Vaccinations?

Welcome to the JustMommies Message Boards.

We pride ourselves on having the friendliest and most welcoming forums for moms and moms to be! Please take a moment and register for free so you can be a part of our growing community of mothers. If you have any problems registering please drop an email to boards@justmommies.com.

Our community is moderated by our moderation team so you won't see spam or offensive messages posted on our forums. Each of our message boards is hosted by JustMommies hosts, whose names are listed at the top each board. We hope you find our message boards friendly, helpful, and fun to be on!

Like Tree9Likes

Reply Post New Topic
  Subscribe To 2012 Playroom LinkBack Topic Tools Search this Topic Display Modes
August 7th, 2012, 10:52 AM
Nervous Newbie's Avatar Super Mommy
Not wanting to start a debate and sorry if this has been discussed before, but have been thinking about this more and curious about thoughts?

BTDT:
Are your kiddos vaccinated? If so, on what schedule? Alternative or Regular?
If not, then why?

FTM:
Are you planning on vaccinating? On what type of schedule?

Just started thinking about this more recently and wanting different opinions.
August 7th, 2012, 10:57 AM
Crystallee's Avatar Host of the Dec 2012 PR
FTM
Yes we are planning to vaccinate though it will be fairly delayed. We will be delaying all newborn vaccines for a bit and selectively choosing which ones to skip altogether or delay. We should be fully caught up with the ones we will be doing before daycare or preschool is started which likely won't be until 4 as we won't have a need for actual daycare. We will also be ordering all the vaccines separate instead of doing the combo vaccines. We will also order the thermasol free versions when available.

Thanks kiliki for my siggie!
August 7th, 2012, 11:02 AM
anna.rose's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We did all vaccines except chicken pox which she'll likely get the vaccine before starting school if she doesn't get the pox. Working in a public school and having a cousin with mental disabilities who CAN'T be vaccinated and is at risk for all these dangerous diseases (cousin almost died of whooping cough) makes me want my child to be vaccinated so she's not the one giving the diseases to those who can't be protected and are at the most risk. It's something a lot of people don't take into consideration and I wish they would. I'm not trying to start a debate either, just throwing the fact out there that some kids legitimately cannot be vaccinated and get hit the worst with things like whooping cough and chicken pox.

Thanks to *Kiliki* for my beautiful siggy!
August 7th, 2012, 11:11 AM
BrooklynBump's Avatar neurotic newbie
Absolutely vaccinating on the standard schedule.

August 7th, 2012, 11:26 AM
Becky_78's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
As I said before, I have a PhD in immunology. We are completely vaccinating - for the health of my son and those around him.

The only thing I might delay is the HepB vaccine - their immune system isn't really mature enough before 2 months so I'm not sure why they give it at birth. I guess they want parents to start the series as soon as possible.

Oh - and I'm all for me (and those coming in direct, constant contact with the baby) getting the dtap booster and flu vaccine, too.
*treefrog* and Punky.Brew like this.

photo(5) by rebwend, on Flickr

August 7th, 2012, 11:44 AM
LindseyF's Avatar Expecting 2nd Dec Baby!
BTDT: Are your kiddos vaccinated? I followed a delayed & selective vaccination schedule with DS & will do so with DD.
If not, then why? I was very pro-vaccination prior to getting pregnant, but I've always been a fan of looking at the other side of an argument to simply educate oneself. After months of researching both sides (books, speaking with parents on both sides, even conferences), my feelings/opinions changed.

"To vaccinate, or not to vaccinate" is by far the toughest decision I've made as a parent. But I can not encourage everyone enough to simply learn both sides of the coin. This is something you have to feel comfortable with, because there are possible consequences to each route -- if an issue does arise, at least you will feel like you made what you felt was the best decision. I've come to respect both parents who fully vaccinate & those who don't vaccinate at all, as I can see why each would make that decision.
August 7th, 2012, 11:47 AM
Blcooper32's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Dd got delayed shots but most were accidental because she had a severe rash and the wanted to make sure it wasn't from her 1st shot. I didn't let them give her the hepB at birth as she was so small so I didn't think she would be able to handle it. They gave it to her at 1 week after we seen that she was growing fine.

thank you bokkechick for my wonderful siggy

August 7th, 2012, 12:18 PM
~Landon's Mommy~'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
HepB we delayed and MMR we delayed. We also only allowed two vaccines per visit. I just feel like four vaccines into one little body is too much. Landon will be 3 next month and is now fully vaccinated.

Little brother!
August 7th, 2012, 12:21 PM
MarlowesMum's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
We vaccinated with DD on the regular schedule. Our daycare is NAEYC accredited and requires updated vaccinations for all students. We also get both flu and dtap boosters as parents. We've had no issues with anyone having reactions or adverse problems.
August 7th, 2012, 12:35 PM
rlh27's Avatar Caleb's Mommy!
We'll vaccinate, though possibly on a delayed schedule. When I decide on a pediatrician, I'll discuss it with him. I got very sick after one of the vaccines when I was a baby, so if those kinds of reactions are genetic, we'll probably just do a delayed or more spread out schedule. Should be no big deal since I'll be a SAHM and won't need to worry about day care and stuff. And as an FYI, as somebody with a master's degree in special ed, there is no concrete evidence that vaccines cause autism. In fact, when I worked with very young kids (18 months and younger), I worked with one boy that his mother delayed all of his vaccines and he was showing signs of autism before he had any vaccines. And to be honest, it's insulting to imply to a parent with a child with severe autism that their child wouldn't have a disability if they had just not given him or her a vaccine. *steps off of soapbox*
August 7th, 2012, 12:47 PM
Super Mommy
We vaccinate though it is a bit delayed. Usually because I'm late to schedule the appointments!

