reason, so that carseats didnt snap on top and parents assumed it was okay.. our carseat wouldnt even fit in the target carts!

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search