Evening Primrose Oil??

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By LuxRuin
  • 2 Post By MJTKNT

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 10:20 AM
Mama to Aidan & Caleb
I'm more of a lurker then a poster since I'm busy with my 18 month old but I was reading somethings about Evening Primrose Oil and was wondering if anyone here has ever used it or is going to use it?

I did NOT with my son and he was born naturally at 40 weeks 5 days. I don't think this baby will make it that long but I'm curious

((Thank you so much Bokkechick for my beautiful signature photo))
August 7th, 2012, 10:48 PM
Blessed Mommy Of 5's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I have never used it. I have heard women mention that they tried it, but no one I know of tried it with any luck. I did find a link that discusses the use of evening primrose oil in inducing labor naturally.

Naturally Inducing Labor: Benefits And Drawbacks Of Evening Primrose

August 7th, 2012, 11:06 PM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I used it last time around, but ended up needing to be induced b/c of a fever. I'll try it again this time around though.

August 7th, 2012, 11:09 PM
LuxRuin's Avatar Veteran
I bought a bottle to use this time, and I plan on using it regularly until something happens, I'll start it at 36 weeks.

I have not used it in the past, but know women who have and it worked well for them. It's basically a primer, it gets your cervix ready so when the real thing happens, you're one step ahead and I am ALL FOR THAT!
LovesTheRain likes this.

-Sarah

DD #1: 13yo
DS #1: 10yo
DD #2: 5 yo
DS #2: Born September 22, 2012
August 8th, 2012, 06:25 AM
smashley8's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I'm confused, there's primrose oil that you take orally and then there's some that you take vaginally right? How does the vaginal one work? Do you shove a pill up there?

August 8th, 2012, 06:36 AM
morethanamom4's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
I've never tried it but have heard of it being used to naturally induce labor. However, I'm not sure of the success rates.

August 8th, 2012, 07:35 AM
3Sapphires's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
you can take it orally and/vaginally. vaginally works better to help "ripen" the cervix.

I took it with my second and he was born via natural onset of labor at 39w4d. (My first was a failed induction at 40w2d)

I plan on starting it again as soon as I hat 37 weeks.

Ashley, you basically just shove the pil up there as close to the cervix as you can get it. I plan on starting out with one at night, and then working up to 3. - wear a panty liner or something, it does leak out.

FF Chart**CrazyAmiCrochet**
Missing Our Angels gone too soon 6/5/10 & 3/1/14
Adam Michael 9/22/06 (c-section)~Nathan Joseph 9/4/08 (VBAC)~Lincoln Thomas 9/5/12 (VBAC)

August 8th, 2012, 09:14 AM
amazing_love's Avatar Platinum Supermommy
Never tried it. I'm sure i'm just being a big baby about it but the thought of putting a pill up in my lady parts just doesn't sound fun to me, LOL! I know with sex and childbirth this should seem like nothing but something about it turns me off. I *might* work up the courage to try it if i get desperate.

August 8th, 2012, 11:17 AM
bettyearl's Avatar Beth, mom to 4 boys
My friend delivered last week with the help of it

This was her 6th baby and she wasn't dilated much, nor having any contractions. Her midwife used the primrose vaginally and hooked her up to a breast pump for half an hour. Not 5 hrs later her son was born!
August 12th, 2012, 09:02 PM
Super Mommy
I have been inserting this for the past 3 nights.. Just 1 pill, I didn't know you could use more, and I didn't know you were supposed to insert it high ( Am I crazy that I don't know where my cervix is? LOL)

Anyway, I tried it with my first, and it didn't work, but this is my third, and I really need to have this baby before the 1st for school/ financial reasons... I'll be over 39 weeks, on my induction date: the 31st, but they say my cervix has to be favorable, so I'm hoping this helps.

ETA: will taking the pills orally along with it help more??
August 13th, 2012, 12:59 AM
MJTKNT's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Kelly- you can take them orally and vaginally. The oil is absorbed in your body either way, but vaginally is a more direct route. You can take it both ways.
3Sapphires and LovesTheRain like this.

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search