The only thing I don't do is the Flu vaccine or the Hep B until much later. My 2.5 yr still hasn't had either. I don't think he'll ever have the Flu vax, I just don't think it to be beneficial unless you are extremely high risk and the Hep B will hold off until he enters school. We just don't have a contact issue for me to think it's worthwhile right now.
Gripstress likes this.
August 7th, 2012, 12:56 PM
I think by now that most people are aware that it has nothing to do with preventing autism by delaying vaccines. At least I hope so. I do think that some of those that vaccinate or vaccinate on schedule don't understand that those that don't or delay it don't always do so because of irrational autism fears. Something else to consider is that every state has personal exemptions available to allow children to go to school without vaccinations or without one the required ones or whatever. Some private daycares simply choose to not allow it but those that are state certified and ran usually accept all of the state allowed exemptions which usually include in almost every state personal reasons, religious reasons, and medical reasons for exemptions. I personally will vaccinate almost everything that is required and almost on the schedule so by the time school hits, it likely wouldn't be an issue but if for some reason I had to do daycare or something before that, I would likely have to fill out the exemption paperwork but it is still allowed. It isn't a choice of do I want to vaccinate or have my kiddo go to daycare/school.

August 7th, 2012, 12:59 PM
The Truth is out There
DH and I haven't really discussed it, but there wasn't an issue with either of us getting our vaccines, so we'll probably just go with the standard schedule.
If there was something in either of our histories that was a reaction, we'd delayed and only 2 shots at a time.

August 7th, 2012, 01:11 PM
I mostly want to spread them apart a bit because I am allergic to so many stupid things and have such weird reactions that if my kiddo follows suit, I want to know exactly which vaccine caused an issue, not having 4 on one day and not having a clue which one caused it. Stupid genes! lol My parents never got my later on vaccines for me like boosters, I had to do kind of a make up schedule as an adult because they were terrible about scheduling appointments and remembering to do things. I got all my ones as a kiddo but I worry because I have had so many adverse reactions later in life. Blah

August 7th, 2012, 01:26 PM
gardenbelle's Avatar Mega Super Mommy
Yes, we vaccinate but on the Dr Sears schedule. To each their own.
FTMs: knowledge is power - research a ton and then come up with your own decision.
August 7th, 2012, 03:01 PM
Mega Super Mommy
We'll be doing delayed and selective vaccinations.

August 7th, 2012, 03:42 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
I have always vaccinated though like Punky we are sometimes behind on scheduling but not by too much I also did the gardisil for my teen and will to for my 10 y/o soon.

I'm just going to go ahead and say that most, not all, people who don't get vaccines for their kids are counting on everyone else's kids to make it safe for their's. If we lived in a country with no vaccines, there would be so many horrid illnesses killing and making our kids sick. Those same people would be lining up to get vaccines. I would rather take the risks that go along and get all kids vaccinated for the good of everyone. Some people with weaker immune systems are dying today because of things like whooping cough which are preventable.

I do understand delaying some and not getting too many shots in one visit. I've had them stick my baby in every limb before and won't allow it anymore.

Obviously I do not mean to include those who cannot take vaccines in this. Those are some of the people we should be protecting by getting our kids vaccinated.

I do get flu shots for my family yearly but that is a personal decision, particularly since it's not 100% effective.
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 7th, 2012, 03:51 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gripstress View Post
I'm just going to go ahead and say that most, not all, people who don't get vaccines for their kids are counting on everyone else's kids to make it safe for their's. If we lived in a country with no vaccines, there would be so many horrid illnesses killing and making our kids sick. Those same people would be lining up to get vaccines.
I don't particularly think that is a fair assumption as most non vaccinating moms that I know don't think that ANYONE should get vaccines. It isn't that they think "oh everybody else will protect my kid" they simply don't think the risks outweigh the benefits in their minds and many have beliefs of building up natural immunities and that breastfeeding builds up a lot of immunity. I don't necessarily agree with them otherwise I wouldn't vaccinate but I don't think it is fair to say that that is why they make the choices they do. Just my two cents. I have researched and researched until my face turned blue (or my fingers) but when you read all the reasons why someone chose not to vaccinate, they have reasons and concerns, not just because they might get autism because of a bogus study or because they figure they can mooch off everyone else having them. I can see the mindset that if they truly felt they were dangerous for whatever reason that they wouldn't or shouldn't give them to their child because they are going with their gut on what feels right. That is really all we can do at the end of the day. Just like mine tells me that my baby would be safer with some of the vaccines, others tell them that it could harm their child in some way or goes against what they think.

August 7th, 2012, 04:25 PM
Gripstress's Avatar GothMom
Well I wonder if they would still not get them if nobody had them. People may say that is not the case but if it meant your kid in an iron lung for a year or so, or worse, or a vaccine I'm just thinking most would opt for a vaccine. Just my opinion...
Phoenix 12/14/01, Pascale 06/03/05
& baby Wren on 12/10/12

August 7th, 2012, 04:44 PM
*treefrog*'s Avatar Mega Super Mommy
BTDT mom here....we vaccinate on the recommended schedule. No issues, thank goodness, so far. Being a part of the medical field, I've done a ton of research on the topic...I feel it is the best decision for my family
Crystallee likes this.

Our family is complete

Topic Tools Search this Topic
Search this Topic:

Advanced Search